Wiki Posts
Search

UUA to First incurs extra "Tax"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Aha so the original booking was LHR-BOS rtn out in W and back in J ...
Has MANtraveller actually said this?

I'm wondering whether this was a MAN-LHR-BOS-LHR-MAN booking (don't ask me why I've wildly guessed that), and this is an example of the problems that arise with YQ calculations when there is no set of combinable cash fares that can be used to calculate the correct TFCfor the upgraded itinerary.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has MANtraveller actually said this?
This is why I have stated it. If my assumption is wrong the OP can correct.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Additional data point: I recently UUA a LGW to JFK return from WT+ to CW. Holiday booking (flight plus car). Had to do the upgrade over the phone which cost £150 + Avios each way in fees.
This seemed much higher than I remembered (usually sub £100 e/w). The agent claimed this was because 'The taxes are higher from Gatwick'. Didn't seem anything to be gained from challenging this, so I paid and went on my way.

In my case it certainly made the value of the UUA marginal. I could have made the original booking in J for about £250 more. I tried to cancel and re-book, but also discovered in the process that holiday bookings do not have the 24 hour cooling-off period.

Last edited by dca100; Jun 4, 2019 at 9:40 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:54 am

I've recently tried to upgrade my LHR- IAD avios booking from CW to F in August. Booked originally at T-354 and paid roughly £555 per ticket in taxes and fees. Availability opened up and phoned BA for F upgrade. The extra charges for the upgrade were £35 per change (as expected), 20k avios and £124pp, due to the increase in taxes and fees from when I booked, compared to today (ie £669 vs £555)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dca100
Additional data point: I recently UUA a LGW to JFK return from WT+ to CW. Holiday booking (flight plus car). Had to do the upgrade over the phone which cost £150 + Avios each way in fees.
This seemed much higher than I remembered (usually sub £100 e/w). The agent claimed this was because 'The taxes are higher from Gatwick'. Didn't seem anything to be gained from challenging this, so I paid and went on my way.
It is quite possible that this is the result of originally booking a Dual Inventory Fare (DIF) for WTP. These are cheaper WTP fares because the carrier surcharge is set lower than normal, so if you upgrade the difference to CW can be higher than expected. I recently booked a WTP to JFK and upgraded out and back to CW, extra TFC was around £150-200

Originally Posted by Yozza77
I've recently tried to upgrade my LHR- IAD avios booking from CW to F in August. Booked originally at T-354 and paid roughly £555 per ticket in taxes and fees. Availability opened up and phoned BA for F upgrade. The extra charges for the upgrade were £35 per change (as expected), 20k avios and £124pp, due to the increase in taxes and fees from when I booked, compared to today (ie £669 vs £555)
Not sure on this one. Is it just a one way LHR-IAD on BA? Doing some dummy reward bookings on ba,com a one way LHR-IAD for both J and F price for TFC of £446.52. There isn't any difference in TFC between J and F.

Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom GBP 46.62
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom GBP 172.00
Immigration User Fee - USA GBP 5.50
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA GBP 3.10
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA GBP 14.70
Customs User Fee - USA GBP 4.60
Carrier imposed charge GBP 200.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total taxes, fees, carrier imposed charges GBP 446.52
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:15 am

Not sure on this one. Is it just a one way LHR-IAD on BA? Doing some dummy reward bookings on ba,com a one way LHR-IAD for both J and F price for TFC of £446.52. There isn't any difference in TFC between J and F.
It's a return LHR - IAD , BOS - LHR both in CW.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Yozza77
It's a return LHR - IAD , BOS - LHR both in CW.
Ok. Well looking at a the TFC for LHR-IAD/BOS-LHR in J all on BA current TFC is about £669 which is the same as F as well. So if you originally paid £555 I think perhaps you booked prior to some recent increase which is now being clawed back when you do the change.
Yozza77 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is quite possible that this is the result of originally booking a Dual Inventory Fare (DIF) for WTP. These are cheaper WTP fares because the carrier surcharge is set lower than normal, so if you upgrade the difference to CW can be higher than expected. I recently booked a WTP to JFK and upgraded out and back to CW, extra TFC was around £150-200
Does this apply on ex-LON fares, too? I have yet to see a DIF with a lower YQ than a non-DIF.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Does this apply on ex-LON fares, too? I have yet to see a DIF with a lower YQ than a non-DIF.
not sure on exLON, sorry. My example (and previous examples I have come across) are exUK but not starting in London.

Any theories for dca100's example? I guess it could be the same as Yozza77 so booked at a carrier surcharge rate prior to a general increase and doing the upgrade after the increase?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:15 am

As far as i’m aware its simply that the carrier sucharge for first has been increased on flights from the US. But does apply if you are ex LON and it the inbound flight. The examples i’ve handled were looking at Uua from Club to first on an inbound flight of an itinerary.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any theories for dca100's example?
Nothing obvious, other than what you've suggested ie an increase in TFC levels.

The difference between today's TFC for a WT+ round-trip and a CW round-trip LON-NYC-LON is £200, entirely accounted for YQ being £200 and £400 respectively.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Anonba
As far as i’m aware its simply that the carrier sucharge for first has been increased on flights from the US. But does apply if you are ex LON and it the inbound flight. The examples i’ve handled were looking at Uua from Club to first on an inbound flight of an itinerary.
Last week I upgraded 2 flights from CW to F (both inbound from a U.S. airport to LHR on an ex-KBP itinerary) and did not have to pay anything.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jun 4, 2019 at 12:23 pm Reason: Clarify the starting point
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Last week I upgraded 2 flights from CW to F (both from a U.S. airport to LHR) and did not have to pay anything.
Did the first sector of the ticket originate in the US? If so you were fortunate.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This doesn’t sound correct. Surely you cannot charge US-origin YQ on a UK-origin ticket.
If that were the case then a US customer upgrading the return UK-US portion of his ticket should then receive a refund.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
No I don't think that's right at all. The extra fees only seems to apply for tickets originating in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.