Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Review LHR-DME SVO-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Mini Review LHR-DME SVO-LHR

Outbound: LHR -DME 787-9 Club World

Overall a very good flight. Club world was about half full though, which meant the service was excellent. I did walk to the back and WT was 100% full and the crew said that club was oversold on the return - which gives hope to the regulars that Moscow isn’t a currently facing the same fate as St P.

Salmon starter was excellent and well presented. I also had the full English, which most of us will have experienced before. Champagne much better filled than the pre departure thimble.

The club kitchen was fully stocked throughout and drinks pro-actively offered for the whole 3.5 hours - a very good use of 5000 Avios to upgrade from WTP.

We landed on time at 14.30, I was first off, but could see that people at the back would have had to wait a while for immigration, but I made the 3pm airport express.

The return SVO - LHR in WT

Having not seen a recent thread on this, I thought I would add this for reference.

I’d never been in Wt on this aircraft before and wasn’t stunned by it, first impression was that it looks tired in club and wt and the seat felt like it had lost all its padding the head rest was also rock solid and not at a comfortable height (as it kept dropping down). I went for 9d, which was front Bulkhead aisle, due to not being able to select the exit row for free or the bulkhead window seats as they are technically bassinets. Legroom in this row was compatible to CE row 1 on an a320 and is your best choice in terms of getting off first, getting drinks first and being able to get in and out easily.

Crew weren’t very well organised or pro-active, but were happy to give extra beverages if asked. They ran out of ice and lemon very early on in the flight though, speedbird IPA was also not available. The food was literally half a sandwich, I failed to take a photo of it, but it just looked so tight as it was clearly cut in half. It also had a tiny flapjack underneath it, so certainly make sure you get on this flight having already eaten!

Like the outbound the flight was packed in WT and full in club as well, which again hopefully bodes well for the route staying alive.

SVO airport is standard Russia, I would not Leave less than 2 hours to get though, the queue for passports and then security were both long (far worse than I have ever seen at st p). The lounge was nothing special, but there were a few more bars and restaurants than St P to occupy you.

Row 9 looking into club

Lounge

Ice and lemonless G&t

Summary - I think I would choose the 789 from DME every time here, the aero express was not much longer to get to DME and the larger aircraft was nicer to fly on. Plus with a wider range of cabins, there will always be more chances of POUGs and Avios upgrades etc. I certainly wouldn’t take the overnight option as I can’t see that you’d ever get more than 1.5 hours sleep on this flight.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: GGLfL
The 789 to DME is by far the best way to travel. The A321 runs out of everything on the return, plus as you note the seats in CW are in a bad way with many seats left with little padding/air in the them. The lounge at SVO is pretty bad. Food in the DME lounge has recently improved and it better than it used to be, with a decent selection of salads, meats, vegetables, pasta.

It's funny that the menu continues to invite you to pre-select your main course, which you can't do (and have never been able to do) on DME/SVO routes, amongst others.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
SVO is indeed far less efficient than DME (the fact that they are currently having severe shortages of luggage handlers doesn't help); however, SVO is easier to get to from some parts of Moscow (particularly from around Tverskaya/Belorusskaya where you get an express train). SVO also gets a later departure than DME (18:35 vs 16:50), which for short trips can make a difference (on the other hand, LHR-SVO leg is less efficient as it takes up better part of a day). Aircraft point, although valid, is less airport-related as DME has 1 daily flight on A321s, and 787/777 rotation sometimes gets subbed to A321 as well.

I think it's nice to have SVO as an extra option, particularly for onward domestic connections in Russia via Aeroflot. The biggest drawback of the current set up is that if something happens to an earlier DME flight (or if you are running late to the airport), there is no option to switch to a later flight anymore.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Do the A321 mid haul have TVs for economy class passengers? Didn't realise that.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

I can now improve this thread with a shot of the DME lounge, which is far superior to SVO, the 789 is now my flight of choice on this route in any cabin without doubt, based on the superior plane and all round much better airport experience at DME which includes fast track security, unlike any other Russian BA destination. Will pap some of the food and drinks this week. Flying in WTP both ways, so will also report on service.

Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Joshm300
the 789 is now my flight of choice on this route in any cabin without doubt
789 and 772 are replaced with A321’s on LHR-DME for the November-March period, which is a shame

Last edited by FlyingAlbatros; Sep 16, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshm300
I’d never been in Wt on this aircraft before and wasn’t stunned by it, first impression was that it looks tired in club and wt and the seat felt like it had lost all its padding the head rest was also rock solid and not at a comfortable height (as it kept dropping down).
I sat in that exact seat on a mid-A321 about a year-and-a-half ago.
Made a complaint as the headrest dug into my neck and would slide down into its lowest position after about 30 seconds... Good to see BA has taken no action!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:18 pm

Mmm. What a large lunula you have...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
which gives hope to the regulars that Moscow isn’t a currently facing the same fate as St P.
Which is what, exactly?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by salut0
Which is what, exactly?
Chopped along with Kiev.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Did you do this in one day or with an overnight stop?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Chopped along with Kiev.
I assume there’s still AY via HEL
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelsbyplane
Did you do this in one day or with an overnight stop?
Nope, 2 night stay on that occasion, you wouldn’t be able to cross Moscow in time to make the return from SVO. The only way I would day trip is on the overnight a321 to DME and then take either of the later services from SVO or DME. If you don’t have a visa, I wouldn’t entertain it as a day out, I’ve just queued for an hour at passport control after landing behind Emirates.
travelsbyplane likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Without a visa, why would you go through passport control? Asking for a friend
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:47 am

And I have to ride in a recliner seat on BOS-LAX (5.5 to 6h)...this looks great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.