Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by OftenLost99
Currently at LHR, booked on a flight to Washington. To move from WT to WT+ was 70,000 EACH and WT to CW was 120,000 EACH!

Even the really nice person at the desk said, “this is far too much I can’t understand why”. For info, a standard WT redemption is about 30,000 return.

Madness.
That is very high... but is there any cash exchanging hands for the tax at all? If not then it could be lucrative for the Avios rich, because zero impact on bank balance.

How that's worked out in the potential future on other routes from other destinations I don't know. Especially when an exUS departure from, say, ORD-LHR WTP-CW will cost several hundred dollars in tax on top of the Avios amount.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Next up: Economy passengers allowed to drink J champagne, but at 500GBP a glass.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Data point: 16 July, LHR-HND was quoted as “between 120k-135k Avios” for upgrade from Club to First, which was swiftly followed by comment from check-in desk that everybody says it’s too expensive.

Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
July 3rd - Asked at the desk in B lounge, for cost of upgrade using avios CW to F, LHR-SFO. They had a laminated sheet of A4 with the redemption levels printed out. 110,000 per person. Declined.

The lady I spoke to didn't seem particularly surprised by my response.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:38 pm

This was available today, I asked at checkin as I had to get my visa checked anyway. It didn’t seem to be dependent on reward availability, just seat availability.

I had to go to desks 1 & 2 in the first wing as they couldn’t process it at club checkin (what a treat as a silver). The cost from WTP to CW for LHR-DME was 60,000 avios!!! Usually it’s 4000 online to do it off peak on this route, so I declined.

Bit of a joke really!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Joshm300
This was available today, I asked at checkin as I had to get my visa checked anyway. It didn’t seem to be dependent on reward availability, just seat availability.

I had to go to desks 1 & 2 in the first wing as they couldn’t process it at club checkin (what a treat as a silver). The cost from WTP to CW for LHR-DME was 60,000 avios!!! Usually it’s 4000 online to do it off peak on this route, so I declined.

Bit of a joke really!
It's only a joke because you compare it to the normal Avios upgrade.

All BA is doing is taking the cash price to upgrade, giving you 0.5p per Avios and quoting you that number of points.

The problem is that people don't see it that way.
navylad and wilsnunn like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Joshm300

Yes, it's a bit funny that the only desk usually staffed is now in the First Wing, on the left hand side. It implies that Golds are seen as the best source of bookings, when persumably they are also most likely to clued up on the alternatives.

The huge gap in this case is due to the fact that DME still qualifies for Reward Flight Saver, and in the case of Moscow RFS is a total bargain. Unsurprisingly it's not always available. That is essentially £600 for the upgrade, which wouldn't be too outrageous on say LHR-CAI, compared to UuA of around 11k or 12k. Plus it's the one way to burn Avios to earn Tier Points. But it's an expensive way to use Avios relative to other options.
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Appreciating most seam to be comparing with the Avios upgrade rate, I have been known to part-pay to burn through some Avios; I wonder whether which is more cost effective.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by navylad
Appreciating most seam to be comparing with the Avios upgrade rate, I have been known to part-pay to burn through some Avios; I wonder whether which is more cost effective.
To generalise massively - there are a lot of variations so that really the specifics matter. I'm ignoring the fact that those with a * also earn while churning, at varying amounts
- Airport Avios Upgrade: 0.4 to 0.6 pence per Avios *
- Part pay via BA.com: 0.6p (sometimes there is a promotion on which gets nearer to 1p) *
- Reduce redemption Avios with more cash: 1p (can quirk up to 1.2p) at certain bands only
- Upgrade Using Avios: can easily be 2p per Avios or more but generally best at WTP to CW.*
- Redemptions with tax paid: 1p to 2p range. Often unrealistic at WT level when compared to inflexible revenue Basic fares
- Redemptions but paying tax in cash: 2p to 3p range often possible, particularly RFS
- Best redemptions (e.g. Santorini, Moscow): can go to 5p
- Best redemptions plus Gold Priority Reward: at best 2.5p generally, but always the option to flex to a normal redemption at the last moment. Easter and Half term sweet spot.

So the problem with Airport Avios Upgrades is that for you are typically getting £50 per 1000 Avios, when it's not impossible to get £500 of value in another context.
Mirp likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To generalise massively - there are a lot of variations so that really the specifics matter. I'm ignoring the fact that those with a * also earn while churning, at varying amounts
- Airport Avios Upgrade: 0.4 to 0.6 pence per Avios *
- Part pay via BA.com: 0.6p (sometimes there is a promotion on which gets nearer to 1p) *
- Reduce redemption Avios with more cash: 1p (can quirk up to 1.2p) at certain bands only
- Upgrade Using Avios: can easily be 2p per Avios or more but generally best at WTP to CW.*
- Redemptions with tax paid: 1p to 2p range. Often unrealistic at WT level when compared to inflexible revenue Basic fares
- Redemptions but paying tax in cash: 2p to 3p range often possible, particularly RFS
- Best redemptions (e.g. Santorini, Moscow): can go to 5p
- Best redemptions plus Gold Priority Reward: at best 2.5p generally, but always the option to flex to a normal redemption at the last moment. Easter and Half term sweet spot.

So the problem with Airport Avios Upgrades is that for you are typically getting £50 per 1000 Avios, when it's not impossible to get £500 of value in another context.
many thanks, that info is very useful ( and yes note your point of generialisation).. Obviously it will unliely be the most economical way based purly on value of Avios, but reamins an option to effectively purchase TPs, for example as you are aware home for me is in MAN and I work in London, so fly up and down fairly regularly, if my Avios pile is getting rather large, I'll chip away at it now and again at the moment with Part-Pay, booking a CE booking to get 40TPs. As an alternative, and taking into account AUP rates, there may be occassions where it is more economical too book a Y ticket and AUP with Avios.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:44 am

Here is the desk where these UuA-AUPs can take place, the screen says "Avios Upgrade".

H16 is the last desk of the Club World / Sapphire check-in area, and the nearest to the entrance of the First Wing at the South end. There wasn't any such signage in the First Wing that I could see. Unfortunately this was rather early this morning, before the service opened up, so I was unable to enquire more (e.g. if the ticketing ends up in the main AUP buckets).
For info, I note the ‘customer relations/bookings desks’ in F wing now scroll through to Avios upgrades, there were two desks with it when I went through today at 5pm.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any idea if this is still in play ? I know the rates were unfavourable - but have a shed load of Avios to burn !
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Any idea if this is still in play ? I know the rates were unfavourable - but have a shed load of Avios to burn !
Yes, it's still available and still lousy value, but not much worse than part pay with Avios.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it's still available and still lousy value, but not much worse than part pay with Avios.
Many thanks corporate-wage-slave I’ve abandoned this idea
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
When I consider that I got >3p/Avio value from my recent WTP/CW upgrades (and that's net of the cash element), I think you'd have to be seriously Avios rich to consider using them this way! Or maybe I'm just picky...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.