Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus

Hmmm, mental picture of many nervous 13 year old internet junkies sweating in their basements praying that the one *real* GGL/CCR adult flies somewhere, (anywhere!) soon!!

I wish I was 13 again

If only I could use this an an excuse to pop away! Don't think the Mrs would approve. 'So why are you going away'? 'Oh, just to find out what the cost is to upgrade a ticket using avios, but more like an AUP with Avios rather than a UUA'. The Mrs would reply something like 'Oh, of course '
Dambus likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
The guy i travelled with yesterday was quoted 60k for WT to WTP upgrade on a LHR-ORD. WT to CW was 120k.
Mental!
Dambus, DYKWIA, Sealink and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice way for BA to roadtest redemption rates for the next Exec Club devaluation 😉
Dambus, DYKWIA, Stez and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
What are you inferring about blue BA Amex cardholders? I've been using mine for day-to-day spending for the last 3 months, because Amex offered me an earning rate of 2 avios per £, so it suddenly became the highest-earning card on the market, bar none. Admittedly I don't use it at the ticket gates because I'd then miss out on Railcard savings, but don't assume you know why someone is using a particular card...
You got a personal offer, nice. I think the point of the post you quoted was that the Blue card is a poor deal compared to the Black one. The fee seems hefty, but the extra Avios and quicker access to the 2 year 241 rather than the 1 year one for twice the spend make the paid card a much better deal. I assume the suggestion was if you’re here or on HfP you’d have known (and agreed) with that.
no2blues likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
The guy i travelled with yesterday was quoted 60k for WT to WTP upgrade on a LHR-ORD. WT to CW was 120k.
Mental!
Very expensive would be my choice of wording. To put that in context, a normal UuA, WT to WTP would be 13k Avios plus approx £90, which using the 1p an Avios model = £220. A cash AUP would usually be about £200 or a little less, so that's the best value particularly if it was a Basic fare. This upgrade comes in at £600, which you can see is rather a nice way for IAG in terms of liquidating working capital at 0.3p per Avios.

Three points though
- one anecdote only.
- Two class jumps apparently allowed
- The source revenue booking may have been in a non-upgradeable bucket - for Avios. So normal UuA may not be possible

Still you would have be fairly cash poor, Avios rich, to take this up.

[And this non 13 year old - I can't even remember being 13 - is still in Pakistan so I'm not well placed to find out more].
Dambus and Stez like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:59 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

If BA uses their perceived cash value of Avios to effectively purchase a cash upgrade then I would hope that it’s treated as such and awards Avios and TP for the upgraded cabin. If treated as an Avios upgrade, ie. UUA but at a different rate, then of course you recieve based on the cabin you originally paid for. We willnot know until the beast is unleashed.

There is another way if equalising it. I will leave you to work it out and hope BA don't guess and implement it anyway.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Mental!
Wow - that is awful. At least with an AUP you end up with the extra Avios and TPs. The only thing I can say is that at least you have the option of a double cabin upgrade with Avios.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Wow - that is awful. At least with an AUP you end up with the extra Avios and TPs. The only thing I can say is that at least you have the option of a double cabin upgrade with Avios.
We are assuming an AUP cost though. For all we know, this flight could have been very busy with 1 WTP seat left and £600 would have been the AUP cash cost. I think it would be good to know (in the future) what the cash AUP is and the Avios AUP. Hopefully after a few datapoints, we can work out what value BA are giving per Avios point....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Just had a note from a HFP reader who was quoted 65,000 Avios to upgrade CW to F to AUH.

The standard 'gap' if F seats had opened up in advance and he had called to upgrade would have been 18,000 off-peak and 20,000 peak (plus change fee and any extra taxes). However, our man was on a 2-4-1 so the net cost for him, upgrading in advance, would only have been 9,000 Avios off-peak or 10,000 peak.

Quite a difference, to put it mildly. I am assuming this is driven off a £300 cash cost.

He was told at the upgrade desk that only TWO people have chosen to upgrade over the last 2 days.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Just had a note from a HFP reader who was quoted 65,000 Avios to upgrade CW to F to AUH.

The standard 'gap' if F seats had opened up in advance and he had called to upgrade would have been 18,000 off-peak and 20,000 peak (plus change fee and any extra taxes). However, our man was on a 2-4-1 so the net cost for him, upgrading in advance, would only have been 9,000 Avios off-peak or 10,000 peak.

Quite a difference, to put it mildly. I am assuming this is driven off a £300 cash cost.

He was told at the upgrade desk that only TWO people have chosen to upgrade over the last 2 days.
Indeed, tha valuation seems to be even below the 0.5p.

I am on BA9 tomorrow so will enquire what the cost is for W-->J (though seeing loads of J6W6Y6 I will not be buying as it's perfectly ripe for an opup)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by TTmex
Sounds interesting but won't get excited until pricing becomes clear. Also, what about taxes?. If you upgrade from wtp to CW in some routes then the taxes increase 250 to 300 usd. Would you still have to pay that or would they charge 40000 avios instead of, say, 20000.
I assume this is why Raffles has quoted some quote toppy pricing, must include taxes uplift too.

Probably will suit some
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BA gold
I know I said upthread this seemed like a good idea, but not at those rates. I wonder if it will flucuate in the trial as BA finds the sweet spot where enough pax are prepared to stump up.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I have been reading through here and it seems that some people are interpreting this AUP using Avios differently to others (enquiring about taxes etc etc)

From all that I have read, (which is surely as much as others here have!) it seems to be exactly the same as a standard AUP but paid using Avios instead of cash (although the Avios and TP earning is still subject to speculation) with some predetermined exchange rate Avios to Cash.

So double class upgrades would be expected the same way that they would with an AUP and the tax change would be included within the cost of the upgrade just paid with Avios instead of cash.

happy to be corrected if I am wrong!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have been reading through here and it seems that some people are interpreting this AUP using Avios differently to others (enquiring about taxes etc etc)

From all that I have read, (which is surely as much as others here have!) it seems to be exactly the same as a standard AUP but paid using Avios instead of cash (although the Avios and TP earning is still subject to speculation) with some predetermined exchange rate Avios to Cash.

So double class upgrades would be expected the same way that they would with an AUP and the tax change would be included within the cost of the upgrade just paid with Avios instead of cash.

happy to be corrected if I am wrong!
Thats how I read it too.

The rates seem very high (they may be, but so are AUP usually looking at that thread) but if there is no tax to pay on top they may not be as bad as they first seem.

The difference between WTP and J is a lot tax wise so simply comparing to the redemption chart is misleading.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The Avios prices being mentioned are extraordinary! I've just had a look through some old bookings, where we used to fly a couple of times a year JER-UK-IAD and invariably did UuA from WT+ to CE/CW both ways. In 2010 the UuA to CE/CW was costing us 25,000 Avios each, in 2012 it had gone down to 20,000 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.