Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lhr - nyc - lhr

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

My flight landed at 2.30pm.. i have only ever had a longer experience and that was in San francisco in 2012 where it took 3 hours to get to my bags.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Departing from JFK is better than arriving unless Global Entry. The terminal is past its use-by date and will be demolished in a few years.
On my last transit through JFK just over a month ago, I went from leaving the plane to the AA Flagship lounge in T8 in under 30 minutes, which included a short queue to present my Global Entry receipt at the desk.

I - and probably everyone else that holds it - really can't recommend GE (and importantly the associated TSAPre) highly enough. I cannot begin to imagine how many hours my c. £130 "investment" has saved me over the last nearly 5 years, even only averaging a US visit every 4 months or so. Two visits a year, so 10 visits over the course of the membership period, would still be an absolute no-brainer for me - keeping this BA-specific, at places like T7 where the general queues can be unpredictable, you don't have to worry about a missed connection and the associated risk of being downgraded to Y from J/F, your whole experience is so much more relaxed and predictable, and you can arrive much closer to your return flight time with TSAPre membership (although this is less of an advantage at JFK on BA).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Unfortunately i only go one, at a push, two times a year so the $100 is, in no way, worth it for me especially as i am already staying in hostels in nyc to save cash.
I respect your travel style but for the avoidance of doubt it is $100 for five years = $20 per trip (assuming annual trips) plus better security experience departing (due to Precheck), which is less than one night's hostel stay.
SK likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Good afternoon all

I just had a couple of questiions. I just got back from a trip to nyc and i was wondering about a couple of things. I flew BA.

1. When landing into JFK, i was under the impression that we would be using the machines to clear customs as UK nationals.. We did not. We had to stand in that awful line in the dreadful hall that is like a sauna and it was terrible. We evidently turned up during everyones lunch break, because at one point there was only one agent dealing with the whole of the non US passengers of the plane. It took onwards of 3 hours for me to leave. It has never been that bad in JFK but are the automated machines no longer in use?
What day was this? I went through on Saturday (1/6) and there was a guy in front of me complaining about only on agent being on. I was waiting for a max of 20 minutes.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agneisse
I respect your travel style but for the avoidance of doubt it is $100 for five years = $20 per trip (assuming annual trips) plus better security experience departing (due to Precheck), which is less than one night's hostel stay.
OOOH i thought it was for a year!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MickV
What day was this? I went through on Saturday (1/6) and there was a guy in front of me complaining about only on agent being on. I was waiting for a max of 20 minutes.

16/5 - i dont think i would have been so annoyed but that cattle hall that they keep us all in is always so damn hot.. if they had air conditioning and not just one massive fan then it would be ok.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I never realised BA’s US hub was so bad; Lax last time I went through was a dream with electronic readers; Seattle had some readers too
Is T7 now the exception to the rule in the US?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
OOOH i thought it was for a year!
If you time it right (as I did by pure fluke) you can get almost 6 years.

It is valid for 5 years from your next birthday, so if you apply just after your birthday, you get almost 6 years of GE.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I never realised BA’s US hub was so bad; Lax last time I went through was a dream with electronic readers; Seattle had some readers too
Is T7 now the exception to the rule in the US?
Yes, even places like Pittsburgh, Nashville, New Orleans and Charleston can manage machinery (and frankly almost no wait anyway).
MiraculousM and allturnleft like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
I never released the APC kiosks ever made an appearance into JFK at any stage - I just assumed it had always been without! They must've popped in and out during a small hiatus of my travel to/from JFK.

Out of interest, does anyone know why is it just T7 that no longer uses them and why all terminals at JFK don't require visual and biometric checks by a human?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Just out of curiousity, why is this? Are they redeveloping T7 or is it a case of they are going to move BA to a different terminal and knock it down or something. Its terrible.

Is JFK BAs US hub? Its frankly ridiculous.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I'm sure there are more frequent visitors of JFK T7 here, last time (March 2019) I flew into JFK, the machines were signposted 'for US citizens only'.
In SFO the sign is the same, but the ground staff tell us it's US Citizens and returning ESTA. It was still dreadful when I was there in April, and I was in F so max 10th off the plane and I overtook most of them before I got there. The line was back in the corridor and it took me just over 2 and half hours to reach the smoking area. My luggage was going round on the belt by the time I got out so at least I didn't have to wait for that...

I travel on a French passport for now, but I'm looking forward to getting my British one to enter GE... Even for twice a year it'll be useful!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer_tom
I never released the APC kiosks ever made an appearance into JFK at any stage - I just assumed it had always been without! They must've popped in and out during a small hiatus of my travel to/from JFK.

Out of interest, does anyone know why is it just T7 that no longer uses them and why all terminals at JFK don't require visual and biometric checks by a human?
T7 has had APC machines for at least 1-2 years now, although as shown by posts earlier in this thread they often seem to be out of action for some reason.

Also APC machines are definitiely not just for US citizen:

Who is eligible to use APC?
APC kiosks can be utilized by U.S. citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, Canadian citizens, travelers utilizing ESTA (Visa Waiver Program), and travelers entering with a B1/B2 or D visa.

Do travelers still have to fill out a Customs declaration form?
No, travelers will submit their Customs declaration form electronically via the kiosks. If a traveler has already filled out a Customs declaration form, it can be given to a CBP Officer for shredding.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just out of curiousity, why is this? Are they redeveloping T7 or is it a case of they are going to move BA to a different terminal and knock it down or something. Its terrible.

Is JFK BAs US hub? Its frankly ridiculous.
T7 is going to be demolished as part of the plans to create one of 2 mega terminals at JFK. BA will be moving to be with AA in T8 as part of this plan (though T8 will remain a separate terminal). time table for this is 2022-25. BA move likely to take place in 2022 and the new terminal fully by 2025. BA won’t be moving back.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Is T8 AAs terminal? Isnt JFK AAs hub? Anything has to be better than newarks BA terminal and T7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.