Wiki Posts
Search

Lhr - nyc - lhr

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Lhr - nyc - lhr

Good afternoon all

I just had a couple of questiions. I just got back from a trip to nyc and i was wondering about a couple of things. I flew BA.

1. When landing into JFK, i was under the impression that we would be using the machines to clear customs as UK nationals.. We did not. We had to stand in that awful line in the dreadful hall that is like a sauna and it was terrible. We evidently turned up during everyones lunch break, because at one point there was only one agent dealing with the whole of the non US passengers of the plane. It took onwards of 3 hours for me to leave. It has never been that bad in JFK but are the automated machines no longer in use?

2. I flew out of Newark. I didn’t think that JFK could be beat as a terrible airport but Newark bit the biscuit. One restaurant, one shop and one news stand. All were more overpriced than usual. All BA flights seemed to be departing from there and i was wondering if this was where they always left from (i left B54)? If I were to fly out of Newark again on BA, would I be able to take food with me through security?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I'm sure there are more frequent visitors of JFK T7 here, last time (March 2019) I flew into JFK, the machines were signposted 'for US citizens only'.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Automated Passport Control kiosks offline at JFK T7

Thread should be moved as not BA specific
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Automated Passport Control kiosks offline at JFK T7

Thread should be moved as not BA specific
Actually it is.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Newark has a very nice lounge and right by the gates
Flyiboy and tynmar like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Terminal seven at JFK, clear all arriving passengers biographically and visually, the APC kiosks are no longer used.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Two words: Global Entry. JFK is a prime example of why you should have it. MIA and LAX too depending on the day.
rossmacd and Marschel like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To answer your second point, USA airports aren't all up to European levels of shopping or food experiences, and so the options airside can be quite limited. There are plenty of exception (Charlotte for example). The Newark gates used by BA have a few options, but not many, you aren't going have the span of the Boots meal deal/ sushi / caviar range of T3 or T5. However you can take food through security, so long as it doesn't fall foul of the liquids issue. So no to yogurt, yes to sandwiches, fruit, salads and what not. Small sauce packs can go in your liquids bag. And all USA airport have good water fountain provisions, so just bring an empty bottle with you.

Departing from JFK is better than arriving unless Global Entry. The terminal is past its use-by date and will be demolished in a few years.
MiraculousM and origin like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
When landing into JFK ... We had to stand in that awful line in the dreadful hall that is like a sauna and it was terrible. We evidently turned up during everyones lunch break, because at one point there was only one agent dealing with the whole of the non US passengers of the plane. It took onwards of 3 hours for me to leave.
Now you know how I (US national w/o Global Entry) feel upon arrival at LHR. Ok, usually "only" 1.5 hours. I too, note that the agents seem to work 10 minutes and then take an extended break
MiraculousM and VSLover like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 4, 2019 at 10:55 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bosman
Now you know how I (US national w/o Global Entry) feel upon arrival at LHR. Ok, usually "only" 1.5 hours. I too, note that the agents seem to work 10 minutes and then take an extended break
US citizens can now use the e-passport gates at Heathrow so your journey should be made a lot easier. Applies to citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Singapore and South Korea as well.
MiraculousM likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 3, 2019 at 7:31 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bosman
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
When landing into JFK ... We had to stand in that awful line in the dreadful hall that is like a sauna and it was terrible. We evidently turned up during everyones lunch break, because at one point there was only one agent dealing with the whole of the non US passengers of the plane. It took onwards of 3 hours for me to leave.
Yes, the e-gates will make a big difference. My sister flew into Heathrow a week ago Sunday and was on the Heathrow Express into London in less than 30 minutes.
origin likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 4, 2019 at 10:56 am Reason: Repair quotes and correct attribution
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Global Entry rocks.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Indeed it does. I regularly beat the crew to kerbside using GE at LAX.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately i only go one, at a push, two times a year so the $100 is, in no way, worth it for me especially as i am already staying in hostels in nyc to save cash.

I would happily fly into newark as they use the machines but the flight times do not work for me at all- i found that the 2pm flight took me, by the time the shuttle bus i had booked got me to my hotel and i had checked in, 5 hours.

I might just fly united next time as newarks united terminal is lovely and the last few times i have flown on that carrier have been great.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There may be a case to fly AA, at least inbound to the USA since T8 definitely has lots of machines. Or even PHL since this is well connected by train and coach services to NYC. T7 isn't too bad - nornally - on the earlier flights, if you were on a later flight (though you mentioned lunch) it maybe queues build up during the day and ease off again on the last flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.