FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Delayed LGW - PMI BA2572 June 2 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1972325-delayed-lgw-pmi-ba2572-june-2-a.html)

Basi1 Jun 2, 2019 12:36 pm

Delayed LGW - PMI BA2572 June 2

Can any BA staffers provide any insight on the delayed BA2572 LGW to Majorca today and when it is expected to go please? Got some friends waiting for it at LGW.

Delayed 4 hours so far and seems unsure if it will go out tonight. Also, what is the cause of the delay for EU261purposes?

Thanks!

mikeyfly Jun 2, 2019 12:40 pm

Wouldn’t be worrying about EU261 at this point.

Surely your friends have been told the reasons so far? Current info from EF:

DOBA2572/02JUN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA2572 0 SU 02JUN19
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LGW NEXT INFO WILL BE AT 1945
DELAY ZY
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1830
LEFT THE GATE 1850
AIRCRAFT RETURNING TO RAMP 1854
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA2572 0 SU 02JUN19 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LGW 1535 SU JCDRI/M YB/G 320 2:25
HKMLVNOQSG/G
PMI 1900 SU 2:25
COMMENTS-
1.LGW PMI - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.LGW PMI - DEPARTS TERMINAL S
3.LGW PMI - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.LGW PMI - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
5.LGW PMI - CO2/PAX* 128.23 KG ECO, 128.23 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
320 C 32 M 132
>

KARFA Jun 2, 2019 12:44 pm

At a guess it looks like maybe a technical issue leading to a return to the gate? In any case duty of care will apply so that means a hotel tonight near LGW if necessary.

As to compensation, your friends will have presumably been told by the flight crew why they returned to the gate? but as mikeyfly notes probably best left for another day worrying about that.

LGW NEXT INFO WILL BE AT 1945
DELAY ZY
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1830
LEFT THE GATE 1850
AIRCRAFT RETURNING TO RAMP 1854

steview111 Jun 2, 2019 11:29 pm

As a pilot for another airline, I can tell you that compensation is the only thing everybody cares about when they get onboard a delayed flight.

Sad sign of the times.

rossmacd Jun 2, 2019 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by steview111 (Post 31164725)
Sad sign of the times.

Sad that airlines operating in Europe required legislation in order to clean up their acts in order to improve on-time reliability and to treat their passengers properly.

KARFA Jun 2, 2019 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31164733)
Sad that airlines operating in Europe required legislation in order to clean up their acts in order to improve on-time reliability and to treat their passengers properly.

Treating passengers properly in terms of a mandated duty of care I understand and agree with, but has EC261 compensation actually been shown to have improved on time reliability? It seems the majority of my significant delays/cancellations have usually been due to reasons where no compensation is payable - typically weather.

EDIT: not that the compensation isn't nice to have of course when it is due :)

rapidex Jun 3, 2019 1:30 am

Originally Posted by steview111 (Post 31164725)
As a pilot for another airline, I can tell you that compensation is the only thing everybody cares about when they get onboard a delayed flight.

Sad sign of the times.

This is Flyertalk. Most people here think about compo before they get on board. Along with upgrades, re routes and a host of other matters:D

rossmacd Jun 3, 2019 1:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31164738)
Treating passengers properly in terms of a mandated duty of care I understand and agree with, but has EC261 compensation actually been shown to have improved on time reliability? It seems the majority of my significant delays/cancellations have usually been due to reasons where no compensation is payable - typically weather.

EDIT: not that the compensation isn't nice to have of course when it is due :)

I do not have comprehensive data to support a broad conclusion of OTP improvement, but my own anecdotes over the last 5-10 years shows that my own flight delays are down which is great. And specifically for BA, my expierence (even after 3 disrupted flights this weekend!) that their reliability has improved, on average, over the last years. Certainly, all the great efforts by LHR ATC (or UK ATC) has meant less holding and better reliability, for which I am thankful :)

steview111 Jun 3, 2019 3:35 am

You hold just as long as before, it’s just disguised in the form of speed restrictions over France or Ireland, or slots before departure ;)

Oh and your EC261 compensation is covered by increases in yours (and everyone’s) fares. ^

mikeyfly Jun 3, 2019 3:39 am

Originally Posted by steview111 (Post 31165127)
Oh and your EC261 compensation is covered by increases in yours (and everyone’s) fares. ^

Most fares in advance to Europe and USA are cheaper than they have ever been !

Oxon Flyer Jun 3, 2019 3:54 am

Folks, just a reminder : it’s best if threads enquiring about operational matters aren’t diverted by interminable reheats of the wider EC261 debate.

Let’s stick to answering the OPs question.

/mod

Basi1 Jun 3, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31163295)
Surely your friends have been told the reasons so far? Current info from EF:

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31163310)
At a guess it looks like maybe a technical issue leading to a return to the gate? In any case duty of care will apply so that means a hotel tonight near LGW if necessary.

As to compensation, your friends will have presumably been told by the flight crew why they returned to the gate? but as mikeyfly notes probably best left for another day

Thanks KARFA and mikeyfly they got away eventually.

13901 Jun 3, 2019 1:37 pm

Yesterday's BA2572 had a very lengthy delay due to a return to stand for tech reasons to which followed an aircraft change... so definitely EC261able.

Speaking of EC261, my biggest chagrin with it - and I say it very well aware of my own hypocrisy, for I too benefitted from it with Lufthansa - is that compensation applies for technical reasons too. I understand the reason why, but I also know from experience that many (most, indeed) issues aren't exactly predictable. What worries me is that the prospective of having to pay 600 euro/head to 250+ passengers might force somebody, somewhere, to sign off an aircraft when they shouldn't, with dire consequences. Pressure to release an aircraft for service has been one of the human factor causes (together with fatigue) of several high profile accidents, including a few in BA. Some have made headlines, some haven't; but regardless, they happened. Work-Time limitations have been introduced to deal with fatigue and they're very successful; however it seems to me we're going the opposite way with regards to pressure to release aircrafts on time.

My own 2p of course.

Often1 Jun 3, 2019 1:42 pm

As a general matter, the best place to obtain delay information is at the airport. While not every announcement and every staff interaction results in accurate information, it can be insightful and useful.

If you are delayed and are concerned about the reason, ask.

Takiteasy Jun 3, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 31166877)
Yesterday's BA2572 had a very lengthy delay due to a return to stand for tech reasons to which followed an aircraft change... so definitely EC261able.

Speaking of EC261, my biggest chagrin with it - and I say it very well aware of my own hypocrisy, for I too benefitted from it with Lufthansa - is that compensation applies for technical reasons too. I understand the reason why, but I also know from experience that many (most, indeed) issues aren't exactly predictable. What worries me is that the prospective of having to pay 600 euro/head to 250+ passengers might force somebody, somewhere, to sign off an aircraft when they shouldn't, with dire consequences. Pressure to release an aircraft for service has been one of the human factor causes (together with fatigue) of several high profile accidents, including a few in BA. Some have made headlines, some haven't; but regardless, they happened. Work-Time limitations have been introduced to deal with fatigue and they're very successful; however it seems to me we're going the opposite way with regards to pressure to release aircrafts on time.

My own 2p of course.

Do you seriously think two (or three) flight crew would would take risks with their own life if they were not happy with the state of the aircraft? Despite all its shortcomings I don’t see that happening at BA (yet).