Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Serve Bread with a Sandwich?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Why Serve Bread with a Sandwich?

I returned from Dubai, overnight, during the week in Club.

Here’s the menu card and the ‘new Club World service concept’ gumpf:

Here are the featured sandwiches:

Why the bread roll? What am I supposed to do with that - have a bit of bread and butter in anticipation of more of the same but with a filling?

I’d skipped the food in the lounge because it looked like slop and I’d not eaten since late afternoon, about 9 hours earlier. That’s my fault and I appreciate the sleeper service nature of this flight but I was fairly unimpressed with this offering. I asked if there was any soup spare but was told it was one or the other. I was directed to the Club Kitchen for some of those ‘indulgent treats’ - crisps, shortbread and bite sized chocolates. Great.

For comparison here’s the snack offering between meals on a recent Etihad flight:

That’s a proper snack. It puts the BA main meal to shame. Etihad even have the imagination and flair to serve it with a few crisps...

Palmer

Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:09 am

It is obvious why the roll is there. You make a strawberry jelly sandwich with it!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Palmer
Why the bread roll? What am I supposed to do with that - have a bit of bread and butter in anticipation of more of the same but with a filling?

Bread is cheap and fills quickly up?

I’d skipped the food in the lounge because it looked like slop and I’d not eaten since late afternoon, about 9 hours earlier. That’s my fault and I appreciate the sleeper service nature of this flight but I was fairly unimpressed with this offering. I asked if there was any soup spare but was told it was one or the other. I was directed to the Club Kitchen for some of those ‘indulgent treats’ - crisps, shortbread and bite sized chocolates. Great.
I was in the DXB lounge last week (first time ever) and I was very unimpressed by the food offering.
I decided to skip the meal on the plane to maximize sleep, and since I had a bit upset intestine I hoped to find something non too "saucy", maybe some sandwiches... but no. No sandwiches and the only hot food not coated in sauce were roasted potatoes. So I took the potatoes and a couple of bread rolls... only to find out they tasted like leftover rolls from the day before (the kind so rubbery they could bounce back when thrown on the floor)

So if at least on board the bread was fresh, I would not complain that much for having it together with the sandwiches.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC
That’s a proper snack. It puts the BA main meal to shame. Etihad even have the imagination and flair to serve it with a few crisps...

You don't want the bread? Don't eat it. Most likely some people will want it, just like some will eat and appreciate the strawberries, and others would rather chocolate. EY have "flair" to offer crisps.....you even said in the OP that the BA crew said there were crisps available! I imagine if there was no bread (or basket) people would say the tray was too empty and BA were being mean by not even offering bread!

BA - cold, EY - hot/warm
BA - sandwich (plus other options), EY - sandwich
BA - extra bread on tray, options for crisps, chocolate, shortbread, EY - crisps on tray, any extra options?
BA - healthyish looking dessert, EY - no dessert

(If you really want to compare BA and EY catering, check out what each offer longhual economy. I think most readers here would be genuinely shocked at EYs offerings, and not in a good way)

Last edited by shefgab; Jun 2, 2019 at 3:42 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I think your phrase "that's my fault" sums it up nicely.

Unless it's your first time with BA from Dubai then you surely realize the lounge offerings are absolutely dreadful. Regardless, you are a few feet away from all the restaurants, Pret etc so could have bought something close by for a few quid. The late flight from Dubai leaves after 1am so who really wants to eat and if you do then something small for sure.

Would you rather BA cater a 3 course meal for CW and then through nearly all of it away ??
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
You don't want the bread? Don't eat it.
I didn’t and it was wasted. It’s an odd choice alongside the sandwiches and, when the meal is this size, you’d think Ba would fill the space with something a little more creative.

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I think your phrase "that's my fault" sums it up nicely.

Unless it's your first time with BA from Dubai then you surely realize the lounge offerings are absolutely dreadful
It was my first time with BA from Dubai in Club. Having travelled with Etihad a few weeks before, I shouldn’t really have made the assumption that there would be something similar onboard. I should know better.

(If you really want to compare BA and EY catering, check out what each offer longhual economy. I think most readers here would be genuinely shocked at EYs offerings, and not in a good way)
I’ve not travelled Etihad in economy but here’s an article that I read this week. It doesn’t look bad but it could be more nonsense:

Behind The Scenes: Etihad’s New Economy Class Service

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Would you rather BA cater a 3 course meal for CW and then through nearly all of it away ??
Yes. Here is the Etihad offering:

Soup (main meal on BA, starter on Etihad):

Beef:

Chocolate mousse:

Delicious.

Palmer
HMPS, jp-mco and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
You don't want the bread? Don't eat it. Most likely some people will want it, just like some will eat and appreciate the strawberries, and others would rather chocolate. EY have "flair" to offer crisps.....you even said in the OP that the BA crew said there were crisps available! I imagine if there was no bread (or basket) people would say the tray was too empty and BA were being mean by not even offering bread!

BA - cold, EY - hot/warm
BA - sandwich (plus other options), EY - sandwich
BA - extra bread on tray, options for crisps, chocolate, shortbread, EY - crisps on tray, any extra options?
BA - healthyish looking dessert, EY - no dessert

I think you may have missed the point - that is EY’s snack offering (ie between meals - as detailed in the OP’s later post) The BA option IS the meal.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Sorry OP, bit of a fatuous post IMHO. Don’t want the bread? Don’t eat it. Doesn’t need a dedicated thread, or the shoehorned comparison to EY’s catering.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC

I’ve not travelled Etihad in economy but here’s an article that I read this week. It doesn’t look bad but it could be more nonsense:

Behind The Scenes: Etihad’s New Economy Class Service

That article is straight from EY PR dept. Look for an actual trip report, and you'll see that the main service is just a hot TV dinner, bread roll, and a small cake (served separately), even on a longhual flight. The rest of the tray (starter, cheese etc) has been enhanced, and replaced with BoB snacks.

Yes. Here is the Etihad offering:

Delicious.
That does look good! Is that the after take off service on EY 9 (the overnight AUH-LHR)?

Originally Posted by chris87
I think you may have missed the point - that is EY’s snack offering (ie between meals - as detailed in the OP’s later post) The BA option IS the meal.
Guilty, didn't note that, sorry.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Correct me if I am wrong, on EY's AUH-LHR overnight flight, the snack offering is served on demand instead of a formal late dinner service. Like BA, the later breakfast forms the main meal service
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

It’s the second meal on a short flight.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
hy the bread roll? What am I supposed to do with that
Hint :

Originally Posted by On the Menu
Soup.
JAXBA and argonath like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I am assuming this is the BA106 which departs Dubai (ie pushes from the gate) at 0130 local and arrives in London at 0630 local after a c 6 1/2 ish hours of flying.

The ‘main’ meal on this flight is breakfast (served before landing) - unless it’s changed recently, even in the days of the sleeper service it was always something v small after takeoff. In Traveller, I think it’s a boxed meal such as a sandwich then a hot breakfast.

I do appreciate what you had expected (as most flights in the world serve the main meal as the ‘first’ service), but given it really is in the middle of the night, I don’t think BA is wrong that the majority of customers will want to go to sleep. This is where F dine on demand could come in as if you were starving you could have asked for breakfast immediately after takeoff and then had another one in the arrivals lounge! (I’ve not done F ex Dubai but I assume it’s a very limited dinner selection).

LH and AF do not serve a hot meal on their similarly timed flights either.

A good reminder though for those taking this flight. I actively avoid it if at all possible.
Palmer likes this.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:01 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I’d imagine that connecting pax numbers might affect the different catering provisions of BA/EY, with EY having more pax coming in from different time zones, and BA having more locally originating pax.

Doesn’t excuse lounge provisions though.
IAMORGAN and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Extra bread with sandwiches falls into the same category as chips with pasta: only for greasy spoon catering and, it seems, BA.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.