Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USB Type C points on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Quark999
Every time I have tried to shed cables or adapters (and, like you, I have bought some devices specifically with this in mind), something else has cropped up where I definitely needed something that I did not have on me (hello Jabra). So I have resigned myself to carrying one travel adaptor with USB-A built in, one with USB-A and low wattage USB-C, a Mu USB-C adapter (the smallest I have seen that charges my Macbook Pro), and a whole stash of various 3-in-1 cables, which break in regular intervals but are still really convenient. I've even started carrying a USB extension lead for the 50% of hotels where the closest power socket to the bed is somewhere across the hallway. Grrr!

Travel gadgets is a bit of a hobby of mine to be honest - I swear I have spent so much money on cables and chargers that I could have bought some new gadgets instead, but I just can't resist if there's something new that's 3-in-1, foldable, retractable etc. And it's really satisfying when I find something that works for me, out of five attempts or so that gather dust on a shelf somewhere!

I'm just glad I was able to permanently say goodbye to the beast of a Dell power brick for my old laptop from two generations ago, and can finally travel with just the Mu. That in itself must have saved me a few years of back pain...
Is that a 'Mu One' ???
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I have a fair amount of experience with USB type C power delivery both as a consumer and a hardware product designer.

The short take is that USB Type C is a nightmare. The connectors, particularly the receptacles, are themselves terribly fragile both physically and electrically compared to USB A and even micro B. This means that the devices themselves become sacrificial rather than the cables, a much more expensive proposition.

Repairing the receptacles at component level is not easy because half the pads are hidden beneath the connector itself: you need the right skills and equipment to repair them. In the event of an electrical failure, you’re typically faced with a complete board replacement.

For the latest Apple MacBook, with a single receptacle for everything, that’s a £500 repair from your Apple Store. Replacement parts for a component level repair aren’t available outside Apple except from donor boards. Keep in mind that the SSDs are soldered onto the board, so remember to scrub it before it goes for repair, they keep your old board and hand you back a wiped machine.

Furthermore, not all USB type C cables are made equal. They may look the same, some even may appear to be electrically the same if you buzz them out. But not all are suitable for Power Delivery, particularly at higher currents.

Most cables that support PD won’t support USB Super Speed, DisplayPort or Thunderbolt.

A PD cable that works at 35, 45 or 65W often won’t work at 85 or 100W: consumers must carefully check the item description before purchase.

Regarding PD chargers, it’s not uncommon for a 45W charger to appear to work with a 65W laptop. However be aware that not only will charge time be slowed, it is likely that the machine’s performance may be throttled as a result.

The attempt to make a universal standard is noble. Where USB Type C falls down is that much of the standard is optional, and consumers cannot be expected to understand the numerous nuances, or know the right questions to ask. I dread to think how many apparently suitable cables and chargers are purchased by unsuspecting purchasers, which turn out to be landfill and a frustrating user experience.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
........The connectors, particularly the receptacles, are themselves terribly fragile both physically and electrically compared to USB A and even micro B. This means that the devices themselves become sacrificial rather than the cables, a much more expensive proposition..............
Interesting

Presumably this makes something of a case for those magnetic connectors that can be bought, where a small gromit thing remains attached to the device and magnetically snaps onto the cable when presented to it.....
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Interesting

Presumably this makes something of a case for those magnetic connectors that can be bought, where a small gromit thing remains attached to the device and magnetically snaps onto the cable when presented to it.....
The depreciation of MagSafe on Apple laptops was a retrograde step in my view.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
The depreciation of MagSafe on Apple laptops was a retrograde step in my view.
I agree. At what price progress?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Is that a 'Mu One' ???
It is indeed! I've been a fan of the Mu's for a while - I just hate the bulkiness of the UK power plug. Truth to be told I still end up lugging around travel adapters and sacks of cables, but it does fill me with great satisfaction when the UK plug collapses down
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Quark999
It is indeed! I've been a fan of the Mu's for a while - I just hate the bulkiness of the UK power plug. Truth to be told I still end up lugging around travel adapters and sacks of cables, but it does fill me with great satisfaction when the UK plug collapses down

Seemingly hard to get hold of at present though....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Yes
I've been a long-term kickstarter backer so I think I got first dibs. Works exactly like advertised so worth keeping an eye out for if/when they do get into stock for general consumption.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I raised this issue about five years ago and sadly I think the answer was no but is anyone aware of any of the newest planes (maybe the most recent recent 351s, 78Xs or 32Ns or refitted 77Ws) which have USB-C sockets?

Or is anyone aware of plans to roll these out?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 1:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I raised this issue about five years ago and sadly I think the answer was no but is anyone aware of any of the newest planes (maybe the most recent recent 351s, 78Xs or 32Ns or refitted 77Ws) which have USB-C sockets?

They are all USB-A
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

There are plans for the connector to move to USB-C,
However no plans to provide high power for large devices such as laptops
Also , from what I know it is likely to be a dual socket USB A, and USB-C
How long this takes is anyone's guess , possibly 77X by the time it arrives
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by stewaran
There are plans for the connector to move to USB-C,
However no plans to provide high power for large devices such as laptops
Also , from what I know it is likely to be a dual socket USB A, and USB-C
How long this takes is anyone's guess , possibly 77X by the time it arrives
Dual socket would be the right answer to keep customers reasonably happy and also might, just might, last as long as the aircraft interior does before needing renewal.
stewaran likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:19 pm

Yes, ironically since Apple caved to the EU and switched to USB C I (and I'm sure many others) now have to travel with multiple different types of cable! One day I'm sure we will end the electronic waste...
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That's pretty pathetic to be honest. USB-C have now become very common place and USB-A rarer and rarer, and conversely, many airlines now offer magnetic phone charging facilities in seat (including AY). I just think that BA is decidedly behind on that front.
RJD1983 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
All my cables are USB-C now and I’ve had to invest in some (cheap but effective) adapters which I can insert into the now ancient USB A sockets. They are as useful on trains and in hotels as they are on BA planes!
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.