FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cabin Crew Seats for Takeoff (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1972160-cabin-crew-seats-takeoff.html)

kingcole974 Jun 1, 2019 2:20 am

Cabin Crew Seats for Takeoff

Last Monday I flew BA68 from PHL to LHR.

Whilst the tug was still attached, this announcement was made. In fact, 20 minutes later our wheels were firmly on the ground.

Why bother? The crew were still going around their usual duties well after the announcement. The flight deck done their double bongs shortly before we headed down the runway anyhow......

Can I help you Jun 1, 2019 2:25 am

Because the SCCM cannot give their secure checks to the flight crew until they have made this announcement and the flight want the checks as soon as possible, only they know what time is available until takeoff.

IAMORGAN Jun 1, 2019 3:26 am

Two other things:

1) The aircraft is a crew’s place of work. From an occupational health & safety point of view, it makes sense to have crew seated with seatbelts fastened when manoeuvring on the ground, unless performing safety duties.

2) Makes sense to have crew by their doors (and keeping an eye on cabin sections) when there is a chance doors may be used rather than all in a huddle in a galley at the front! No point in the air as doors can’t be used anyway.

Waterhorse Jun 1, 2019 4:30 am

Pointless giving the cabin secure checks to the flight crew if you, as cabin crew, are not secure. Either give the checks, or dont but if given, stay seated.

T8191 Jun 1, 2019 6:43 am

I’m often surprised at how many CC ignore the “seats for take off” call until the last possible moment (i.e. actually turning on to the runway.). I’m sure they know what they’re doing, but it seems wrong (from a pax viewpoint) to see them ignoring instructions from the FD.

Can I help you Jun 1, 2019 6:46 am

The instructions do not come from flight crew but the SCCM.

KARFA Jun 1, 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31159861)
I’m often surprised at how many CC ignore the “seats for take off” call until the last possible moment (i.e. actually turning on to the runway.). I’m sure they know what they’re doing, but it seems wrong (from a pax viewpoint) to see them ignoring instructions from the FD.

i don’t remember seeing that happen much tbh. The SCCM’s call only happens once the other valleys have called in to confirm their cabins are secure.

Often1 Jun 1, 2019 7:35 am

It is the written protocol, so it is followed. If a cabin crew member is injured when the aircraft lurches, the SCCM's report will reflect her instructions.

From a passenger perspective, it is not something one would want changed. If "seated" really means seated, then the pre-departure service and assistance will have to end a good 5-10 minutes earlier so that any and all tasks which require standing, including clearing glassware, will have to be completed before the announcement.

T8191 Jun 1, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks for clarifying, CIHY

@ Often1, my observation was largely related to s/h sectors, where such luxuries as PDB do not exist ;)

IAMORGAN Jun 1, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31159969)
It is the written protocol, so it is followed. If a cabin crew member is injured when the aircraft lurches, the SCCM's report will reflect her instructions.

From a passenger perspective, it is not something one would want changed. If "seated" really means seated, then the pre-departure service and assistance will have to end a good 5-10 minutes earlier so that any and all tasks which require standing, including clearing glassware, will have to be completed before the announcement.

My understanding is that this should not be happening. I was on a flight last week where hot towels were given out after the safety brief as clearly at LHR there is time. But I think crew are not supposed to be performing non safety related duties during taxi. I agree with Uncle T, quite commonly the SCCM will make the seats for takeoff PA then spend time rummaging in the wardrobe / playing with the oven etc. In First, I’ve seen senior crew (CSL) use the ‘time’ after seats for takeoff to take meal orders.

Takiteasy Jun 1, 2019 4:15 pm

It has been happening for a while!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ake-off-2.html