Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: peter h
Dear

We're looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with us from London Heathrow to Glasgow on 25 August.

We wanted to let you know that we'll be making a change to the aircraft operating your flight. Your flight will no longer be operated by a Boeing 747.

We understand that, after speculation on aviation websites, some of our customers booked on BA1482 hoping to be part of our birthday celebration. We’ll happily offer a full refund to anyone who no longer wishes to travel.

You'll be able to view the timing changes to your flight at ba.com/mmb in the next 24 hours.

If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us.

If you booked through a travel agent, please contact them to make any changes.
On Sunday 25 Aug - the day of BAs 100th birthday - BA are operating these domestic rotations with 747s, reportedly the three heritage-liveried aircraft :

NCL (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1326 LHR-NCL 0920-1035 (stop 2:05, MCT 0:30): aero404, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, Telecasterman,
BA1327 NCL-LHR 1240-1400: aero404, Bazza1603 x 3, Brighterside, Chris9642, corporate-wage-slave, Fontana, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, S_W_S, squawk, Telecasterman, WickedStepMother, VG31.

MAN (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1386 LHR-MAN 1010-1120 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): 81romeo
BA1391 MAN-LHR 1250-1400: 81romeo

GLA (seatmap shows a SuperHi-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200-1330 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): bisonrav, IFE Wizard, McG, shl +1, Schwann, hodders
BA1487 GLA-LHR 1500-1625: bisonrav, IFE Wizard, shl +1, Schwann
Print Wikipost

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Bearing in mind BA is comfortable to operate planes with no passengers (to retrieve luggage from North Africa) and happily operated (does it still happen?) a regular programme of ghost flights to Cardiff keep slots active.

That was BMED, though at that time was a BA franchise.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Does anyone know for how long the the full refund offer is valid? There is no timeframe indicated in my email and I’m minded to make a decision closer to the time.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by icebird
Does anyone know for how long the the full refund offer is valid? There is no timeframe indicated in my email and I’m minded to make a decision closer to the time.
According to BA's guidelines, no date is given but "BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time".
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They actively informed frequent BA flyers about the flights. This then leaked to the blogs.
Any individual BA frequent flyers who were themselves told about the plans by BA may, depending on what BA actually said, be justified in being disappointed.

The actual disappointment being most volubly expressed here, though, is from people who weren't told about the plans by BA, but saw or were told of a filed configuration change and picked up wind of a bunch of rumours and leaks, and decided that this constituted some form of blood oath sworn by BA to them that they were part of the special gang who would be first in the queue for the birthday party. That was always no more than wishful thinking. It would have been lovely for them if the plan had been confirmed and had gone ahead, and it would probably have been a pretty special day. But it wasn't confirmed and it wasn't announced and it wasn't marketed - and still BA is happy to refund anyone who doesn't want to travel any more.
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
However I'm never the less miffed by the situation on the behalf of those who were eager to participate in what was supposed to be special BA themed merryment on board the Queen of the Skies and a unique day, which won't be repeated.
When did BA tell you this?
KeaneJohn and PrimaVista like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They actively informed frequent BA flyers about the flights. This then leaked to the blogs.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Any individual BA frequent flyers who were themselves told about the plans by BA may, depending on what BA actually said, be justified in being disappointed.

The actual disappointment being most volubly expressed here, though, is from people who weren't told about the plans by BA, but saw or were told of a filed configuration change and picked up wind of a bunch of rumours and leaks, and decided that this constituted some form of blood oath sworn by BA to them that they were part of the special gang who would be first in the queue for the birthday party. That was always no more than wishful thinking. It would have been lovely for them if the plan had been confirmed and had gone ahead, and it would probably have been a pretty special day. But it wasn't confirmed and it wasn't announced and it wasn't marketed - and still BA is happy to refund anyone who doesn't want to travel any more.
Whilst I'm not sure anything was ever leaked to the blogs by those who received at least a hint on what was happening, there is little doubt in my mind that BA's plan was firm - and in marketing terms a very, very good one. There is no way they would have advertised 747s during the booking process if it wasn't, they'd have waited and changed it to make it a positive surprise later.

That the plan was quickly reported here, and confirmed by members who would be regarded as trustworthy, would have given confidence to those who expected the 747 side of the deal to happen. I very much doubt anyone booked expecting to end up on an A320 series without fanfare based on BA's actions. In this, I completely side with DYKWIA's interpretation of how it's panned out.

What caused BA to alter course we can only speculate, but generally speaking - as someone who doesn't have a horse in the race - I think they've dealt with what could have turned into a PR disaster rather well in immediately offering full refunds.

So, yes, sure - you can view this as black and white in that you can say that BA has aircraft swaps all time or you can quote T&Cs to your heart's content. I, and I think most others here, are dealing with the reality of what was clearly intended to happen until the (likely) environmental brakes got put on.
Kgmm77 and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I booked it because I am a massive geek and wanted the novelty of flying the B747 domestically... any special livery or onboard celebration would have been an added bonus.

Besides the point, as I've now got my refund... but the patronising "Oh it was nothing to do with us" response from BA is laughable. At least they offered refunds.. that was good!
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Seems there are differing views on how much good faith and integrity has been shown by both BA and the folks booking seats, so let’s accept that and move on.

There’s no further value to be gained by repeating previously-voiced opinions.
DYKWIA, TedToToe and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
What caused BA to alter course we can only speculate, but generally speaking - as someone who doesn't have a horse in the race - I think they've dealt with what could have turned into a PR disaster rather well in immediately offering full refunds.
I agree. I too have no doubt that BA had a plan to do this which it has abandoned for some reason.

What I don't get is the hyperbole with which some - to whom no direct promises were made - are expressing disappointment with a plan that was cancelled before it had been publicly announced. BA's response in offering full refunds is more than the T&Cs technically require and, as you say, a response that dealt rather well with the situation.
wrp96, KeaneJohn and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I agree. I too have no doubt that BA had a plan to do this which it has abandoned for some reason.

What I don't get is the hyperbole with which some - to whom no direct promises were made - are expressing disappointment with a plan that was cancelled before it had been publicly announced. BA's response in offering full refunds is more than the T&Cs technically require and, as you say, a response that dealt rather well with the situation.
Whilst I agree, this could have all been avoided if they hadn't put the 747 on the schedule to start with - there was no need to do that until they had confirmed plans. There has been a lot of negative publicity about this and it was so easily avoidable.
Flying Yazata and S_W_S like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
When did BA tell you this?
I know what you're saying between the lines, but I just think it played out bad and @KARFA is right regarding how this irritation would have been avoided.

Anyway, I personally don't see it as bad environmental PR to fly with a Jumbojet to Newcastle or Edinburgh on a 100th anniversary, which isn't the equal of a daily Jumbojet operation and NIMBY irritation. If BA would have balls, they'd now announce a special anniversay service to e.g. TRE instead.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Whilst I agree, this could have all been avoided if they hadn't put the 747 on the schedule to start with - there was no need to do that until they had confirmed plans.
But if it had all worked out, that was a "mistake" for which many of the complainers would have been very grateful. As in so many things in life, sometimes one must simply take the rough with the smooth.
argonath likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I know what you're saying between the lines, but I just think it played out bad and @KARFA is right regarding how this irritation would have been avoided.

Anyway, I personally don't see it as bad environmental PR to fly with a Jumbojet to Newcastle or Edinburgh on a 100th anniversary, which isn't the equal of a daily Jumbojet operation and NIMBY irritation. If BA would have balls, they'd now announce a special anniversay service to e.g. TRE instead.
All a far cry from the 80s/90s. I saw one of the Concorde documentaries which included an interview with former captain and fleet manager Jock Lowe. When asked how they got permission from BA's management to take up four Concordes simultaneously to capture that iconic photograph that I think we're all familiar with, he said simply: "We didn't ask permission – we just did it!"
Flying Yazata, KARFA and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:06 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Although I appreciate that BA created excitement and then quashed it for many people who booked the 747 flights, it is a saving grace that they have offered refunds. Other airlines might not have been so forthcoming.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Yeah, I agree. They should have stuck to their guns. Yes, it’s a bit wasteful but it only happens every 100 years.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Starship73
All a far cry from the 80s/90s. I saw one of the Concorde documentaries which included an interview with former captain and fleet manager Jock Lowe. When asked how they got permission from BA's management to take up four Concordes simultaneously to capture that iconic photograph that I think we're all familiar with, he said simply: "We didn't ask permission – we just did it!"
Done on Christmas Eve to minimise the impact. Some great videos out there. Linked one below from the cockpit. There’s an interesting debate amongst the pilot as to which Concorde was in the incorrect position when the famous photo was taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.