Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: peter h
Dear

We're looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with us from London Heathrow to Glasgow on 25 August.

We wanted to let you know that we'll be making a change to the aircraft operating your flight. Your flight will no longer be operated by a Boeing 747.

We understand that, after speculation on aviation websites, some of our customers booked on BA1482 hoping to be part of our birthday celebration. We’ll happily offer a full refund to anyone who no longer wishes to travel.

You'll be able to view the timing changes to your flight at ba.com/mmb in the next 24 hours.

If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us.

If you booked through a travel agent, please contact them to make any changes.
On Sunday 25 Aug - the day of BAs 100th birthday - BA are operating these domestic rotations with 747s, reportedly the three heritage-liveried aircraft :

NCL (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1326 LHR-NCL 0920-1035 (stop 2:05, MCT 0:30): aero404, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, Telecasterman,
BA1327 NCL-LHR 1240-1400: aero404, Bazza1603 x 3, Brighterside, Chris9642, corporate-wage-slave, Fontana, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, S_W_S, squawk, Telecasterman, WickedStepMother, VG31.

MAN (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1386 LHR-MAN 1010-1120 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): 81romeo
BA1391 MAN-LHR 1250-1400: 81romeo

GLA (seatmap shows a SuperHi-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200-1330 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): bisonrav, IFE Wizard, McG, shl +1, Schwann, hodders
BA1487 GLA-LHR 1500-1625: bisonrav, IFE Wizard, shl +1, Schwann
Print Wikipost

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I must be the only person reading this thread saying ‘darn it’! I’m on BA268 on 24th August, a Super Hi-J 747 due at LHR at 16:05 on the 25th; meaning, that is one less chance for me to fly on the beautiful BOAC bird!

Pretty sure it’s unlikely, but what’s the chances of irrops/substitutions elsewhere in the network to guarantee the three retro 747s are available for these flights on the day?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Originally Posted by madfish

I am confused as to your reasoning for wanting to fly these flights, if not to say ’you did it’? Are you suggesting that nobody should book these until those over 80 have done so at the cheaper rates so those younger people have to pay more?
Wanting to brag about it might apply let's say for the first Virgin Galactic flight.

There's been plenty of short flights on B747s before. Repositioning flights taking passengers, and others.

It's only a sentimental thing remembering the originals which I flew on and that will never be repeated anyway as we are dealing with different aircraft and a different airline which is no more BOAC (or BEA) but British Airways/Iberia.

The final final British Airways 747 fight will be a lot more important in my opinion than any of these 3 flights.
nivsy, alex67500 and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Missed it - damn!

Oh well

I can always wait for the 200th anniversary.

See it all got rather dismissed on Raffle's site - he didn't understand why anyone would want to book these flights.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
BoB definitely unlikely to be efficient on these flights so if your travel experience stands or falls on the expeditious purchase of a chicken and bacon M&S special, it’s not going to be for you.

For the rest of us, it’s going to be a blast. Hopefully some availability will land as C-W-S suggests.

Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I will wait for october the 7th, the real 100
year celebration flights will be on that day....
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:14 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
This is interesting. Thanks for the info.
Maybe possible to get a cheap UK domestic RT from LHR to somewhere 7 October.

When I saw they wanted £191.00 for an economy seat to Glasgow on the 747
I thought... Enough is enough!

I got myself a 204 Euros RT CDG to Moscow via Warsaw on LOT
26 August to 2 September. I will go to the Moscow Air Show.

BA/Iberia can sell their inflated "100th Annnivzrsary" 747 Economy seats to others.

Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to clarify, these fares seem pretty normal for those routes. If you look at one way prices to NCL for tomorrow then you see pretty similar fares. The issue here is the demand has been unusually high just over 2 months out as lots of people are booking - so selling classes are all getting sold out leaving the expensive J and Y selling classes left.

Having seen some of the tweets out there, these flights have a significant amount of demand and I wouldn’t be surprised if several hundred seats have already been sold on each flight. A lot of people really would like to be on these flights.

As always, using jokers or GPRs is a way to save some money here.
IAMORGAN, bisonrav and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to clarify, these fares seem pretty normal for those routes. If you look at one way prices to NCL for tomorrow then you see pretty similar fares. The issue here is the demand has been unusually high just over 2 months out as lots of people are booking - so selling classes are all getting sold out leaving the expensive J and Y selling classes left.

Having seen some of the tweets out there, these flights have a significant amount of demand and I wouldn’t be surprised if several hundred seats have already been sold on each flight. A lot of people really would like to be on these flights.

As always, using jokers or GPRs is a way to save some money here.
i am not Twitter generation but it it true that Twitter has become the main source of information on just about everything on a world wide scale.
Those of us who are not Twitter users are missing out on a lot of stuff. Instant messaging and Twitter have become the new norm.

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Sorry - confused.com here ! Is 25 Aug not the real anniversary ? Are you saying there will be more such flights coming ? Or am I missing something ?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This article has a comment from BA that the special 747 flights “are not confirmed as of now and are subject to equipment changes”: https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/06/01/...for-centenary/

But I suppose they would say that wouldn’t they.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by CDG1
i am not Twitter generation but it it true that Twitter has become the main source of information on just about everything on a world wide scale.
Those of us who are not Twitter users are missing out on a lot of stuff. Instant messaging and Twitter have become the new norm.

I am not sure what defines a twitter generation, I am perhaps older than the “young KARFA” sobriquet on here may suggest. To be honest it was posted on here very soon after being noted on Twitter.

in any case, from your posts on the thread I get the impression you don’t want to be on these flights so no loss to you either way I guess
Flying Yazata likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
in any case, from your posts on the thread I get the impression you don’t want to be on these flights so no loss to you either way I guess
This is not true!

I wanted to be on the Glasgow flights. I was ready to buy the RT ticket a very good price but somehow I kept being rejected by the system...
after which Bisonrav kindly suggested that I call BA providing phone numbers which I tried to call from my country but I could not get through. The next thing I knew was a one-way seat offer at £191.00 with 3 seats left.
I will not spend £191.00 on one flight when I could have gotten the round trip for about half that on my first try.
May 31, 19, 7:41 pm #50
CDG1
Join Date: Apr 2002Location: The sky is my homePrograms: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8iPosts: 2,921
Trying to book the Glasgow flights cheapest economy to be on big BOAC
BA website shows available seats on both flights
somehow I am getting rejected in the end with this message:
"at least one of your flights is no longer available"
you can choose alternate flights on the same day or start a new search
start again / continue/
...??
Can somebody help/advise?
Thanks in advance

Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by CDG1
Not true this ^^^^^^
Ah apologies, I obviously misunderstood your your comments in 146 and 152

I know you found the fares quite expensive, but as I have illustrated a few posts above they are normal for domestic flights with only a few seats left. Anyway, enjoy the Moscow Air Show.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Clan Loganair, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue
Hi. I am booked on the BA1327 and booked yesterday and found out that there were no window seats left either. I have temporarily reserved 45B but plan on changing this at a later date. Is it likely that the PE Cabin will open?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton HONORS Silver
Hi!
Managed to get myself a CE(CW) seat on the BA 1482 - happy to hear it's probably the BOAC one. Wish I could have flown the 'real thing' though.

Den
Hodders likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.