Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

*CANCELLED* BA100 : Heritage-liveried B747s on MAN/NCL/GLA rotations 25 Aug

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 19, 5:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: peter h
Wiki Link
Dear

We're looking forward to welcoming you on board your flight with us from London Heathrow to Glasgow on 25 August.

We wanted to let you know that we'll be making a change to the aircraft operating your flight. Your flight will no longer be operated by a Boeing 747.

We understand that, after speculation on aviation websites, some of our customers booked on BA1482 hoping to be part of our birthday celebration. Weíll happily offer a full refund to anyone who no longer wishes to travel.

You'll be able to view the timing changes to your flight at ba.com/mmb in the next 24 hours.

If you would like to make a change to your booking, please contact us.

If you booked through a travel agent, please contact them to make any changes.
On Sunday 25 Aug - the day of BAs 100th birthday - BA are operating these domestic rotations with 747s, reportedly the three heritage-liveried aircraft :

NCL (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1326 LHR-NCL 0920-1035 (stop 2:05, MCT 0:30): aero404, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, Telecasterman,
BA1327 NCL-LHR 1240-1400: aero404, Bazza1603 x 3, Brighterside, Chris9642, corporate-wage-slave, Fontana, george77300, jfallesen, Msm2000uk, peter h, S_W_S, squawk, Telecasterman, WickedStepMother, VG31.

MAN (seatmap shows a Mid-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1386 LHR-MAN 1010-1120 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): 81romeo
BA1391 MAN-LHR 1250-1400: 81romeo

GLA (seatmap shows a SuperHi-J 747) NOTE: 747 NOW APPARENTLY CANCELLED as of 07.06.2019
BA1482 LHR-GLA 1200-1330 (stop 1:30, MCT 0:30): bisonrav, IFE Wizard, McG, shl +1, Schwann, hodders
BA1487 GLA-LHR 1500-1625: bisonrav, IFE Wizard, shl +1, Schwann
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 7, 19, 12:34 pm
  #301  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,877
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
Trying to do some joined-up writing here. Seems G-BNLY is stranded in LAS, if the report below is accurate:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...stuck-las.html

Maybe I am wrong, but seems to be co-incidental.

Doc Copper
Yes, this could be the reason if they think that they are going to be an aircraft down although this event was months away.

If that is the reason, they why on earth not tell people? People are very good at understanding that things go wrong and although they may be disappointed, they realise that there is a reason. This, so far, has been cancelled without any reason given and no explanation. Frankly it is a PR disaster and they think that they can brazen it out on a " because we can" basis. It won't do and it will bite their bottoms hard and serve them right.

It's like the Data Breach - all sorts of reassuring noises and apologies to begin with then up goes the wall of Corporate Silence. This is an absolute shambles and they have egg all over their faces. I, Pucci, could run this show better than they could as years of experience of people have taught me that one thing you do not do is p*ss off the Public and then try to patronise them. You could not make this up.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 12:53 pm
  #302  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 12,082
A "PR disaster". Bit of an exaggeration

The vast majority of people outside of (and some inside) the FT bubble will be thinking that the people who booked these flights are absolute idiots for paying over the odds on a rumour that something special was happening.
MeltingAlf likes this.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 1:05 pm
  #303  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LHR, LGW
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,433
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
A "PR disaster". Bit of an exaggeration

The vast majority of people outside of (and some inside) the FT bubble will be thinking that the people who booked these flights are absolute idiots for paying over the odds on a rumour that something special was happening.
Or as most regular fliers and FT members know, paying to fly on a specific aircraft (whatever the route) is a lottery. The question...will I get this aircraft on such and such a date...is always well responded with the wise answer of there are no guarantees and aircraft can always be swapped even a few hours before. I feel the excitement has gotten in the way of rational thinking (rightly or wrong). Itís a shame this has happened and BA donít seem to learn lessons in their PR classes, do they even have PR teachers in the BA school?
rockflyertalk is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:57 pm
  #304  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: LON/PEK
Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Anyone know if I would be able to transfer the refund to reduce the outstanding balance of a BA holidays booking?
Well, yes - the refund will be sent back to your card, and then use can use the same card to pay your BA Holidays bill if you like. Thus, a transfer!
Deltus is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:02 pm
  #305  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Maidenhead, UK
Programs: Nando's Card
Posts: 3
Pretty upset right now. Guess Iíll just claim my refund and get on with my day.
rockflyertalk and TPRun like this.
aero404 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:03 pm
  #306  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 830
just aswell the huge price increase put me and the Mrs off buying - shame though as would have been quite special
ens100 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 4:04 pm
  #307  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 3,750


So this actually turned out to be true then!
mrow, wrp96, alex67500 and 5 others like this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:04 pm
  #308  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 85
A bit miffed by the cancellation. The potential for a 747 at Newcastle (and Manchester and Glasgow) certainly whipped up a positive feeling and I canít be alone in being thrilled and excited to have had the potential to be part of the 100 year celebrations on an iconic aircraft from an airport that doesnít experience a large number of long haul aircraft.

Also a shame that I could have been sharing a plane with CWS which, to my knowledge, Iím yet to do.

Last edited by geordiejetsetter; Jun 7, 19 at 6:10 pm
geordiejetsetter is online now  
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:29 pm
  #309  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 2,391
I bet the NCL and GLA lounge staff are a tad relieved.. would have been a tad busy I suspect. Interesting as to why BA did this. As was hinted though the flights appeared to be ful but mostly seemed to have the blocks of 3 seats along the sides allocated which someone said was a convenient plan to allocate to an Airbus.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:51 pm
  #310  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 832
The 747 flights were cancelled on the same day that BA put out a press release saying their short-haul fleet has topped Heathrowís ĎFly Quiet and Green' league table, based on its environmental performance from January to March this year.

British Airways - BRITISH AIRWAYS TOPS HEATHROW'S 'FLY QUIET AND GREEN' LEAGUE TABLE
TedToToe and flight125 like this.
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:15 am
  #311  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,758
How crazy for environmentalists to be offended by a single event

I remember going on the Biman DC10 retirement flights for a spin around snowdonia from Birmingham !

Maybe they should offer a spin in the new A350-1000 instead


allturnleft is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:01 am
  #312  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Posts: 538
How crazy for BA to bow to them
Flying Yazata likes this.
surryson is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:17 am
  #313  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gibraltar/UK
Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post


Or as most regular fliers and FT members know, paying to fly on a specific aircraft (whatever the route) is a lottery. The question...will I get this aircraft on such and such a date...is always well responded with the wise answer of there are no guarantees and aircraft can always be swapped even a few hours before. I feel the excitement has gotten in the way of rational thinking (rightly or wrong). Itís a shame this has happened and BA donít seem to learn lessons in their PR classes, do they even have PR teachers in the BA school?
What you say is ofcourse true but in the this particular case I would suggest off mark. They went out if their way to out onto the market a "special one of flight" that they actively advertised and were selling" as a one off on the equipment specified. It generated one heck of a lot of interest where did done reason or another people were willing to pay as example something like 300 pounds one way from GLA to LHR on the advertised 747 where I recall seeing a flight 45 minutes earlier or so was available on a 319 at 89 pounds. As a one of BA must have done due diligence.gsbing said that ofcourse maybe BA simply do not do due diligence and fly by seat of their pants. 🙄
nivsy is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:44 am
  #314  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 59K
Posts: 2,223
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
They went out if their way to out onto the market a "special one of flight" that they actively advertised and were selling" as a one off on the equipment specified.
When?

All BA did was change the aircraft type in the booking engine.
Jumbodriver is offline  
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:48 am
  #315  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LCY/DUB
Posts: 3,052
Originally Posted by surryson View Post
How crazy for BA to bow to them
Are you making an assumption here, is there any evidence this is the definitive reason?

Bearing in mind BA is comfortable to operate planes with no passengers (to retrieve luggage from North Africa) and happily operated (does it still happen?) a regular programme of ghost flights to Cardiff keep slots active.

Iím not buying the Damascene conversion on climate change Iím afraid.
wrp96 and KeaneJohn like this.
Kgmm77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: