Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling 2-4-1 flight / travel insurance claim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Hoping some people here might have some advice for me. Was planning on going on a trip of a lifetime with a friend a week Monday but I'm currently laying in a hospital bed awaiting surgery for a broken hip... so yeah, that's not happening.

Do I have any options to cancel a 2-4-1 flight and get anything back? I have travel insurance but no idea how that would work with regards to what I could get back (obviously they cant refund points to me, so would I just be limited to the value of taxes?)

If I can't get anything back via BA or travel insurance, could me friend travel without me?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
If it's an Avios and BA 241 Voucher booking then it should be cancellable with a £35 fee per person. One of the most valuable parts of the ticket in my opinion.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
You TI won’t refund points but BA will if you cancel more than 24 hours before the outbound. You will have a £35 per person cancellation fee. Your TI may cover this fee. Of course this means you may lose your 241 voucher.

I would be calling BA to discuss options, including extending your 241 voucher or rescheduling for a later day.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You'll get all amounts paid and Avios back less £35 each.

You may even get some goodwill extension on the voucher if you can get proof for BA that you're out of action
trooper likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
The only thing worth bearing in mind is that if you cancel and your voucher expires thats it.

On the other hand BA might be (IME always is) ameanable to one free change to any date+365 of the existing booking due to hospital illness.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

That's better news than I expected. Will look to call BA when I'm not full of drugs.

Thanks all.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
That's better news than I expected. Will look to call BA when I'm not full of drugs.

Thanks all.
You must remember to cancel at least 24 hours before the flight.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Oh, and sadly I expect my voucher ended many moons ago.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Tell BA why you're cancelling. The worst that can happen is that the rules will nevertheless be applied strictly.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:56 am

I had to do this last week. It was my husbands voucher but when I explained they spoke to me ( I was the 2nd passenger). They advised contacting Amex/BA to get the voucher extended but actually when it was returned it still had a year to go. The implied that they may waive the fees if I was prepared to wait and go through a process but I needed to cancel on the spot.

The amount was too low to justify as claim but as we may well have a few that we need to cancel I might see if I can add it in. I didn't get any receipt or conformation though. The miles and voucher were back before I ended the call. Miles just popped up- had to log in and out for the voucher.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:22 am

You can’t book an outbound leg that is past your voucher’s expiration date, so your voucher has definitely not expired.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

You can’t book an outbound leg that is past your voucher’s expiration date, so your voucher has definitely not expired.
I’m sure you can, as long as booking is made before Expiry, outbound can be up to a year out (please correct if I’m wrong)
Old May 31, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Get well soon, gutting but you'll live to fight another day (2-4-1 flight searching ordeal!)
Old May 31, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BAEC
I’m sure you can, as long as booking is made before Expiry, outbound can be up to a year out (please correct if I’m wrong)
On an Amex 2-4-1, outbound travel must be completed before the voucher expiry date.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by BAEC

"Outbound travel must be taken before expiry date of the voucher"
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Last edited by argonath; May 31, 2019 at 10:11 am Reason: Globaliser beat me too it :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.