Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba166 just landed without cover part on left engine [normal ops using reverse thrust]

Ba166 just landed without cover part on left engine [normal ops using reverse thrust]

Old May 30, 19, 3:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I didn't have time to make picture
Old May 30, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Isnít this normal during reverse thrust?
Old May 30, 19, 3:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes my mistake
Old May 30, 19, 4:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the benefit of those of us who have not memorised both the entire BA timetable and BA's fleet, this is TLV to LHR, and it is a 777-200, G-VIIO. And as a layman, I think this is referring to the reverse thrust stage just after landing, when briefly the blue "thing" on top of the engine retracts for up to a minute or so, and then slides back into place. And nothing to be alarmed about, unless it doesn't happen I suppose.
Old May 30, 19, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And nothing to be alarmed about, unless it doesn't happen I suppose.
I don't even think it's necessarily anything to be alarmed about if it doesn't happen on landing. IIRC, reverse thrust is usually not critical to landing performance.
MSPeconomist, KARFA and DeathSlam like this.
Old May 30, 19, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
For the benefit of those of us who have not memorised both the entire BA timetable and BA's fleet, this is TLV to LHR, and it is a 777-200, G-VIIO. And as a layman, I think this is referring to the reverse thrust stage just after landing, when briefly the blue "thing" on top of the engine retracts for up to a minute or so, and then slides back into place. And nothing to be alarmed about, unless it doesn't happen I suppose.
Iím curious what one of the densified LGW 777s is doing at LHR. Other than flying revenue passenger flights, obviously!
Old May 30, 19, 5:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post

Iím curious what one of the densified LGW 777s is doing at LHR. Other than flying revenue passenger flights, obviously!
It was actually a typo on my part, it's G-VIID that did today's service from Tel Aviv to London.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 5:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Reading up on planes for quite a few years now, I think that reverse thrust panel is part of the Cold stream type system used on 777's and other jet engines. Of course there are many other types so you can now confidently tell someone the answer to the question if anyone ever asks you

"What's that blue thing/door doing go backwards on landing?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_reversal
Old May 30, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Cue Daily Fail journo's rushing to get a "story" out. Something of an antipodean focus, but you can have some fun with this tool Lazy Journalist Plane Story Generator

Bits Fall Off Plane

Foreign passengers told of their terrible dreadful fear aboard a Sydney bound Qantas flight which was enforced to return to Perth yesterday due to large bits falling off.

Some passengers were disturbed that the 943 passengers were told few details of the kerfuffle.

They said the plane 'Flew slowly with the engines screaming like Shannon Noll trying to sing' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Airbus 747 landed.

Passenger Bill Smith last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'I'll never fly this airline again', the passenger said.

Old May 30, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
It was actually a typo on my part, it's G-VIID that did today's service from Tel Aviv to London.
this thread is going well
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, it is always possible that something will fall off. Recently:-And, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
Old May 30, 19, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Of course, it is always possible that something will fall off. Recently:-And, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
What part of the engine is the "chunk"? What's its function?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Welcome to Simon Hradecky's writing style. It often brings a smile on otherwise drab days.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Originally Posted by surryson View Post

this thread is going well
Yeah...😂. But if it was VIIO (which it was Not) then it's claim to fame was burning up on the tarmac at Vegas. .
Old May 30, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
"Chunk" is quite descriptive enough for most of us flyers who can't even tell one type of plane from another. I don't need to know the correct name or purpose of the chunk, only whether it's critical for the safe operation of the aircraft or not.

Search this Thread