Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba166 just landed without cover part on left engine [normal ops using reverse thrust]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ba166 just landed without cover part on left engine [normal ops using reverse thrust]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What part of the engine is the "chunk"? What's its function?
A chunk is related to a thingamajig. It's function means the plane can fly or maybe not.

It's usually used in regards to "we just took a chunk out of that plane's wing" like last night at JFK when a BA plane clipped an AS plane.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
Reading up on planes for quite a few years now, I think that reverse thrust panel is part of the Cold stream type system used on 777's and other jet engines. Of course there are many other types so you can now confidently tell someone the answer to the question if anyone ever asks you

"What's that blue thing/door doing go backwards on landing?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_reversal
Yes the air being diverted forward for reverse thrust on a high bypass turbofan will be the cold bypass air - i.e. the air which doesn't go through the core of the engine and isn't part of the combustion process.

I have heard the same as Globaliser that reverse thrust is not included in landing performance calculations. Also often unless it's a short runway reversers may not be used or are only used at idle level rather than at maximum..
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't even think it's necessarily anything to be alarmed about if it doesn't happen on landing. IIRC, reverse thrust is usually not critical to landing performance.
'Ambitious' exit point requested by ground or something like that maybe?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA

I have heard the same as Globaliser that reverse thrust is not included in landing performance calculations. Also often unless it's a short runway reversers may not be used or are only used at idle level rather than at maximum..
Whatsits are used extensively at JER, often at high power, to (a) make the short turnoff and (b) to avoid dropping over the cliff at the western end.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
"Chunk" is quite descriptive enough for most of us flyers who can't even tell one type of plane from another. I don't need to know the correct name or purpose of the chunk, only whether it's critical for the safe operation of the aircraft or not.
It's safe to assume that any chunk deemed appropriate to be fitted to the aircraft is there for a purpose. If that purpose is critical to safe operation of the aircraft, then rest assured there is at least one other chunk somewhere that can continue to provide chunk functionality, albeit potentially at a reduced rate. This may result in the aircraft undergoing maintenance to return to a full compliment of chunks prior to its next flight.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by T8191
Whatsits are used extensively at JER, often at high power, to (a) make the short turnoff and (b) to avoid dropping over the cliff at the western end.
I've heard that at INV doohickeys are used instead.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Bring back the 737-200 which had large reversers that seemed to fall off the back of the engine.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"Chunk" is quite descriptive enough for most of us flyers who can't even tell one type of plane from another. I don't need to know the correct name or purpose of the chunk, only whether it's critical for the safe operation of the aircraft or not.
I once told the wife the pilot was doing a reverse thrust....it made her giggle.
BOH, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally posted by corporate-wage-slave:

And as a layman, I think this is referring to the reverse thrust stage just after landing, when briefly the blue "thing" on top of the engine retracts for up to a minute or so, and then slides back into place.
[Pedant mode]My impression as a reasonably frequent passenger is that reverse thrust is usually applied for no more than a few seconds. A full minute might well have the plane moving backwards. The take-off roll for a LHR-LAX flight usually seems to last no more than 60 to 70 seconds.[/Pedant mode]
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
and this is why Brexit still hasn't happened. Too many words on a worthless topic :-)
Old May 30, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Collierkr
and this is why Brexit still hasn't happened. Too many words on a worthless topic :-)
But surely Reverse Thrust is an aviation version of the Irish Backstop?
Old May 30, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Someone mention thrust reversers?

KARFA, camdentown and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anybody remember the Aeroflot IL-62 that had to use reverse thrust to get off the stand at the old LHR Terminal 2? We’re talking mid to late 80’s, I think.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: QF WP
personally i’d have put the quotes around “engine”, as I suspect any chunk is not actually part of it. More likely the cowling

if it’s a fan blade or something else actually from the engine something has gone quite wrong!!
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Those MD80's are awesome planes in so many ways!
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.