Wiki Posts
Search

Vegetarian Meals in First

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Vegetarian Meals in First

I've read an old thread that stated the Vegetarian meals in First are the same as in Club? Is this still the case in 2019? Looks like I may be going on board with the veggie burger from McDonalds...

Old May 30, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What does the pre order option show in Manage My Booking ?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by djtriggz
I've read an old thread that stated the Vegetarian meals in First are the same as in Club? Is this still the case in 2019? Looks like I may be going on board with the veggie burger from McDonalds...
If a McDonalds veggie burger is good enough for you I'm sure you will be more than happy with the vegetarian options in First, both the one on the regular menu and the special meal.

On the other hand, if your only demand is that your meal be different to that available in Club World then I'm afraid (1) even if it is, which is better would always be a matter of personal taste; and (2) why would it bother you that the people back in Club are getting the same as you so long as what you get is good?
nancypants and Sealink like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
But you’re not paying for ‘good’ like those in club. If every other passenger in F gets a better meal as part of the reason to pay more for F why shouldn’t a vegetarian?
Old May 30, 2019, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
All of the times I have flown club the meals have been terrible. While the other passengers get beaufifully presented meals. The special meal is not so special. I’ve even had a look from cabin crew when serving the meal as to say I’m really sorry we are serving you this!

I’m tempted to pre order the veg option that’s on the menu but I’m thinking it might then impact the other meals and snacks ie the afternoon tea sandwich’s?

Do I just take the gamble?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
All of the times I have flown club the meals have been terrible. While the other passengers get beaufifully presented meals. The special meal is not so special. I’ve even had a look from cabin crew when serving the meal as to say I’m really sorry we are serving you this!

I’m tempted to pre order the veg option that’s on the menu but I’m thinking it might then impact the other meals and snacks ie the afternoon tea sandwich’s?

Yes it did impact the Afternoon Tea and not in a good way. The finger sandwiches that everyone else will be enjoying won't appear on your table. Instead you (always did) get the triangles from Club. The crew on one of my F flights were so annoyed about this that they initially gave me them in the plastic wrapper with the Club cardboard insert. This was so that I could take a picture and complain about it. I did and it didn't make any difference. There had been a bigger issue on the ground which had overshadowed that.

One flight from LHR I was served the sandwich triangles as expected. However after inspecting the sandwiches it was obvious one triangle had meat in it. Chicken to be precise and again after I and they photographed it the crew got the CSM/CSD to make a note of this. They said please complain or it won't get any better. The other half was hummus based, which was what the info said both halves should be. Crew said don't eat it please we'll give you the spare VLML finger ones instead.

I complained saying I didn't want or need any Avois I just wanted to know that they'd investigated so it didn't happen again. They also left the entire F cabin bags behind at LHR. This is a previously posted summary of it.

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I wrote in when I had my VLML sandwich with meat that I was served for Afternoon tea in F. All the F bags were left in London and then mine was left at BOS for days (despite having arrived on the next flight) and not sent on to ACK. The bag labels showed that the bag had arrived same day into BOS and had been labelled for onward transit to ACK. I wrote that I was not after Avios just an explanation please. I said I know luggage is often delayed out of London, inevitable really given the number of bags processed each day. I was therefore more interested in why it was just left at BOS and not sent on.

The response was that they were very sorry about the lack of VLML being loaded for my flight. They also said that bags sometimes get delayed given the daily numbers carried.

"however sometimes we have the wrong information and we can't send your bag to you until we've completed our investigations. This means the process can take longer than expected"

I explained in my reply that I had actually had a VLML loaded and that I was hoping they could confirm:
a) That this information about meat being present had been passed on to the caterers
b) It therefore wouldn't happen again given it might be against someone's religion or medically dangerous.

Also were they able to find out why my bag was not sent on? I pointed out that I'd mentioned the number of bags carried daily and that it was labelled correctly for onward transit. The next reply was a virtual carbon copy of the the first one they sent and here's some Avios to make you go away. Someone from higher up in BA did offer to take this further for me but I couldn't be bothered to.
Also since the bistro menu section went your options are reduced. That tended to have the VLML friendliest option on it. I've been on flights where there wasn't a VLML option on the main menu. One flight there was and the VLML was a curry which I don't eat. I indicated that i'd rather have the main menu option and the crew member asked if he could have my curry. I said go for it I certainly don't want it.
JustTheOne and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 30, 2019 at 4:05 am
Old May 30, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond

Contact YouFirst beforehand and ask them for the full menu for your flight(s) - they will send you a PDF of the actual menu, so you'll see everything that will be served (not just the pre-order options listed on MMB) and can work out an eating strategy.

For example, the new amuse bouche option always appears to have one non-meat/fish option out of the three served, so you could just have that one and ignore the other two if you're ok to do that (they are served in separate dishes). There's always a veggie main for the larger meal, and usually a veggie option for the second meal (although not always). It depends on the flight destination and timing, but I usually find this strategy works for me and I don't have to order a special meal. Afternoon tea is probably going to be the only instance where this might not work, but again knowing the menu in advance means you'll be prepared for this.

The only risk would be with BA's woeful under-catering, but as veggie options always seem to be the last to go anyway, this probably wouldn't be much of an issue!
AnaTravel and Jimmie76 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Contact YouFirst beforehand and ask them for the full menu for your flight(s) - they will send you a PDF of the actual menu, so you'll see everything that will be served (not just the pre-order options listed on MMB) and can work out an eating strategy.

For example, the new amuse bouche option always appears to have one non-meat/fish option out of the three served, so you could just have that one and ignore the other two if you're ok to do that (they are served in separate dishes). There's always a veggie main for the larger meal, and usually a veggie option for the second meal (although not always). It depends on the flight destination and timing, but I usually find this strategy works for me and I don't have to order a special meal. Afternoon tea is probably going to be the only instance where this might not work, but again knowing the menu in advance means you'll be prepared for this.

The only risk would be with BA's woeful under-catering, but as veggie options always seem to be the last to go anyway, this probably wouldn't be much of an issue!
That's good advice about contacting You First.
JustTheOne likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by JustTheOne

Yes that’s what I do as well when travelling First. I usually just risk it and don’t order special meals as they have never turned out great. Sometimes the second meal options are limited as you say. But at least there is usually a decent main meal.
JustTheOne likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Originally Posted by CCayley
If a McDonalds veggie burger is good enough for you I'm sure you will be more than happy with the vegetarian options in First, both the one on the regular menu and the special meal.

On the other hand, if your only demand is that your meal be different to that available in Club World then I'm afraid (1) even if it is, which is better would always be a matter of personal taste; and (2) why would it bother you that the people back in Club are getting the same as you so long as what you get is good?
Actually annything served at mc donalds is better than the slop the serve as a GFML. You should feel lucky you don't have a dieatary restriction and pay 10000 pounds for a first class ticket to only be served a piece of dried out chicken with a stale bun
Old May 30, 2019, 8:49 am

Please Don't compare the special meals in Club World to McDonalds, it is an insult to McDonalds
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Please don’t compare McDonalds to food!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Where's the thread complaining about somebody eating McDonald's in First?
Old May 30, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It all depends on your frame of reference. I live in the heart of cattle ranching country where some consider chicken as vegetarian
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:39 pm

Like JustTheOne and others above, I ask for the menu from BA a month in advance. I then try to work out what I can have from the menu. British Airways short changes vegetarians ordering the special meal, in my experience. To be fair, some other airlines are equally poor. Offering F vegetarian passengers the same as in J is lazy and thoughtless. British Airways has still not upped its game - in the new First catering. Shamefully neglectful of vegetarian passengers. They simply don't care.
JustTheOne and Jimmie76 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.