Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to tell if my flight is the old 747 or new IFE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Flying on friday 31st may @ 1:10PM from LHR to JFK.
British airways BA 0177.

I have booked 29K and hope I can fit through the gap in front. Is it as narrow as people say?
From what I can see from reviews the IFE on the older 747's are disgusting!

Thanks
Old May 30, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
You’ll very likely be on the old IFE 747.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Adam Georgeson, it's good to see you here and I hope that we will see more of you in the future. And I hope that you have a good flight even if the IFE is a museum piece.

The mid-J 747s are not all being updated with new IFE since they are destined to be taken out of service fairly soon. But the way to find out is to look on flightradar24 under your flight name the day before travel, this should give the aircraft registration. Then you can either use thebasource.com to see the IFE status, or alternatively have a look in this thread.

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh
Old May 30, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But the way to find out is to look on flightradar24 under your flight name the day before travel, this should give the aircraft registration.
It may do, it may not do. Sometimes the aircraft registration won't be known by flightradar24 until the aircraft is almost ready to push back. Sometimes the aircraft goes live on flightradar24 at that time, but with no flight number immediately associated with it. Sometimes, the aircraft doesn't even show up until it's airborne.

And even if you can see it, the aircraft allocation can change, almost up to departure time.

The only reasonably sure way of knowing is to have a look at the aircraft when you're boarding and read its registration, and then hope that there isn't (or is, depending on circumstances) a late aircraft change after that.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Whilst it's a good indicator, definitely don't rely on Flightradar 24 - my 747 to CPT switched on the day from being one of the upgraded birds to one with the old IFE.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Isn’t the JFK route a more optimistic route for getting the refurbed 747s...however I wouldn’t want to get your hopes up. An iPad or other device is always wise to have with you or just a good old fashioned book I hope you end up on a refurb and with WiFi, that all makes for a very nice experience in Y or any cabin now on BA.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

It looks like due to the seating config it will be the old. According to some posts here the seating in the 747s if economy starts at 28 then it's the older versions that haven't had a refurb... Will find out tomorrow!
Old May 30, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Georgeson
It looks like due to the seating config it will be the old. According to some posts here the seating in the 747s if economy starts at 28 then it's the older versions that haven't had a refurb...​
No, that's not quite right.

BA operates two configurations of 747.

All of those in the configuration with more Club World seats (86 of them, or 86J) have been refreshed and have the new IFE.

Some of those in configuration with fewer Club World seats (52J) have been refreshed with the new IFE, some have been refreshed but without changing the IFE, some have not yet been refreshed, and one will not get the refresh at all.

So looking at the seating configuration alone doesn't tell you enough, if you have a 52J aircraft.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If your still in 29K it's the mid-J 747 (52J seats) but EF is now showing this flight as a Super-J aircraft (86J seats) but no seats for sale on ba.com however it's showing as:

F5 A3 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W1 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

If it is the Super-J then @Adam Georgeson you will have a refurbished aircraft with Panasonic IFE. However go with Manage my Booking seatmap and of course see Gloabiser's comments which are accurate.

What does your Manage my Booking seat map currently show economy as starting from?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:41 am

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:27 am
Old May 30, 2019, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thank you very much @TCX69. ^^
Old May 30, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TCX69
BA177/31 is currently due to be operated by Super Hi-J G–CIVR. So will have the new Panasonic IFE.

The flight was originally due to be operated by Mid-J G–CIVK but it’s currently AOG in JFK after being damaged during pushback.
And this is now reflected in the seat map, which is for an 86J aircraft.

The economy cabin starts at row 39 (HJK only) and row 40 (all seats). So the OP may want to check what seat he is now in, especially as the overall capacity of the 86J aircraft is smaller than that of the original 52J aircraft. This may be more a important issue than the quality of the onboard IFE, as you can always bring your own IFE.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Yep. Sorry. Just got an email and spent an hour on the phone with them. They said they couldn't get me on that plane and offered me the flight the next day. I refused. They finally got me on the plane but it the last row which is a two seater. Money being refunded. Guess you can't always predict these things.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Georgeson
They finally got me on the plane but it the last row which is a two seater. Money being refunded. Guess you can't always predict these things.
The only certainty about travel is that it will often go wrong.

I don't think that's a bad result overall, actually. The twin seats at the aft end of the cabin are sought after by some - couples who don't want to share their row with a third person, and those who want to avoid sitting in a middle seat and avoid having an uncomfortable fidgety middle seat neighbour next to them. I think that (either now or in the past) the twin seats have cost more to pre-allocate than standard seats (if you have to pay), so if you are getting one for free and getting to JFK on your originally-planned flight, then things could have turned out rather worse than they have.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Yeah exactly. I paid £73 for seat 29k. They said they will refund me that.the flight originally all looked like it was booked up she said which is why It took so long. I think people opted to take other flights.

I know there was an option for 15 or so seats for a earlier flight on the 31st May but she said that wasn't available anymore. Probably because people took it I assume.

I'm just glad I'm still going on time. And if the seats are good and it's upgraded ife that's a bonus.

I will thank you all for your help. This is the most helpful forum I've ever discovered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.