Wiki Posts
Search

oneworld Emerald - seats on BA F

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

oneworld Emerald - seats on BA F

Hello,

I have an upcoming trip IAD-LHR in paid F, I hold Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status with AA but none with BA directly.
If I book the trip via AA website, I get access to all the available seats including 1A. Will I be able to assign the same seats is I book the ticket directly with BA leveraging my oneworld Emerald?

The reason I'm looking to book directly with BA is to earn more miles on Alaska.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2019, 2:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Hello,

I have an upcoming trip IAD-LHR in paid F, I hold Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status with AA but none with BA directly.
If I book the trip via AA website, I get access to all the available seats including 1A. Will I be able to assign the same seats is I book the ticket directly with BA leveraging my oneworld Emerald?

The reason I'm looking to book directly with BA is to earn more miles on Alaska.

Thanks!
the only status restricted seats in ba f are 1a/k. However a ba gold or OWE can select them so once you book you need to get your ba PNR, go in to ba mmb and you should be able to select them or any other seat.
justsawaufo likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA EXPs (and assume all OWEs) get all the seat choosing rights as native BAEC Golds (and above) incl theoretical seating (which is blocking empty seats next to you, as much as possible)
Old May 29, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Sounds like you'll be switching from your AA number (entered to book 1A) to your AS number (to earn miles).

You'll want to switch the FQTV numbers fairly late (maybe in the lounge at IAD, with boarding pass reprint) or you could potentially have 1A taken away from you before check-in, if Emerald status is no longer showing on the booking.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Sounds like you'll be switching from your AA number (entered to book 1A) to your AS number (to earn miles).

You'll want to switch the FQTV numbers fairly late (maybe in the lounge at IAD, with boarding pass reprint) or you could potentially have 1A taken away from you before check-in, if Emerald status is no longer showing on the booking.
I'm playing with fire here anyway as my EXP status expires about a week before my scheduled flight.. worst case I'll seat somewhere else.
JAXBA likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm playing with fire here anyway as my EXP status expires about a week before my scheduled flight.. worst case I'll seat somewhere else.
Be careful doing this, because you could end up somewhere you do not want.

If you want to be assured of a window seat, for instance, you would be better off avoiding 1A/1K so that if they shift you when you lose your status, you are still assured of having a window seat, whereas if you chance it with 1A/1K, by the time you get flicked out of your seat, all window seats may be taken.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Depending on the aircraft 1A/K is also not the best seat. On a 747 you'll be very close to the other 1A/K, which is great if you are flying with someone you know, less so in all other circumstances. On the 380/777/787 you'll have galley/lavs in front of you and the seat gets some noise/light disturbance.

I'm a big fan of 2A/K (unless doing the 747 as a couple). That also means you won't have any issues with status.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
yes but there is ‘somewhere else’ and ´somewhere else’. Note that people have reported losing restricted seats at any time including weeks or months after having lost status when no other good seat was left.

If you are indifferent to all other seats then great, go for it, but if not and some other good seats are left, most of us even those preferring row 1 like myself would see 1A over 2A or 3A as a marginal advantage (and many do prefer 2A and 3A on most planes) and see the difference between 2A and 5E in which you may well end up when moved as really big.

so personally I the circumstances you describe I would stay well clear of 1A and bag another window if some are left. If no windows are left I’d try my luck with 1A but with little hope of keeping it.
LTN Phobia and justsawaufo like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Note taken and switched to 3A on the 747 (Row 2 was unavailable) and 2A on the 777.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.