Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Probably not new procedure...but I missed it...feel free to merge

Old May 29, 19, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Probably been discussed before and I have missed it. However I was sitting, eagerly awaiting my GT flying CE LHR - ARN...nothing happens, the BoB wagon passes by...time passes, by now ET is all done. 1h-ish into the flight, flight time that is, someone pops out of the galley and I do get my long awaited GT.

After that I watch fellow travellers, that seeing my GT get slightly envious, I assume, and the bells starts going of. With that some sort of unorganized food plating and drink making starts happening...that decends in something that is not total chaos...but odd, makes one wondeing why?

The answer came when I asked the question, evidently if there is just 2 staff in CE serving, they need 2 on doing the drinks, so BA decided drinks get served with the food...and as tdy, with 14 in the CE cabin...if one wouldnt had been proactive that would have been 1.5h into the flight. The flight was returning with 28 in CE....

Probably been covered somewhere before, however I would have liked to share my wievs with BA on this, I got a text message before my flight, to my surprise I could only answer questions on pre flight experience.

​​​​​​​A semi-rant, not sure it adds value, first experience for me, if CE have the same seats, not even do a pre lunch/dinner drink run, even less value...and yes, I do like and want my drinks!! 😋
Old May 29, 19, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I'm a little confused. Did you ask for a G&T and simply was never brought to you? Ask again!
Old May 29, 19, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I am not sure I follow, are you saying the CE service only commenced 1 hour in to the flight?
Old May 29, 19, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have experienced a couple of CSDs prioritising the CC allocated to BoB to the detriment of CE. Much hinges on the respective cabin loads and, of course, the wisdom/skill of the CSD.
Old May 29, 19, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Sorry to be unclear, it was a bit of a rant, since I was going from surprised to annoyed. My main point however was that if they only have 2 people working CE, they will serve drinks with food, stay in the galley until that time.

I have no problem treating the call button, with love, frequently, but I expected my drink trolley after take off. The poor souls that didnt have the same relationship with the call button got nothing. I find it a tad strange not offering drinks proactively.
Old May 29, 19, 10:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Two working a CE cabin with 14 pax is normal. What time flight was this?
Old May 29, 19, 10:51 am

Just so I understand fully, the crew did a combined food and drink service initially and your issue is that after they did this they weren't proactively going around asking if you wanted more drinks?

Also, I've very seldom seen any more than 2 people working in CE. Sometimes it's just the one person. I'm assuming that 2 people is the norm and that anything else is dependent on CE loads.
Old May 29, 19, 10:54 am

The service standard for band 3/4 flights (such as ARN) is to perform a drinks run with nuts before the meal service.

Sadly there is also a provision that the SCCM can, at their discretion, skip the drinks run if they feel there is not enough time in a large cabin.

A drinks run on a band 3 is never a problem for a good crew IMO, even in a large CE cabin, so I find on the rare occasion it is skipped, it is usually a bad and/or lazy crew.
KARFA, Knodde and chris87 like this.
Old May 29, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: AA
It sounds like they did a combined food and drink service but not until well over an hour into the flight.
Old May 29, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Exec
Bizarre. Not sure what was going on if the service did not commence until 1 hour into the flight .

I would add that if there were only 14 people in the CE cabin, the SCCM could have easily delivered the service to standard on their own . Flight time to ARN is around the 2 hour mark - there is ample time to deliver the Band 3 service to standard and it only requires 1 person to do it with 14 pax.
Old May 29, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriot Gold.
It sounds to me that if he was asked if he wanted a drink relatively early on, and an hour later it appears in a busy CE cabin...

I've had a not busy CE cabin (LGW to GLA), and in third row, and not even asked if I wanted a drink or food 45 minutes into the flight, I forgoed the food for 2 bottles of champers because I doubted I'd have been able to gulp it down. But I did sit for 45 minutes seeing the attendant be the slowest drink preparer ever, and doing each seat individually, ie: 2A, off to do one drink, back, do you want something to eat, off to do that, and back, then ask 2B if they want a drink...

So I feel for the OP...
T8191 and Knodde like this.
Old May 29, 19, 12:11 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
OK - let us get this straight. Were there 28 passengers in CE? I would have thought that 2 crew normally kicks in when there are 20 passengers in Club in either direction. However, I am sorry but I have tried reading your post 3 times and I cannot make sense of the sequence of events. The crew actually took an hour to produce anything? Why didn't you go and ask?

Quite extraaordinary.
Old May 29, 19, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Am puzzled by this as well.

In CE cabin I've had one CC come out and ask row 1 what they want to eat and drink then pop back to the galley with the order and their colleague starts preping it, they pop back out and take the next rows order by which time row 1's food / drink is ready and it get's brought out and then they take the order from row 3 and back to serve row 2 and so on.

During all this bread basket will make an appearance as well

In my experience it all works very smoothly with no undue delay.
Old May 29, 19, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I note this from a TR of mine last year. OK, it was a Titan crew, LGW-MLA, but it shows how it can go wrong ...

Pushback on the dot of 0615, airborne at 0630, and eventually at 0710 our drinks orders were taken. It seemed clear that one of the CC looking after the 9 rows of CE was either fairly new, or unfamiliar with BA’s service procedures. He took our orders, went back to the galley where his colleague placed them on a tray, and then delivered them to us. He then went to 1D/F, took their order, back to the Galley … and rinse and repeat for a total of 18 journeys back and forth. After 15 minutes he had completed half of Row 3!!

Meanwhile, the BoB trolley working ET was obviously blocking the aisle, so the ET pax formed a queue in my foot-space for the single front lavatory, as they couldn’t access the 2 at the rear.

At 0745, my notes tell me, we received our Breakfast trays. Row 2 got theirs at 0800. It seems that all 9 rows were served by 0845. Standard BA ‘great British Breakfast’ … no further comment needed!
Old May 29, 19, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Some questions here. So to be clear, the first drink arrived after I grabbed hold of one of the CC passing by, and no, not physically, 1h into the flight, from take off, not scheduled. I was then told that drinks would be served with the meal, meal orders had been taken long before that. I got my drink, happy with that.

On arrival of my drink several other pax went for their call buttons ordering drinks. This occurred at the same time they were trying to deliver food, coming out of the owen. In the end the gentleman in row one had finished his meal before I got mine in row 3.

My issue with this, is that it would have been easy to do a drink run, between two CC in a cabin of 14 CE. But evidently, they are not aloud, hence do drinks with food, but will do it if called for by pax. So was a rushing back and forth from the galley bringing drinks after all pax realised there would be no drink service, hence delayed food service etc. To me this sound silly in the Spence that 2 CC can take individual drink orders and del8ver without getting the trolley out, but that did not happen because they had been told to serve drinks with food.

The 28 CE pax is what they would have on their way back, then I can see a slight issue with doing individual drink orders from the galley, however, they should be sufficiently staffed, and evidently they are not in order to operate the trolley!

I am happy to elaborate on the subject! However, I want my drink after take of, I want my meal served not long after that. I would like the cabin to be staffed so they can run a drink trolley down 10 rows, period! 😋

Search this Thread