Search

Is Row 1 CE worth striving for?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
Is Row 1 CE worth striving for?

Hi,

As an infrequent BA traveller, we have 3 x CE flights coming up in August/September. As a QF Gold (OWS) I have preselected row 2 - row 1 is blocked presumably for BA Gold/OWE. Is it worth watching for Row 1 to open up closer to departure, or be happy with what we have?
Sometimes legroom in bulkhead seats can be compromised - not sure about BA aircraft though. The flights (if it makes a difference are:
LGW - GOA A320
VCE - LHR A321
LHR - GVA A319

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
It depends on the length of your legs, you get more knee room is Row 1 but less 'stretch your leg' room.

I prefer row 2 as you can stretch your legs under the seat in front, however lots of people like row 1 too. If nothing else, it shows the hoi polloi your status level.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Row one is good apart from 1C, which probably the most bumped into seat on the aircraft, especially during boarding. Other row 1 seats are good though for the minimal extra space, plus getting served first.

On some LGW 320 1DEF is missing, which means that there is no bulkhead between row 1 ABC and the door - great if you're very tall, but some people don't like it as you're staring right at the crew for TTOL.

I think row 1 is open for everyone around 3 days in advance. If not, don't worry about being stuck in row 2.
VSLover, T8191, Aus ATC and 1 others like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
don't forget you have to put all bags / coats etc. up in the lockers for take-off and landing in Row 1, nothing on the floor - annoying if you like to keep a bag near you: one reason I don't book Row 1 if travelling with the kids!
Aus ATC likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I prefer row 1. I'm 6'2 and don't have a problem with leg room though I prefer it more that no one can recline into me.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by bhbloke
It depends on the length of your legs, you get more knee room is Row 1 but less 'stretch your leg' room.

I prefer row 2 as you can stretch your legs under the seat in front, however lots of people like row 1 too. If nothing else, it shows the hoi polloi your status level.
Glad I am not the only one to think this! I was kindly TCP'ed into Row 1 on a TP run to HEL earlier this year and loved the extra knee space but really missed the stretch space, I think that I would have to think hard if I was offered Row 1 again instead of Row 2.
rossmacd, Aus ATC and AnaTravel like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agreed - always go for row 2 or 3, as you can stretch out a little more, especially on the longer shorthaul flights like IST.
Aus ATC likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I used to be a 100% fan of row 1, but I’m realising that half the time, it’s a struggle to get your stuff into the locker above the row, typically because there’s crew stuff in there or (some older A321s) it’s use for some equipment or other. Row 2 doesn’t have that issue in my experience.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm 6' 3" and would always choose 1A, D or F if I can. Clearly it requires early boarding to ensure some locker space above the row, but the extra overall space and lack of someone else reclining into me makes it better for me.

OP - yes, you're right in that Row 1 (and sometimes some other rows) are blocked for OWE
Old May 29, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Agreed with of some of the above comments. I am 6'2" and the upper part of my leg (above the knee) is long enough that I despise sitting in any other row just because it is very tight with my knees almost knocking into the seatback. So, row 1 is a dream for me at least.
Aus ATC and AnaTravel like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I can't see the attraction of Row 1.
Limited locker space, bashed by the backpacks and constant traffic for the lavatories.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikem004
I can't see the attraction of Row 1.
Limited locker space, bashed by the backpacks and constant traffic for the lavatories.
Completely agree, row 2 for me.
CoweyB, Aus ATC, TheOldMan and 4 others like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
If I have checked my bag which I am doing more and more on shorthaul I'll go for row 1 as I'm finding I only have to wait on average an extra 5 minutes at the belt for my bag without the stress of dragging it around and finding overhead space over row 1. With a carry on however I'll book Row 3 aisle and with theoretical seating I normally get no one in the window seat next to me so I move over and don't need to trouble any one if I do need to get out of my seat
Aus ATC and AnaTravel like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by bhbloke
If nothing else, it shows the hoi polloi your status level.
Just an idle observation from my favoured row 2 : as the procession of ‘higher group numbered’ passengers shuffle past on their way to the cheap seats at the back, quite a few of them pause to give Row 1 (specifically) that sort of ‘you’re a bit of a knob’ eyeballing ...
IntVic, Aus ATC and bhbloke like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
I wouldn't say row 1 is worth striving for (I probably wouldn't setup an expertflyer free seat alert)- but if it's available when I book then I'll absolutely go for it. I find the non-exit row seats I have near zero clearance for my knees to the seat in front, whereas in row 1 it's comfortable.
Aus ATC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.