Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Row 1 CE worth striving for?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Row 1 is a bonus but I wouldn't go in the huff if I didn't get it. Once on board I'd have a look to see who's sitting in row 1 though. Just to see if they look like tier point runners.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PETER01
Can you go a day forward the other way and slightly extending your trip? Late in but an over night in LGW would be doable then onto JER then following morning?
Yes, we briefly considered it (about 3 seconds!) but getting into LGW c. midnight is not our idea of fun, never mind the extra cost of a cr@p overnight hotel at LGW!

Frankly, the MLA schedules are a total PITA. Arrive MLA late evening, thus losing Day 1 in its entirety, or returning to LGW at midnight with scenario above. There are only a couple or three days each way when you can actually get ‘civilised’ flight times.

However, we digress
PETER01 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Have any of you noticed that Flightdeck seem to have bladders the size of grapes the amount of times that they go to the toilet? I noticed that from a long way back.
This comment has absolutely nothing to do with the original question.

As far as I’m concerned the ‘Flightdeck’ as you refer to them can go to the toilet as much as they want. As they have far more responsibility and important safety aspects to think about, I’d far rather they were sat comfortably in the cockpit than sat with their bladders full worrying about what others are thinking. I also think your use of ‘Flightdeck’ is patronising

Last edited by Prospero; May 30, 2019 at 11:15 am Reason: To comply with rule 12
Old May 30, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel a popcorn moment may have arrived.

Ah, caught in the slips by Prospero!
Gastrocnemius and RockyRobin like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
first to security..... Usually empty​​​​​​​​
Not necessarily. It depends very much on what type of hand luggage you have and how fast you are. I have no need to be in the first row in order to be speedy. If row 1 is occupied by some slugish individuals, I can always get past on the jetbridge at the latest. However being in Club Europe does help. Have been even in row 9 and still had a speedy transit to my next flight. When I'm in row 1 (doesn't have to be BA and CE), then I'm usually the one first off the plane. I'm not so picky about being in row 1 in CE, because rows 1-4 are anyway good.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by highexpectations

This comment has absolutely nothing to do with the original question.
Since when has this ever been an issue on FT?

[/quote]
As far as I’m concerned the ‘Flightdeck’ as you refer to them can go to the toilet as much as they want. As they have far more responsibility and important safety aspects to think about, I’d far rather they were sat comfortably in the cockpit than sat with their bladders full worrying about what others are thinking. I also think your use of ‘Flightdeck’ is patronising
[/QUOTE]

As you quite rightly say why worry what others may think.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
> I can always get past on the jetbridge at the latest <
This is where all the jockeying for position takes place. A bit like the race to the first turn in Formula 1.
It's brutal sometimes.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
I am invariably in 1C since SWMBO's favourite seat is 1A!

Like being at the front, but as others have stated, you do get bumped into a lot!
T8191 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Having a chuckle to self reading this thread . Just been on the phone to the Gold line to upgrade Mrs T (Gold) and I Corfu flights with Avios, the rather lovely BA rep processed everything pdq then said ever so sweetly “I assume it’s 1D and 1F “ job done as far as Mrs T is concerned. I’m not bothered tbh - C'est la vie.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I was in 1A the other week which opened up T-72 for me as a mere Bronze (I guess I was just lucky?).

Much better than the standard seats in my opinion. Maybe if legroom was better in CE then I would not be as concerned.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

I usually go 1F. The crew stuff being in the small locker above this row and only on this side is a major bugbear (I know minor in the bigger world picture). I had a random BA survey where I made this comment and got the reply back to move it if it was in the locker! It is often the stupid and unnecessary hat boxes.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Have taken about 12 flights in CE over the past 6 months. All but a few have been in row 1, with the majority 1C or occasionally 1D.

travelling hand baggage only, I find the plus points

first off the plane
No matter how soon after the wheels hit the tarmac, you unbuckle your belt, jump up in the aisle and pull your bags from the overhead locker,...
you still have to wait for me to disembark, after I have thanked the crew and captain etc ��

first to security..... Usually empty
​​​​​​
no bags to collect,
so first outside,
to catch the bus or train to final destination,

knowing some people are still on the plane and will be hanging about for their hold luggage.��
And waiting 30 mins or so for the next bus

Get served meal first,
endless offers of drink refills.
Never having to wait.

Cc are almost always friendly and have time to chat about my destination and reason for travelling,
whilst sitting in jump seats or in gallery etc.

​​​​​​standing in the Priority check in queue, with DYKWIA behind me, moaning loudly about the people.... (meaning the oik in the jeans and Doc Martins in front of them) who must be in the wrong queue.....
who when boarding have to sit several rows behind said oik...

All the time knowing that I'm flying on a redemption fare costing Ł50 return ��
​​​​​​
I seem to remember the service in the back row of economy used to be like that. On some aircraft you'd exit via the rear door.....the captain was never there though.
nivsy, AnaTravel and Fatdickie like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191

Frankly, the MLA schedules are a total PITA. Arrive MLA late evening, thus losing Day 1 in its entirety, or returning to LGW at midnight with scenario above. There are only a couple or three days each way when you can actually get ‘civilised’ flight times.
It is indeed a PITA. You could get around the awful flight time by taking taking a KM flight to CTA and then catching the BA CTA-LGW, or ferry to Pozzallo (a pretty pleasant and organised experience for Malta-Pozzallo, although the other direction had difficulties due to lack of terminal building, although they might have finally finished it by now!), although you will likely need to overnight in Sicily if you take the ferry option.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I’m 1A for 2x A320 flights tomorrow so will report back, not that bothered by boarding first but want to be first or near enough first off.

Hoping to sleep a bit as well so will report how it is, I’m 6’2 so knee room is important to me
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Successfully re-booked our MLA trip to a week earlier, for the full 6 days, and the nice BA Agent/system has put us in Row 1 for all 4 sectors. We will have to be careful on the last leg, as we're in 1D/F instead of our usual 1A/C
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.