FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Free WiFi for First Passengers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1971623-free-wifi-first-passengers.html)

tom139 May 28, 2019 9:18 am

Free WiFi for First Passengers

I've just been told that BA are now offering WiFi free to all First passengers. This is hot off the press.

No idea which packages are being offered for free - has anybody been on a flight with this yet?

madfish May 28, 2019 9:25 am

You’ve already been tweeted by Alex Cruz @tom139

bmibaby737 May 28, 2019 9:25 am

Well if first is to have a future they need to do something.

Boeing77W May 28, 2019 11:45 am

This has been trialed on a few flights over the last month or so. They’re wanting to achieve it “through I.T.” rather than offer F customers a voucher code etc. And I heard that this was causing a few teething problems.

LTN Phobia May 28, 2019 11:57 am

SQ offer free Wifi to F (and I think J) and PPS (qualified or Solitaire) through IT (seat number + surname) but only a tiny number of MB - 50 (F) / 30 (J/PPS) from memory.

JL do it for F with vouchers (unlimited).

As far as BA goes at the moment, I'm just happy to get the Wifi at all, even if it's not free.

hfly May 28, 2019 4:47 pm

TK offers it for free to all Business pax and Elite Plus members on long haul and have done so for several years, even Saudi has offered it to all Business Class pax for quite some time. Ek gives everyone 10MB, and Biz and F get unlimited free. BA is maybe five years behind many other airlines..................

orbitmic May 28, 2019 5:06 pm

IB in J too (limited time) and QR to all passengers for a small time.

zebranz May 28, 2019 5:48 pm

I just flew LHR-NBO-LHR-SFO. LHR-NBO (and return same plane)- no wifi
LHR-SFO wifi but not free for me in 1A. I was surprised they had it and it worked.

KARFA May 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 31147458)
IB in J too (limited time)

it's 4mb for free which frankly is pointless.

subject2load May 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 31147458)
IB in J too (limited time) and QR to all passengers for a small time.

In QR F I was given a voucher which I’m pretty sure (?) was valid for use throughout the flight (earlier this month, PER-DOH). But I can remember feeling absolutely whacked on the day, and immediately after eating I slept without even trying it.

Schultzois May 28, 2019 8:25 pm

LH also offers in First but using a voucher.

Out of my four recent F flights, on three the voucher worked very easily, and on one of them there was a problem by which none of the vouchers onboard were working, but buying unlimited access for about EUR19 on the 12 hour flight was possible. Crew were very apologetic, and offered that since I could not use the normal internet voucher, they offered me EUR25 service recovery voucher to use in their shopping on that or any future flight. I bought the internet access on my credit card, used the voucher to by a gift on a future flight, and felt they had done right by me on the flight where a glitch prevented the usual service from working.

As others have noted, TK gives this to elite card holders in all classes, as well as to business class passengers, which is the way I think any serious airline should be looking at the equation. So often, the time and resources spent executing the payment process for these passengers is really just a thorn after either the cost of a F/J ticket, or a complete waste of time for the passengers who are taking enough flights to hold higher status. When we're already at the point where this service can be sold for EUR19 on a 12 hour flight, once has to wonder if it's not simply better and even transactionally equivalent for the airline just to comp the service in the same way as extra baggage or free seat selection, both of which are already much more expensive than internet.

lost_in_translation May 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 31147863)

In QR F I was given a voucher which I’m pretty sure (?) was valid for use throughout the flight (earlier this month, PER-DOH). But I can remember feeling absolutely whacked on the day, and immediately after eating I slept without even trying it.

QR give you a voucher for the whole flight but it’s only 200 MB which will run out before the end of the flight if you do a lot of internet browsing.

lost_in_translation May 28, 2019 9:27 pm

WY also give you a voucher in F and EK is free internet for the entire flight if you are crediting to Skywards.

This is a very good idea by BA so let’s hope it’s true!

Dambus May 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Good news. ^

Wonder if Uber Eats will see a spike in orders from hungry FIRST pax? ;)

Wasabi Tofu May 29, 2019 12:37 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 31146420)

JL do it for F with vouchers (unlimited).

JL provides Diamond and JGC Premier members vouchers (unlimited MB, use for 40 international flights).

And, JL and NH provide free WiFi for all domestic flights (except a few aircraft without WiFi capability). Thank for small country.