Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA0780 - LHR to Stockholm - Club Europe Seat 1A

Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, Shangri-La Golden Circle

Hi all,

First post here. I've recently booked a redemption flight from LHR to Stockholm Arlanda and I'll be flying Club Europe (for the first time).

I understand that the first row is blocked out usually for BA gold card holders, I know its a hard to answer question but I was wondering from your personal experience how busy this flight and is the first row usually booked (again from your personal experience, I'm only a bronze card holder).

Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Racer_x, welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and you have certainly come to the right place to find out how to make the most of your Avios and indeed flying with BA.

ARN is, in my opinion, fairly strong on Gold cardholders. It isn't in the same category as EDI or GVA, but it is probably in the group below. When you are getting near to travel (4 days before departure or less) by all means reach out in this thread so that someone can read the tea-leaves for you.

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

That said, not all Golds go for row 1, some prefer row 2 instead, others seek out rows where they will get all 3 seats to themselves, and quite a few GCH simply aren't bothered about seat selection.
Crampedin13A and Racer_x like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
What you could do is use the "free" search capabilities of expert flyer over the next few days to search a few flights at T-72 and see if 1A is occupied. This would give a idea of roughly how frequently it would be available.

You have 5 free searches in Expert Flyer per day,

I suspect what matters more is not how busy the flight is but how status heavy the flight is. I imagine ARN is fairly status heavy, but probably less so if your flight is midday or on a weekend
Racer_x likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Adding my welcome to that of cws! And completely agreeing with others: in my experience, ARN has quite a few status holders so you should start from the assumption that you won't be able to get row 1 and see it as a pleasant surprise if you manage.

That said, quite frankly, while I like row 1 myself, I do think that the difference between that and other CE rows is blown out of proportion in this forum. ARN is a pleasant route on which to be in CE: the flight is relatively short, yet you get a full hot meal which is of decent quality and whatever drink you fancy to accompany it. The only reason why I add my answer to those above is to add a mere opinion that you really should not obsess as to whether you can get row 1 or not. Quite frankly, this will have a minimal impact on how enjoyable your experience is, and frankly, I regularly surrender my 1A or 1F seat if it means that I can get the full row to myself without a neighbour (I'm not so sociable like that! )
SHT88T and Racer_x like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

I personally don't like row 1 and always avoid it, trays in the arm rest are often wobbly, can't keep handbag with me, then of course the main problem being bumped into when the whole plane walks past you esp in 1C, seen people sat there tutting as it happens, people waiting for the toilet standing in your legroom area, it's often cold there too, hand luggage will be stored in lockers behind you. You'll still get served very well in rows 2 or 3.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
My only reason for wanting row 1 is for my laptop. If I cannot get that then my enormous computer won't fit. I could get a small one, but I like the bigger screen
Racer_x likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
I personally don't like row 1 and always avoid it, trays in the arm rest are often wobbly, can't keep handbag with me, then of course the main problem being bumped into when the whole plane walks past you esp in 1C, seen people sat there tutting as it happens, people waiting for the toilet standing in your legroom area, it's often cold there too, hand luggage will be stored in lockers behind you. You'll still get served very well in rows 2 or 3.
The same reasons for me (minus handbag). I prefer rows 2 or 3. The overhead bins above row 1 are sometimes occupied by safety demonstration equipment, those headseat cover things and you get more leg room as your feet can go under the seat in front.
Racer_x likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, Shangri-La Golden Circle
corporate-wage-slave rate-wage-slave Hi C-w-s, and thanks for the warm welcome!

And thank you for the insight, I'll be sure to ask the question when it comes nearer to the time! Its not until the end of next April so a little while away, but I'll be sure to use the forum to "get somebody to read the tea leaves for me"!

scottishpoet Thanks for the reply! And thanks for letting me know about expert flyer, I'll be sure to use that more often. I tend to fly to Singapore around 3-4 times a year and do a couple of European trips, all on BA so this will be a very helpful tool.

orbitmic Thank you for the welcome! Much appreciated, and I will certainly keep that in mind, it's my first Club Europe flight and Stockholm is always a place I've wanted to visit so its exciting, I understand that in terms of the seat its the same as Euro Traveller, with the exception of the middle seat being blocked out, however I guess I'm more excited about the experience and getting to use the lounge as I'm a massive AvGeek. Flying business class isn't something that I do very often, however I've recently got into the miles game (always booking with BA, tesco clubcard, heathrow rewards, amex rewards, avios portal) and I've managed to build a few points in around 6 months. Sorry about the essay by the way! P.s I feel you on the not so sociable part, I'm the same! Nothing makes me happier than when I'm flying to Singapore on the empty back of a top deck A380!

paulaf Thanks for the insight, thats really helpful information! I think theres a chance you've sold the idea of sitting on the second row to me

MaxFlyer I appreciate that! I work for Apple so I was "umming and aah'ing" about getting the shiny new 16 inch MBP to edit my photos on but I think I still love my 13 inch MBA a lot for my travels, and for this reason I guess!

Thank you all for your welcomes and insights so far, it is very much appreciated

Last edited by Racer_x; Dec 12, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:27 pm

I’m also flying to ARN at the end of April on the same flight number (positioning for a flight on Qatar).
Racer_x likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying on 24th April 2020, let me know if you'll be on the same flight, would be awesome to meet somebody off the Forum!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I really like ARN as an airport and stayed in the Radisson there a few times. Nothing much else to add but another welcome to the forum Racer x!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

PETER01 Thank you Peter! I'm a bit torn on wether to book a nice hotel or use Airbnb for a bit of a different experience. Airbnb do this thing called Airbnb plus where they have some typically minimalist, scandi style apartments which looks interesting. In terms of ARN did you use the lounge by any chance, if so how was your experience? Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Racer_x
I'll be flying on 24th April 2020, let me know if you'll be on the same flight, would be awesome to meet somebody off the Forum!
We’ll miss each other I’m afraid as I fly on the 29th.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Racer_x
On the 24th April BA780 already has one GGL who is also a CIP in row 1, and also a GGL4L in row 1. If not fully booked in Club it seems likely one or both of aisles in row 1 will be blocked out.

But, people change plans and move their seats so it is well worth checking at intervals beforehand. If it’s a 321 but not a NEO there could be Club beyond the second exit door which gives you another leg room option. Right now it’s too early to know -other than a ‘generiC’ Heathrow A320 seat map.
Racer_x likes this.

Last edited by DFB_london; Dec 12, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DFB_london
On the 24th April BA780 already has one GGL who is also a CIP in row 1, and also a GGL4L in row 1. If not fully booked in Club it seems likely one or both of aisles in row 1 will be blocked out.
If it stays as it is there won't be any seat blocking in row 1. TS only blocks next to you not across the aisle so 1A/C would remain selectable.

If there was one in 1A and one in 1F then 1C and D would be blocked if still free when TS kicks in.

IAMORGAN and Racer_x like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.