Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
if you forgive me I have no interest in arguing with you
Well, you did not have to reply in the first place,
I simply point out that before the change in policy those without status, or those who chose to purchase tickets from the lower fare buckets, were unable to select a seat in advance of check-in.
Had you simply "pointed out", i.e made a simple statement of fact about the policy, I would not have reacted. What I reacted to was the "What many who come here to complain about this policy appear not to appreciate". This was unnecessarily dismissive. One can perfectly "fully appreciate" that the previous policy was worse and yet still think the current policy poor as the question of whether the current policy is a good policy is unrelated (and therefore a non sequitur) to that of whether it is better than the one before.

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
if anyone could halve their time on the 100, I would say that’s an excellent improvement.
Again let us not confuse "better" and "good". A huge improvement can still result in something which is pretty bad if you start from a low enough base. If an airline had average delays of 4 hours and cuts that to average delays of 1 hour, that is a massive improvement. But that still is extremely poor if comparable airlines have average delays of 10 minutes.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:12 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Airline with the worst J class seats in the sky, also has the worst J class seating selection policy... one assumes because they know their seats are **** relative to the competition and customers will begrudgingly pay to avoid getting a bad one or be more loyal to retain the benefits of getting a good one.
m3red likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by amt
Airline with the worst J class seats in the sky, also has the worst J class seating selection policy... one assumes because they know their seats are **** relative to the competition and customers will begrudgingly pay to avoid getting a bad one or be more loyal to retain the benefits of getting a good one.
That's your opinion and you're very welcome to it. I assume you're talking about BA although you don't say which airline. I personally like the current BA seats (although not the stepping over people so much). I do not like the majority of J seats out there because they require you to put your feet in a small box when reclined/to sleep. Those for me are the worst J class seats and it annoys me that BA are getting them.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:11 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
That's your opinion and you're very welcome to it. I assume you're talking about BA although you don't say which airline. I personally like the current BA seats (although not the stepping over people so much). I do not like the majority of J seats out there because they require you to put your feet in a small box when reclined/to sleep. Those for me are the worst J class seats and it annoys me that BA are getting them.
If 8 is more than 4 is an opinion... I’d like to see what you consider a fact.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Surprising a state run airline can't always offer a cheaper direct fare to its home hub than the competition. Maybe something to do with the EU investigation into how they operate?
That is certainly news to some of us...a link or copy of article please ?

BTW as a CUSTOMER matters not to me whether an airline is Govt owned ..if the fare, SERVICE, ground experiences are better, they get my money.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by amt
No need to be snarky, Jimmie76 was quite pleasant in response to your sourness.

You hadn’t mentioned 8 versus 4 in your previous rant but although BA is indeed ‘2-4-2’ and not yet ‘1-2-1’, count the heads in a row across the aircraft and both configurations have...4. BA could have numbered the seats differently back in 1999 but that probably would have confused people and you’d be grumpy about that too...

Fact is, some prefer the current config, others prefer reverse herringbone. Some like to pay for seats, others don’t but do anyway, and yet still others won’t since it’s completely optional.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by amt

Like I say you're entitled to your opinion on what you consider a good seat and I'll defend your right to have one. The fact is I don't consider seats where your feet are in a small box a good seat. Thanks to the design they generally have a smaller seat pitch too. As an example the Apex suite is a very good seat in my opion as it offers aisle access for all passengers and no foot box. Legend has it that this was an F product that they dumbed down a bit to make it more J. On the flipside the Super Diamond, Thompson Vantage XL etc. are not so great for me because of the foot box. The number of seats doesn't really come into it for me except for the availability of purchase/redemptions. YMMV

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 29, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 9:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by amt
Airline with the worst J class seats in the sky
It appears you might have been spared the misfortune of flying in QF SkySlope (some only droop but they droop so severely that they are in fact sloped). I am surprised that they are still in service at all. Long haul J in sloped beds, AND having to actually wake your neighbour to get out of your seat unless you are extremely athletic and happily stand on your seat and spring onto the aisle from the window seat, let alone stepping over feet/calves? Not for me.

Then there are the 'twist seats' of SQ. Again, I was shocked when they kept them on their A350 (non-regional). You can't recline without your feet hitting the back of the seat in front of you, unless you twist yourself so much that your back would really suffer (except in the bulkhead seats - which are really lovely seats). It's a bit daft that I have to change flight if I get aircraft change from regional A350 to non-regional, unless I can get the bulkhead seat (I say this even though I like SQ - my spend per year with SQ is probably a bit higher than on BA - and this to me was a horrifically illogical decision that it pretty upset me!)

Now, if you are talking about short haul J seats, obviously, QF ones are superior to CE. However, at c. AUD 760 one-way sale fare for a one-hour flight, I'd indeed expect better than Club Europe.

As for the seat selection fees, I'm quite happy (in an "I'm alright, jack" selfish way!) that they have what in my opinion is a high seat selection fee, because it keeps better seats for me if I book closer to departure. Without it, I dread to think I might end up in a horrid place for a solo traveller like the middle pair in CW
Jimmie76, JAXBA, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 29, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB

Again let us not confuse "better" and "good". A huge improvement can still result in something which is pretty bad if you start from a low enough base. If an airline had average delays of 4 hours and cuts that to average delays of 1 hour, that is a massive improvement. But that still is extremely poor if comparable airlines have average delays of 10 minutes.
I don't think anyone is confusing that. It is a better policy, and those who complain should appreciate it even if they happen not to like this better policy. Something does not need to be good (very subjective) for people to appreciate an improvement (an objective observation here). Whether or not it is a good policy will depend upon who you ask as countless debates about it have shown.
And, I don't understand any of the comparisons that you've made - they just don't work. Delays or rotten food are deviations from the standard that the company promises, while the inability to select a seat is the standard in itself. The customer is not worse off; they're not given anything rotten or with a delay. I don't think analogies or comparisons work here.
Tobias-UK and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Imagine this scenario. You're in the travel agent looking to buy a flight.

The cost of your flight in 70 quid. Just as you're about to buy it, someone tells you that the same flight is 20 quid cheaper in a TA about 15 mins walk away. Do you walk down the road and pay 20 quid less?

Second senario. You're in the TA about to buy a flight. The cost of the flight is 700 quid, but just as you're about to buy it, someone tells you the same flight is 20 quid cheaper if you walk 15 mins down the road. Do you walk down the road and pay 20 quid less?

Read any good book on behavioural economics (Thaler, Ariely etc) and you will see how the human mind works.

I would walk down the road 15 mins for both..

I used to use Flight Centre when they price matched flights and would save, on average, about Ł50 per Ł500 flight for exactly a 15 min walk out of my house vs booking at home direct. Unfortunately they dont offer this service anymore and from what i understand, BA make it very difficult to price match- they should do it the way John Lewis do.. then i would be way more inclined to book directly.
TTmex likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by amt
The "CW is 8-abreast, other airlines are 4-abreast" myth has been debunked plenty of times. Neither is actually a "fact" in the absolutist sense in which you appear to be using the word.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
That is certainly news to some of us...a link or copy of article please ?
Well you just need to GOOGLE something like - eu commission unfair competition airlines - that should return enough material to give you the gist of it.

Originally Posted by HMPS
BTW as a CUSTOMER matters not to me whether an airline is Govt owned ..if the fare, SERVICE, ground experiences are better, they get my money.
That goes without saying. I do the same.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The "CW is 8-abreast, other airlines are 4-abreast" myth has been debunked plenty of times. Neither is actually a "fact" in the absolutist sense in which you appear to be using the word.
Oh, for a more widespread understanding of very basic geometry...
Old May 30, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jp-mco
Fly First - problem solved
When there is an F cabin, I would always choose First rather than CW.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
When there is an F cabin, I would always choose First rather than CW.
Shock horror. Traveller prefers First class to business. Hold the front page !! (only joking ..... )

I guess the stark reality is that 90% of passengers (or even more ?) simply cannot - or do not - make such a choice.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.