Seat reservation fees increase

Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually the opposite, with the exceptions of certain routes, domestic lounges in the US are generally "clubs" which one had membership in and domestic F does not include lounge access. Again before people jump on this, often Transcons or whatever do include access.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Which, if my memory serves me correctly, is included with every domestic first class fare within the US?
I don't think this is entirely accurate, I've flown Delta first SFO-ATL and as far as I remember no lounge access was permitted
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Many people dont. Oneworld Emerald and Saphire get free seating at time of booking. Ruby at the 7 day mark. Those are the people BA care about, not the once in a lifetime flyer.
Maybe BA should care. The so called once in a lifetime flyer maybe starting the first of many more years of flying BA.
If my memory serves right, I read in another thread on upgrades, the experts here had mentioned that BA many times upgrades people with no status to entice them to buy upper cabin next time
so in one case BA entices and in another doesnt care? Doesnt make sense to me and I am not an expert on BA
amt likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I don't think this is entirely accurate, I've flown Delta first SFO-ATL and as far as I remember no lounge access was permitted
I think @Globaliser forgot to close the </sarcasm> tag
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hfly
Actually the opposite, with the exceptions of certain routes, domestic lounges in the US are generally "clubs" which one had membership in and domestic F does not include lounge access.
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Yes - this was precisely my point.

If there are certain services that should be part of certain price points that one pays for any product, and if an airline ticket should be no different, then one would have thought that lounge access should be part of any premium cabin ticket. Instead, one has to pay for entry to the lounge just to ensure you do get in.

That rather undermines the argument that there's some fundamental right to have free seat pre-allocation with every business class ticket, instead of recognising that different airlines do different things in their own way, for their own reasons.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Then that is what the free market is for. There are other airlines that will not insult you thus. I suspect that we would both agree that if you have an otherwise equal choice between two airlines, one of which will insult you and the other of which will not, it would be irrational to choose the one that is being rude.Like lounge access? Which, if my memory serves me correctly, is included with every domestic first class fare within the US?
We'll have to agree to disagree as my standard of what constitutes a premium service at a premium price is different from yours.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by flyer0123

Maybe BA should care. The so called once in a lifetime flyer maybe starting the first of many more years of flying BA.
If my memory serves right, I read in another thread on upgrades, the experts here had mentioned that BA many times upgrades people with no status to entice them to buy upper cabin next time
so in one case BA entices and in another doesn’t care? Doesn’t make sense to me and I am not an expert on BA
Good marketplace logic. But it has no place here for BA as people feel helpless and enough of them fork over the $$$. As to enticing CUSTOMERS for a long term association, BA seems to be myopic.

Last edited by HMPS; Jun 4, 2019 at 1:17 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
We'll have to agree to disagree as my standard of what constitutes a premium service at a premium price is different from yours.
So you don't think that lounge access is a necessary part? It's OK to have to pay for that?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyer0123

so in one case BA entices and in another doesnt care? Doesnt make sense to me and I am not an expert on BA
I wouldn't believe all what you read on here. After all, in real life they don't seem to have any problem attracting customers old and new.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by HMPS
Good marketplace logic. But it has no place here for BA as people feel helpless and enough of them fork over the $$$. As to enticing CUSTOMERS for a long term association, BS seems to be myopic.
I don't think helpless is an accurate description, although I accept some passengers may choose to pay for an advanced seat selection because they are organised and prefer to sort out all their particulars well in advance. Others may feel anxious about being left with a poor choice of seats at check in. I disagree with the myopic description too. The seating policy has been in place for many years now and despite your protest, it is actually appreciated by many BA customers, so I don't think it is short sighted.

I am flying again in a few days time, my waitlist cleared yesterday so I know the cabin is fully booked and very likely is oversold, and I was presented with a seat map with 55% of the seats available me to select from, window, aisle, middles, front, and rear. This is one of the reasons why I like the policy.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:23 pm

6 Tiers?

The fact that BA can identify 6 different "tiers" within the business class cabin tells me that they did a pretty poor job designing the cabin. With most respectable airlines, I find nearly all business class seats to be more or less equal, and I would not pay a premium for any specific seat.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jrpallante
The fact that BA can identify 6 different "tiers" within the business class cabin tells me that they did a pretty poor job designing the cabin. With most respectable airlines, I find nearly all business class seats to be more or less equal, and I would not pay a premium for any specific seat.
For me the new look seats/suites are considered a pretty poor job. I know I'm in a minority over this but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 4, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jrpallante
Would you mind expanding on what you mean by '6 tiers'?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think the poster refers to the pricing categories that differ at the front middle and back and again on upper decks. I have done a test without exec number and counted 4 but would not be surprised there if there are 6.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I assume pricing points depending on location of seats within cabin
Tobias-UK likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.