Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo NRT downgraded to 787-8

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Tokyo NRT downgraded to 787-8

I've yet to recover from this latest schedule update for NRT. Good to see SAN go to the 747 next summer, though.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-24may19/
Old May 27, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Is it possible the routes that look like they are switching to 3 class 777 are earmarked for A350s for the Summer 20 season?
Old May 27, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I've yet to recover from this latest schedule update for NRT. Good to see SAN go to the 747 next summer, though.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-24may19/
I’ve always wondered who flies BA F to NRT (other than people taking advantage of the generous Avios availability). Timing of the switch just before the Tokyo Olympics is arguably a bit odd, though.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I’ve always wondered who flies BA F to NRT (other than people taking advantage of the generous Avios availability). Timing of the switch just before the Tokyo Olympics is arguably a bit odd, though.
LHR-NRT would be a business route. Some high level employees wold be entitled to FC on long flights for business travel. Since tickets would usually be purchased close to departure, these would be highly lucrative FULL IFC fares for BA (or JL or ANA).
Old May 27, 2019, 10:15 am

Overall capacity is reduced by two seats, but Y goes up from 127 to 154. Presumably BA are expecting a few more passengers down the back.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
LHR-NRT would be a business route. Some high level employees wold be entitled to FC on long flights for business travel. Since tickets would usually be purchased close to departure, these would be highly lucrative FULL IFC fares for BA (or JL or ANA).
That wasn’t my point. My point was why someone who was time constrained would take the BA NRT flight when they could take the BA or JL HND flight (or the NH one). I’m sure there are people buying cash F tickets on the route (certainly not me when you can take JL F), but given it’s only an 8 F seat aircraft and yet every time I’ve looked it’s the only Avios availability on the route there can’t be many.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I’ve always wondered who flies BA F to NRT (other than people taking advantage of the generous Avios availability).
Me, given on my last 3 of 4 trips F has been cheaper than J The other was last minute Avios availability.
I've wondered for some time why BA does have the F cabin on this route, I've not seen it more than half full and they can't be making money out of it. On the last flight before the NRT suspension last year I was the only person in the cabin (on an Avios upgrade).

I'll be very sorry to see it go though, as my F flying opportunity will be pretty much over.

In terms of being time constrained on business travel, it depends where you're going... It takes me less time to get to the office from NRT than it would from HND, and the timing is a lot more civilised.

Last edited by LBP2; May 28, 2019 at 5:41 am
Old May 28, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I suppose it depends on how one measures time. Two data points. Last Sunday it took 2h from the BA flight arriving at NRT to hotel using the Limousine bus to TCAT and then a taxi. This evening (Tuesday) journey time from HND to the same hotel was 30 minutes by taxi. And before anyone offers suggestions of public transport options from HND, I am aware of them.

I'll be sad to see the 787-9 go, but I suspect F traffic will be low during summer 2020, so hopefully it will return.

Doc Copper
Old May 28, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I'm surprised BA isn't upping capacity around the Olympics. But then, this comes from the airline which cancelled Baku weeks before the first GP out there.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Jordan D
I'm surprised BA isn't upping capacity around the Olympics. But then, this comes from the airline which cancelled Baku weeks before the first GP out there.
It sort of is. It won't be allowed more aircraft, so ditching F will mean a few more seats to sell in lower cabin classes.

Having flown both NRT and HND this year, the former is far preferred for me. Better departure time, better arrival time, better plane type. The extra 30-40mins on a train is little bother.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
NRT was downgraded in the past to F-less aircraft (787-8 from memory?) for some time so I am not surprised by this, but I would also not be surprised if F returned to NRT later on.

As for me, I would certainly be avoiding Japan during the Olympics so one fewer F flyer to TYO anyway...
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
It sort of is. It won't be allowed more aircraft, so ditching F will mean a few more seats to sell in lower cabin classes.

Having flown both NRT and HND this year, the former is far preferred for me. Better departure time, better arrival time, better plane type. The extra 30-40mins on a train is little bother.
Changing it to a 77W would be a proper upgauge ….
Old May 29, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Bottom line is that HND is closer and better connected to more people in Tokyo/Yokohama, and better connected to more frequent JAL domestic flights. LH significantly downsized and reduced frequency to NRT in the past few years as well (yes this is the route LH F availability was easy too).
Old May 29, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Is it possible the routes that look like they are switching to 3 class 777 are earmarked for A350s for the Summer 20 season?
At least a few, surely. Tel Aviv has already been confirmed as a A350 route once daily hasn't it? Wouldn't mind the A350 on the Newark route either...
Old May 29, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ocprodigy
At least a few, surely. Tel Aviv has already been confirmed as a A350 route once daily hasn't it? Wouldn't mind the A350 on the Newark route either...
No F on a flight to NYC? I don't think that's going to happen. Except on the LGW route maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.