Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Old May 29, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to the Find me a good BA fare ticket clinic.
This is essentially for BA / BA codeshares and partner only. If your booking is essentially on Qatar, Qantas, AA or anyone else, please go to those forums and pursue the matter there. These forums have good subject matter experts to hand.
- Please avoid very vague questions. Specific questions get specific answers. Give exact dates, start point, end point, what flexibility you have.
- As a courtesy to the other forum members, please at least read some of the advice in the posts above, and find one fare as a start point. It's a lot easier to provide constructive feedback that way.
Print Wikipost

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Old May 28, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by madfish
Secondly, although linking to the BA Price promise, this initial mention of this may benefit from mention of the cap rather than ‘double the difference’.
Also, although this may be obvious to some people, while you can't make a BPG claim on a booking where you've used an e-voucher, if you've used some Avios to reduce the amount you paid, then you can still make a claim against the full price.

And more thanks to CWS for a legendary effort!
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Brigsysmart
Hi everyone,

I am searching high and low for any good return fares in J to YYZ from either UK or Ex-EU. I don’t mind a few stops along the way either as also trying to bag some TP’s to get me back to BA SILVER which I just lost :-( Anyone seen anything good? My dates are flexible. Anytime from mid-June to end of August, thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom, I am quite new to this and trying to learn the ropes!

Brigsy
If you don't mind one or more of your sectors being on the Air Belgium operated flights, then there's plenty of cheap flights from MXP and AMS this summer. Below is an example from MXP. And with the extra legs, you'll get plenty of tier points to boot.

Brigsysmart likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Many thanks to everyone who put this together - it's incredibly useful!
Old May 28, 2019, 12:57 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I've got a request please. I would like Sidney or Melbourne late January or early February or Auckland. J class and I can be flexible with dates preferably with ability to book direct with the airline - we can go from anywhere in Europe, INV, JER. Should I wait a bit or should I get in now? Qatar or any OneWorld would be fine as well as BA or QF.

Many Thanks
Mike Skyflier and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
A massive thanks to @corporate-wage-slave and all other contributors for this thread. ^^^
There are many hours invested by a few, for the benefit of many.

Hoping the BAFT community will make use of this clinic thread, thus relieving the pressure on the two busy Premium Fare Deals and TP-run threads.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EI Platinum, VS Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I've got a request please. I would like Sidney or Melbourne late January or early February or Auckland. J class and I can be flexible with dates preferably with ability to book direct with the airline - we can go from anywhere in Europe, INV, JER. Should I wait a bit or should I get in now? Qatar or any OneWorld would be fine as well as BA or QF.

Many Thanks
Cheapest I found so far is c. £2k in early (mid) Feb from GOT to MEL with Cathay. Hope it's a good starting point. I've done LON-MEL a few times in J via various routes and Cathay is still top of my list (mainly thanks to the service) and I think £2k is a pretty good deal if you're happy to do Ex-EU departure.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have done some interim updates, keep the great ideas coming in, it really adds a lot of value when so many people pitch in. Thanks again for the all the kind words, but I highlight that I have been helped by other FTers and even the stuff that I wrote was probably lifted from someone else's original idea.

- many typos removed
- section 1 simplified and made less ponderous (since we ponder anew in post 12)
- a new bit about codeshares
- ditto one way fares
- discount arrangements (Forces, AARP)
- a few more tips on finding cheaper fares.
Crampedin13A, PETER01 and Getafix like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Many Thanks
If I may add by quoting OSL shows this as an example fare from Wed 29th Jan to Wed 19th Feb to SYD.

If I may guide you to the first posts to say that this thread is designed for primarily BA fares and codeshares on ba.com.

Section 12

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31142095-post12.html

so I'll only post that and if I may refer you to section where there are many links (Premium Fare Thread on this board and on it's own too including some sage advice from CWS in the opening posts)

See section 12 for more info re QR etc and they are known for companion 2-4-1 deals now and again but I'm digressing there.

BA - £2,391 OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD (best to take the BA11 and then the BA 15 for maximum TP's)

As to whether it's best to wait or not then I'm not really sure to be honest but the lowest I've seen (BA and the following QF/CX codeshares) it is around the £2,200k mark on ba.com but that's usually off peak.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
2.3) Find Our Cheapest Flight
This is an important one. Whether a basic user or a power searcher, this is a very useful tool for finding the cheapest fare from London. ... on shorthaul routes you may see a return fare shown as say £60 "each way". ... This often confuses people, particularly if you start moving the return flight to another service, when the fare auto-adjusts to wildly different fares.
It is indeed a very helpful tool, but it irked me how the redesign of the BA website removed the option to sort this table by price.

So I wrote my own userscript for Tampermonkey / Greasemonkey which adds sorting functionality, as well as makes sure the EUK flights are displayed as return prices. I don't know if anyone else will find this useful, but here it is regardless; https://groenroos.fi/balpf.user.js - it likely doesn't handle all sorts of edge cases, but it works well enough for my own personal use.
squawk likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
I’m not sure if this question is best suited here but I’ll give it a go

i need to get from Europe to Melbourne around Xmas 2020 so dates aren’t that relevant I’m just planning ahead.

Lets assume i have enough avios for either a straight redemption in J or multi partner redemption in J. I read that the latter works out much cheaper in the spending avios guide but I can't come up with the optimum route? I was thinking LHR - IST - DOH - BOM - KUL - MEL but it works out too expensive once you add in the return

2nd option is going the American route....

3rd option is book return to HKG or SIN in PE and UUA, then find a direct reward flight return from there?

I'm thinking option 3 is the most economical cash and avios wise?

Edit I also have a stash of OB points...
Old May 29, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by W213Sal

i need to get from Europe to Melbourne around Xmas 2020 so dates aren’t that relevant I’m just planning ahead.

Lets assume i have enough avios for either a straight redemption in J or multi partner redemption in J. I read that the latter works out much cheaper in the spending avios guide but I can't come up with the optimum route? I was thinking LHR - IST - DOH - BOM - KUL - MEL but it works out too expensive once you add in the return

3rd option is book return to HKG or SIN in PE and UUA, then find a direct reward flight return from there?

Try AMS-HKG-KUL-SYD or AMS-HKG-TYO-SYD on the partner award.

Bear in mind there's a fair chance of getting a cash ticket in J for around the £2200 mark ex-EU, so make sure you assess what your points are worth vs paying cash.
W213Sal likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by W213Sal

For multi-partner redemptions I've been offered LHR-NRT (JAL or BA) then NRT-MEL on QF previously. If you're looking to spend Avios then I would have thought that going the most direct routing would be preferable?

My issue with J redemptions to Australasia is that the earn rate for paid bookings is so good that burning miles makes less sense. You can earn 30,000-40,000 Avios from a return trip depending on your level within BAEC. It's well worth comparing:

- The TOTAL cost in Avios from a redemption. This is the actual redemption figure PLUS the lost Avios that would be earned on a revenue booking.
- The comparative taxes. From LHR-SYD you're looking at £761 in taxes alone.

So two options could be, for example:

1) Redemption : 180,000-200,000 Avios burnt (on multi-partner booking, depending on destination) + didn't earn 30,000-40,000 Avios plus £700 taxes - so total cost 210,000-240,000 Avios + £700ish taxes
2) Revenue OSL-SYD/MEL : No Avios used, earned 30,000-40,000. £2300-2400 total cost including £700 taxes. Plus 600 TP's for Silver membership alone.

So the revenue solution costs maybe £1700 more but saves me 210,000-240,000 Avios plus gives me 600 TP's.

YMMV
george77300 and W213Sal like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Thanks guys! lots of good suggestions

I priced LHR-IST-DOH-SIN-MEL one way at 150k avios one way + 310 in TFS, no saving in avios vs pricing directly, but you save about 300£ in TFS one way I think it's alright but not that tempting

I'm leaning towards PE return to HKG or SIN, then UUA into CW, straight redemption from HKG or SIN to MEL (SIN-MEL works out cheaper), it's about 1K return + 184k avios? (Not counting avios earned for PE + TPs)
Old May 29, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Hello all!

i have to fly to Vancouver in the next year or so a few times. So far the cheapest i have found is inverness-London-Vancouver around 1.500. Any other places in Europe i can fly cheaper in J to Vancouver?
Old May 29, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ermis177
i have to fly to Vancouver in the next year or so a few times. So far the cheapest i have found is inverness-London-Vancouver around 1.500. Any other places in Europe i can fly cheaper in J to Vancouver?
Can you give an example set of dates for the flights? For instance, a lot depends on whether you stay a Saturday night or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.