Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Old May 29, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to the Find me a good BA fare ticket clinic.
This is essentially for BA / BA codeshares and partner only. If your booking is essentially on Qatar, Qantas, AA or anyone else, please go to those forums and pursue the matter there. These forums have good subject matter experts to hand.
- Please avoid very vague questions. Specific questions get specific answers. Give exact dates, start point, end point, what flexibility you have.
- As a courtesy to the other forum members, please at least read some of the advice in the posts above, and find one fare as a start point. It's a lot easier to provide constructive feedback that way.
Print Wikipost

Find me a good British Airways fare - ticket clinic [Beta / draft: BA FARES ONLY]

Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by IntVic
An option is to book multi city, out from MAD and back to LHR. Fare goes up approx Ł120 but may be worth it if you want to end trip in London.
Nice find! I could only find low-ish fares for this routing when flying on CX, not BA, I must have missed these.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Good Morning everyone.

To optimize my TPs for a trip to SFO in Economy I ve found the following connection:

This is actually a good deal in my opinion, as I am limited in dates. Now I d like to stay a little longer in NYC to book a 2nd roundtrip to PIT to visit a friend for a few days. Everytime I try it, the price will bump up by a few hundred Euro, because it is a stopover and not a transfer anymore. Any idea, how I can manage to get a longer layover? It is not important which east coast airport I will fly in, as long as their are flights to PIT. MY departure airports are limited to HAJ, HAM and maybe TXL.

Thank you all in advance.

Maze
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Maze13
To optimize my TPs for a trip to SFO in Economy I ve found the following connection:

This is actually a good deal in my opinion, as I am limited in dates. Now I d like to stay a little longer in NYC to book a 2nd roundtrip to PIT to visit a friend for a few days. Everytime I try it, the price will bump up by a few hundred Euro, because it is a stopover and not a transfer anymore. Any idea, how I can manage to get a longer layover? It is not important which east coast airport I will fly in, as long as their are flights to PIT. MY departure airports are limited to HAJ, HAM and maybe TXL.
I have got a routing for you, it slightly changes your dates and the pricing that I am showing you is a bit more than your pricing however there are a few caveats:

- This routing includes the flights to PIT so you don't need to worry about adding them on and they are all on one ticket so delays etc will be covered
- I have purposely picked BA flight numbers in this routing (so as to attempt to more closely fit the brief of this thread!), you can pick AA codeshares (on the same flights) and it does reduce the price slightly

This will not give you a longer period in PIT all in one go but instead gives you two short periods in PIT (one each way!) so of course is not ideal but does help in reaching your target of spending time there.

As you are trying to maximise TPs in economy (I often try to do this, it is not easy!) this route will give you 110TPs and as a BAEC Bronze 7274 Avios.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Jun 30, 2019 at 7:03 am Reason: Fixed mistake information about codeshares
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:00 am

Trying to find the cheapest way to fly to Asia in January as part of a business trip. Outbound is flexible as planning to have a bit of a holiday first, looking to leave around 31 December/1 January and open to where we fly to, but return is more fixed as need to be able to get back to London by Sunday 12 January and I need to be in Singapore until 7pm on Saturday 11 January. Happy to go ex-EU; was originally looking at QR flights from Sofia, but the cost has increased to the point that I think BA via somewhere closer to home is likely to be just as cost effective. At the moment leaning towards AMS or ARN to SIN as these seem to be (fractionally) cheapest, but can anyone see anything I am missing?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by kyzena
Trying to find the cheapest way to fly to Asia in January as part of a business trip. Outbound is flexible as planning to have a bit of a holiday first, looking to leave around 31 December/1 January and open to where we fly to, but return is more fixed as need to be able to get back to London by Sunday 12 January and I need to be in Singapore until 7pm on Saturday 11 January. Happy to go ex-EU; was originally looking at QR flights from Sofia, but the cost has increased to the point that I think BA via somewhere closer to home is likely to be just as cost effective. At the moment leaning towards AMS or ARN to SIN as these seem to be (fractionally) cheapest, but can anyone see anything I am missing?
SOF-SIN on those dates is Ł1171 in business, which is very good. Problem is you won't get back for the specific date you specify on that route (I'm assuming you're London-ish based).

ARN-SIN would just about work with your dates, connecting through LHR, but you can add almost Ł500 to the above price as a result, ignoring the positioning on top of that. Again not awful - seeing as BA would want about Ł3K for LHR-SIN direct - but not total bargain rates.

So I think it depends on what kind of budget you're looking at and would deem reasonable. I can't seem to spot any other 'tricks' at the mo...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
SOF-SIN on those dates is Ł1171 in business, which is very good. Problem is you won't get back for the specific date you specify on that route (I'm assuming you're London-ish based).

ARN-SIN would just about work with your dates, connecting through LHR, but you can add almost Ł500 to the above price as a result, ignoring the positioning on top of that. Again not awful - seeing as BA would want about Ł3K for LHR-SIN direct - but not total bargain rates.

So I think it depends on what kind of budget you're looking at and would deem reasonable. I can't seem to spot any other 'tricks' at the mo...
Yes, Londonish based. At the moment the return date is key, although may see whether I can swing a day or two more. The plus is ARN/AMS allow for an easy return on the same day, SOF is a little more challenging, assuming I want to keep to OW (and confess I've not looked at anything else). Budget wise, the Sofia option is more amenable, but ARN/AMS just about in the ballpark. Thanks for looking.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:11 pm

The cheapest on BA (which is what this thread is for) seems to be from ARN or GOT where you can get it for Ł1650ish (example: https://www.google.co.uk/flights#flt...7*2.GBP.164017)

I am, however, not sure I see the issue with SOF-DOH-SIN here

Ticket A: (Ł126 in Y or Ł292 in J [for 160TPs])
31/12/19 BA890 LHR-SOF dep 08:10, arr 13:15
12/01/20 BA891 SOF-LHR dep 14:05, arr 15:40

Ticket B: (Ł1,180 in J)
31/12/19 QR226 SOF-DOH dep 22:40, arr 04:30
01/12/20 QR944 DOH-SIN dep 08:15, arr 21:15
11/01/20 QR947 SIN-DOH dep 20:45, arr 00:20
12/01/20 QR227 DOH-SOF dep 06:55, arr 11:25

You are still back in UK on 12 Jan you just have an annoyingly long stop in Sofia on the way there and in Doha on the way back, QR should interline your bag SIN-DOH-SOF-LHR too.

If you booked Ticket A on EasyJet instead you may get better timings for less cash too...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
The cheapest on BA (which is what this thread is for) seems to be from ARN or GOT where you can get it for Ł1650ish

I am, however, not sure I see the issue with SOF-DOH-SIN here

Ticket A: (Ł126 in Y or Ł292 in J [for 160TPs])
31/12/19 BA890 LHR-SOF dep 08:10, arr 13:15
12/01/20 BA891 SOF-LHR dep 14:05, arr 15:40

Ticket B: (Ł1,180 in J)
31/12/19 QR226 SOF-DOH dep 22:40, arr 04:30
01/12/20 QR944 DOH-SIN dep 08:15, arr 21:15
11/01/20 QR947 SIN-DOH dep 20:45, arr 00:20
12/01/20 QR227 DOH-SOF dep 06:55, arr 11:25

You are still back in UK on 12 Jan you just have an annoyingly long stop in Sofia on the way there and in Doha on the way back, QR should interline your bag SIN-DOH-SOF-LHR too.

If you booked Ticket A on EasyJet instead you may get better timings for less cash too...
This is my ideal itinerary, I've just not been able to find anywhere where I can actually book it at that price; it has been coming in around Ł1600 which is why I've come back to looking at BA options. But in looking this morning maybe that's changed....
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:52 pm

This is my ideal itinerary, I've just not been able to find anywhere where I can actually book it at that price; it has been coming in around Ł1600 which is why I've come back to looking at BA options. But in looking this morning maybe that's changed....
It seems to me that it is bookable for Ł1,180 on the QR webpage. Good luck!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC
I know it’s probably a long shot but are there any really cheap flights around Europe in July/August? Not really fussed about the destination just want a cheap deal whether that be flight or holiday package.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I know it’s probably a long shot but are there any really cheap flights around Europe in July/August? Not really fussed about the destination just want a cheap deal whether that be flight or holiday package.
Perhaps start here: Google Flights, that search result is for "Europe" in Club Europe from LHR for some random dates in August, adjust the dates as needed. If you can fly mid-week places like Amsterdam and Dublin are usually the cheapest and for a bit more Brussels and Luxembourg.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'm finding some great fares in Jan out of LAX to DUB via LHR.

9th Jan returning 31st Jan, pricing at 640 USD in WTP.
There is tons of redemptions in CW, but when I call BA, they say they cannot get it to price to upgrade to CW and say my best option is paying 2200 GBP and 69000 avios, which is definitely not the case.

I was estimating some 640 USD for the underlying fare, then around 300 in YQ plus the avios 50000-55000 in total.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by TTmex

There is tons of redemptions in CW, but when I call BA, they say they cannot get it to price to upgrade to CW and say my best option is paying 2200 GBP and 69000 avios, which is definitely not the case.

I was estimating some 640 USD for the underlying fare, then around 300 in YQ plus the avios 50000-55000 in total.

Thanks
I am going to suggest that this may be to Dual Inventory Fares, from what I understand, there are some DIFs which can ONLY be booked at BA.com and even the BA call centre staff are unable to see these fares. Therefore the only way to book these and UuA to CW is to book them online and hope that the Avios availability is still there to UuA after you have booked. There are a few threads where this has been mentioned before but I cannot find them right now! Will update if I can find them.

UPDATE: Found the post I was looking for: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27238786-post7.html
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TTmex

Thanks
Just one another data point on this. When I get through to the booking screen, it summarises the flight info and states NO CHECKED BAGGED for all four sectors, despite it being Economy Plus for the SH and Premium Economy for the LH.

Very odd. Guessing just a glitch. I'd love to be able to price these things up myself, but the UUA function on the website won't work for s&&&
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:44 am

Great, thanks. There seems to be tons of availability, so my hunch is to book online and then try calling to UUA. If they can't do it, I'll just cancel and work out another way. Seems decent value to me to get a ticket in WTP for only 637 usd, then pay the avios and the YQ to get to club for c. 1000 usd. I know YQ can be quite steep out of USA, so will be interesting to see how much it comes out at.
wilsnunn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.