Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will BA cancel duplicate (Avios) bookings on partner airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(

I'm contemplating booking an Avios ticket in business BNE (Brisbane) - SYD - Europe.

It's possible I won't need this ticket but will need to be in Sydney instead and the best flight would be that same BNE - SYD flight, which I would book using Avios in economy.

Are BA likely to have any issues/do anything about me being booked in both economy and business on the same QF flight? Or would QF, come to that?
Old May 25, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
IIRC the BA dupe booking robotic will not cancel bookings on the same flight if they are in different cabins.

I cannot comment on Qantas' systems.

There is also a system keyword that an agent can add to a booking to protect against the dupe robotic. I'm not sure many (if any) call centre agents will know of it though.
cbagent likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by CitySlacker
IIRC the BA dupe booking robotic will not cancel bookings on the same flight if they are in different cabins.

I cannot comment on Qantas' systems.

There is also a system keyword that an agent can add to a booking to protect against the dupe robotic. I'm not sure many (if any) call centre agents will know of it though.
Ive never heard of the keyword you refer to and ive been at BA a few years. Really the answer is another airline is highly likely to cancel dupe segments.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
From memory, I think QF takes a stricter view about duplicates than BA does (or, at least, used to take). ISTR at least one thread on the QF board saying that if you reserve more than one seat on the same route on the same day, QF will regard that as a duplication and cancel one of the bookings, even if the reservations are on different flights and even if both reservations are ticketed.

If one of the QF experts sees this thread, it might be useful to know whether that policy is still in operation.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Anonba
Ive never heard of the keyword you refer to and ive been at BA a few years. Really the answer is another airline is highly likely to cancel dupe segments.
You may not have have heard of them, but you will definitely have seen them if you use native Amadeus Res. They are SK elements (System Keywords) and they are what force the system to do some airline specific actions.
e.g.
SK PROT BA is a system keyword that tells the auto cancel robotic to ignore this PNR and protect the booking due to disruption.
SK NOEX tells the system not to place a passenger in the Exit Row, because another agent has assessed them as not suitable.

There are many keywords. These keywords power things like the Same Day Change robotic, Paid Seating Access, and DCS linking. BA doesn't train their agents about these, because it would allow agents to input them directly, which could dilute revenue.
cbagent likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by louie-m
Are BA likely to have any issues/do anything about me being booked in both economy and business on the same QF flight? Or would QF, come to that?
BA does not cancel ticketed duplicate reservations. That being said, you should ask this question on the QF forum as BA is acting as an agent here and QF's policies regarding duplicate bookings apply.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 31, 2019 at 3:28 am
Old May 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I think I know the BA keyword CitySlacker refers to, but it's for use when the bookings are actually for two different people - and it probably wouldn't stop other airlines' robotics.

Some keywords are airline specific too; QF may not recognise a BA one, and vice versa.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by CitySlacker
You may not have have heard of them, but you will definitely have seen them if you use native Amadeus Res. They are SK elements (System Keywords) and they are what force the system to do some airline specific actions.
e.g.
SK PROT BA is a system keyword that tells the auto cancel robotic to ignore this PNR and protect the booking due to disruption.
SK NOEX tells the system not to place a passenger in the Exit Row, because another agent has assessed them as not suitable.

There are many keywords. These keywords power things like the Same Day Change robotic, Paid Seating Access, and DCS linking. BA doesn't train their agents about these, because it would allow agents to input them directly, which could dilute revenue.

Yes i’m quite well aware of how keywords work and how the PROT keyword works but what you are referring to is something different.

The SK PROT is a keyword which protects BA flights from NOSHOW cancellation, it cannot stop the robotic from another airline cancelling duplicate availability. That is why I explained there is no keyword I know of that would be able to prevent this.

You are also incorrect in your other assumptions, BA do train agents like myself about keywords. Indeed they are as you mention key in identifying if someone has paid for seats, free change on the day bookings,along with other things. Also we are able to add most keywords and they are entered via the system they do not have to be entered natively in Amadeus.

Please in the interests of accuracy dont make assumptions about things you dont know about!!
argonath likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
The majority view on the Qantas board was that one of the duplicate bookings would be cancelled. Given BA introduced the new higher Avios redemption rates a day earlier than they said they would which caught me out, I've held off for now and will probably book via one of Virgin Australia's partners instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.