Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A genuine question for rude BA passengers

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There were a number of passengers on this morning's BA8492, TXL - LCY, who should have been on medication. I've never known such a rude and disruptive bunch, and arrival couldn't come soon enough.
origin, Bearface and nancypants like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I tend to find that the nicer you are to people, including Cabin Crew, the more they are likely to help you in return ...

Travelling in Y to and from PIT last week I was royally looked after by the crew, for which I was extremely grateful - in fact I specifically asked to see the CSM to make sure he thanked them on my behalf during the Mixed Fleet de-brief, and from his reaction that's not something that happened very often. All that brought was more leftover goodies from CW and another glass of champagne, although by the time I was served afternoon tea with a tablecloth (albeit at 2am UK time) the people sitting in the aisle opposite must have wondered what on earth was going on!
I’m afraid that sounds a little over the top in my opinion not appropriate.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
There's no suggestion that access to medical records is granted. More that crews are alert to the signs of mental health. It's common practice and often referred to as a duty of care in many UK organisations now. Professionals would probably argue that rudeness is linked to the mind functions and emotions being distorted (for whatever reason, including as a result of alcohol, frustration) but that's maybe not for this forum. I certainly looked at the individual on my flight as being irrational in that moment (with possibly low emotional intelligence) but in an empathetic way, hence the question.
Isn't asking someone whether they're on medication a question about their medical records? If you can't see my medical records, I'm certainly not going to answer questions about what's in them and if forced, there's nothing to prevent the passenger from lying. It seems very hard to see how asking them if they're on medication or not taking their medication could possibly improve the situation. In fact, many customers would absolutely regard it as a hostile question, as well as an extremely inappropriate thing to ask a customer.
AnaTravel and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:51 am

All rude people do not have mental illness and All mental illness people are not rude. Assuming a person has mental illness and on medication because of his rude behavior is absolutely a very rude thought and comment towards people with genuine mental illness.
Unfortunately this seems to be a normal thought among people and I feel really sorry for the people with mental illness and also why people with mental illness hide their illness rather than getting it treated
Old May 24, 2019, 7:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m afraid that sounds a little over the top in my opinion not appropriate.
Seemed highly appropriate to me .

I wasn't expecting anything more than I'd paid for, which was a Y seat with Y catering. There really weren't many Golds in the back - three on the way out, only MrsNWI and I on the return - so we did get singled out a little. Nothing I did was with the aim of getting something extra - everything arrived unsolicited (perhaps with the exception of the first glass of champagne, which was my cheeky ask to the prompt of 'Is there anything I can get you?' when the CSM introduced himself, although I was quite prepared for the answer to be 'sorry, can't do that').

So if you felt you'd looked after a passenger well and arguably made them more likely to fly with BA in the future you wouldn't want them to say thank you? I don't think CC get enough praise, so to my mind it seems right and proper to recognise that both immediately and through the 'Well Done' route afterwards. Not everyone has ulterior motives, and more often than not I'll say exactly the same things and receive no more than I'm entitled to.
mrow likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:08 am

When asked if I'm on medication, which answer will net me a free upgrade to CW ?
nk15 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:14 am

Assuming rude people are mentally ill would be viewed as discrimination and may open doors to litigation against airlines. Rightly so.

In my experience, British Airways CC are usually pretty kind when dealing with people who are upset, emotional or tired. I highlight bad service but always try to be calm and constructive when doing so. Staff shouldn't pander to ridiculous demands or indulge terrible behaviour though. There has to be a balance. On several CW and CE flights in the last few months I received exceptional service from crews managing full flights. They worked really hard. On one flight I heard the CSM congratulate his team in the galley for doing a great job. I don't know if this is normal but I thought it was a lovely touch.
nancypants and Tiffywren like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Trying to think what is more rude: a passenger complaining about their meal service or a passenger asking someone else about their mental health history and what medications they're taking.
AStarr likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
How is this even a thread?

Honestly, has Jeremy Kyle come to FlyerTalk??
LCY8737 and cjb666 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seemed highly appropriate to me .

I wasn't expecting anything more than I'd paid for, which was a Y seat with Y catering. There really weren't many Golds in the back - three on the way out, only MrsNWI and I on the return - so we did get singled out a little. Nothing I did was with the aim of getting something extra - everything arrived unsolicited (perhaps with the exception of the first glass of champagne, which was my cheeky ask to the prompt of 'Is there anything I can get you?' when the CSM introduced himself, although I was quite prepared for the answer to be 'sorry, can't do that').

So if you felt you'd looked after a passenger well and arguably made them more likely to fly with BA in the future you wouldn't want them to say thank you? I don't think CC get enough praise, so to my mind it seems right and proper to recognise that both immediately and through the 'Well Done' route afterwards. Not everyone has ulterior motives, and more often than not I'll say exactly the same things and receive no more than I'm entitled to.
A couple glasses of champagne seems appropriate, table cloths and extra goodies from CW does not.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Assuming rude people are mentally ill would be viewed as discrimination and may open doors to litigation against airlines. Rightly so.

In my experience, British Airways CC are usually pretty kind when dealing with people who are upset, emotional or tired. I highlight bad service but always try to be calm and constructive when doing so. Staff shouldn't pander to ridiculous demands or indulge terrible behaviour though. There has to be a balance. On several CW and CE flights in the last few months I received exceptional service from crews managing full flights. They worked really hard. On one flight I heard the CSM congratulate his team in the galley for doing a great job. I don't know if this is normal but I thought it was a lovely touch.
Catching crew doing something well and thanking them is much better than a general thank you.
origin, wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
There's no suggestion that access to medical records is granted. More that crews are alert to the signs of mental health. It's common practice and often referred to as a duty of care in many UK organisations now. Professionals would probably argue that rudeness is linked to the mind functions and emotions being distorted (for whatever reason, including as a result of alcohol, frustration) but that's maybe not for this forum. I certainly looked at the individual on my flight as being irrational in that moment (with possibly low emotional intelligence) but in an empathetic way, hence the question.
Duty of care would require disclosure and there is no way I'm disclosing my medical history to just any commercial organisation for the sake of it!

Re Rudeness, did you consider that the women was just a rude person pushing her luck as far as it could go because she's done it in the past? Berrate service staff until they give in? I've seen it at work with Directors and managers being totally illogical for their personal gain rather than the greater good. They do it more as a game because their mummy's told them they were special and always have to be number one and get their way. Unfortunately they misunderstood what their mummy meant by "special".
Old May 24, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Catching crew doing something well and thanking them is much better than a general thank you.
Can't you do both? If merited? There are lots of ways to show appreciation.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It wouldn't be appropriate for the crew to ask a passenger if they had diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, etc. or were taking medicines for any of those things. Mental illness is no different.

For an example of why this question doesn't address the perceived problem, one of the most famous inflight issues involved a certain passenger on United Airlines, who basically went bezerk. At the time most people thought he was drunk, high, etc for how he acted. Long after the fact, it was discovered that he was most likely in the beginning stages of dementia. Asking him if he had mental illness or was on medication wouldn't have done anything to help that situation, and most likely would've made it worse, by angering him even more at the insinuation that something was wrong with him.

Also it's a false equivalency that rudeness equals mental illness. I've known plenty of jerks that were just jerks and didn't care who they offended. I know plenty of people with mental illness that are the kindest, gentlest souls you'll ever meet and would be appalled to be rude to anyone.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Travelling in Y to and from PIT last week I was royally looked after by the crew, for which I was extremely grateful - in fact I specifically asked to see the CSM to make sure he thanked them on my behalf during the Mixed Fleet de-brief, and from his reaction that's not something that happened very often. All that brought was more leftover goodies from CW and another glass of champagne, although by the time I was served afternoon tea with a tablecloth (albeit at 2am UK time) the people sitting in the aisle opposite must have wondered what on earth was going on!
Anyone watch Marvel's Daredevil series on Netflix? I just picture other passengers looking at you, like the other inmates watching Wilson Fisk eating his steak in prison!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.