Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Outrageous Ticket Change Prices

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pacenotes
I genuinely don't know why BA only fly A319s to Nice for this weekend.

I was looking for next year and it's the same. They could prob fill a couple of 787s.
The route had a double daily 767 on it last year. They’ve well and truly trashed it.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by YClass
2. This weekend on Nice return flight (yes I know bank holiday and F1) but paid some £1800 for ticket which in itself is a joke (but clearly priced just below private per person!). In J fare bucket on the return. Tried to change to 2hr earlier flight but LHR instead of LCY on same day. Price? £900.
It does depend if you're actually going to Nice or driving on to somewhere else. If you were prepared to fly to Marseille instead, it's £400 return in club from LHR this weekend. You will need to book the awkward times and same-day-change onto the good times.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
So the actual J fare bucket price can change wildly? I'm aware of the J for CE short hand but just assumed that at that price it would be the actual J bucket. I hadn't thought about the matched fare basis, that makes sense.
When I looked this morning there were about 7 fare basis available in the J class, for travel today. In, ranging from £500 to £1700 return. In theory they all have different rules and conditions, in reality they rarely do. So yes, I think that's quite a wild divergence, and if we check tomorrow the situation could be completely different in either direction.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA sets prices at what it believes passengers will pay. If the price is too high, the seat goes out empty or BA drops it to something a passenger will pay. That is what fare buckets are about.

The fact that you consider a fare too high is meaningless if there is someone else who will.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
When I see complaints about high fares, I tend to think, "commercial enterprise", i.e. anyone would try to get as much as possible for a given product. Don't we also try to maximise our pay?

Some of the fares are indeed rather high. I recall something like £845 one way ET fare to Bucharest one Christmas many years ago, which left me feeling traumatised enough to fly out of Luton... (yes that LTN of which I have a phobia).
Dambus, wrp96, Geordie405 and 3 others like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by pacenotes
I genuinely don't know why BA only fly A319s to Nice for this weekend.

I was looking for next year and it's the same. They could prob fill a couple of 787s.
Some European airlines are flying widebodies to NCE over the weekend and at various dates throughout the summer. DY is a particularly frequent user as are XL, TK, and AF obviously typically has a 777 or two (sometimes unannounced!), LH has had some in the past and occasionally, BA 744s or 772s have made it to NCE as have smaller and more surprising airlines such as TP. I think the problem with BA is that with the 787 engine troubles, their long haul fleet is quite stretched at the moment and whilst they could use the 777 to NCE instead of MAD, that would obviously leave a big gap on the MAD route.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YClass
Just occurred to me I’ve had a couple in the last month.... sign of peak markets??

1. On a £6k return J ticket to NYC. Tried to change to earlier return flight on the return. Quote? £4k.....
2. This weekend on Nice return flight (yes I know bank holiday and F1) but paid some £1800 for ticket which in itself is a joke (but clearly priced just below private per person!). In J fare bucket on the return. Tried to change to 2hr earlier flight but LHR instead of LCY on same day. Price? £900.

Also have asked for (paid) upgrades to Club on Euro routes twice at airport and BA has said nothing available and can’t upgrade. One lady said “What do you want BA to just upgrade you for free?”. Erm no. But since empty seats available on flight (EF shows it and when on the plane), why wouldn’t BA sell a seat? Even said don’t care if no meal (had specific reasons for doing it so let’s not go into the sense of it).

What is this??

Anyway, interested if other people have experienced what I think are truly unreasonable pricings!
one tip.

If you try to change inbound befoe flying outbound, BA pricing rules dictate the ticket is repriced at that days prices in same class+bucket , or costlier bucket if original bucket closed off, plus change fees

Instead far far better (cheaper) to only request change of inbound date/time after first completing all outbound legs.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Foltan
I don't say this as a way to be unpleasant, but surely as you're willing to pay £1,800 for a return flight to France, you're the very cause of the problem? If people didn't pay the extortionately jacked-up prices when there's high demand, then they wouldn't try and charge them.
Such a polite put down and complaint can only come from a Brit.
cauchy likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
HEL > EDI via LHR

I could easily pick this journey up for on average the 200 pounds mark for a basic Y return

But lately with the changes to schedule prices are closer to 600 or 700 pounds for the most basic Y fare

That's why I have been forced to change airline as its no longer affordable for my regular trip.

BAEC no more wasted time chasing status that I can no longer use.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by scubaccr

Instead far far better (cheaper) to only request change of inbound date/time after first completing all outbound legs.
That is a good strategy, until one finds no availability whatsoever, as I have done...
Old May 24, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by scubaccr
one tip.

If you try to change inbound befoe flying outbound, BA pricing rules dictate the ticket is repriced at that days prices in same class+bucket , or costlier bucket if original bucket closed off, plus change fees

Incorrect. If outbound is not being changed, current or historical fares may be used, whichever is lower.

Has been thus for several years now.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I can’t offer anything particularly outrageous on price changes, but I did get an outrageous BA Holiday price for a week in Rio next year...

Old May 24, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by Peter_S
I can’t offer anything particularly outrageous on price changes, but I did get an outrageous BA Holiday price for a week in Rio next year...

Did you go for it?
Boturham and Peter_S like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
It seemed expensive for 280 tier points
And, it was room only!!

Based on the tier points run thread £1,400 gets you 1,320 tier points.
So £76,360 would let you do that 54 times. Say you only managed 52; one a week for a year. That’s 68,640 tier points
Old May 25, 2019, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Peter_S

BARGAIN Hope you managed to snap that up LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.