Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing CW experience

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
for the butter being rock hard.. my "hack" is to hold the butter dish in my hands for a short time.. sometimes it melts it just enough to actually use it.
Would you expect this at a premium restaurant? As the comment above said, we are all our own worst enemy as we stick with BA.

I mean can even begin to imagine what an absolute mess the service will be like on the new product? They are going to have to actually lay a table cloth (maybe), actually place things on your table etc, open a door to serve you. They are going to just collapse. Dinner service will take 4 hours.

Maybe the answer in Club World is to actually call you up to the galley 1 by 1. You collect your food, drink, water etc and then carry it to your seat. Maybe this is answer? Almost canteen style.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Young82
Would you expect this at a premium restaurant? As the comment above said, we are all our own worst enemy as we stick with BA.

I mean can even begin to imagine what an absolute mess the service will be like on the new product? They are going to have to actually lay a table cloth (maybe), actually place things on your table etc, open a door to serve you. They are going to just collapse. Dinner service will take 4 hours.

Maybe the answer in Club World is to actually call you up to the galley 1 by 1. You collect your food, drink, water etc and then carry it to your seat. Maybe this is answer? Almost canteen style.
no, you would not expect this from a premium restaurant, but you have to remember that BA, is an airline (of course you know that ) and thinking you are going to get a "premium" restaurant experience... well forget it
I have always gone by the thought that I am just paying for a bigger seat... not expecting more then that, because I know that I will be disappointed.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
no, you would not expect this from a premium restaurant, but you have to remember that BA, is an airline (of course you know that ) and thinking you are going to get a "premium" restaurant experience... well forget it
I have always gone by the thought that I am just paying for a bigger seat... not expecting more then that, because I know that I will be disappointed.
I completely agree. While the service the OP was disappointing indeed (although I never remember being offered drinks a part from the welcome one and during my meal), expecting to eat well at altitude is delusional.

I'd argue that the average pub has better food on offer than most business class catering.
These are highly-processed meals with average ingredients cooked on the ground and heated in the air. The presentation might be premium but the food certainly isn't.
fotographer likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AleTrail
Jumping on on this thread with my experience in J - Phoenix to LHR (747 upper deck) on 4th May.
Miniscule dribbles of champagne served before take off.
The flight departed at 19:55 and dinner service was completed at 22:45 for me. Zero drink top ups during service.
On a night flight I don't think 3 hours end to end dinner service is quick enough sorry.
I asked for a Speedbird100 the FA went away to look but never came back with an answer.
I'm not a proper heathen but I expected Pan Roasted Scallops to be served hot, they were ice cold and supposedly "are meant to be sir".
I used the cabin bell to make this query but it was un-answered. After 2 bell calls and 10 minutes I just took my tray into the galley and asked.
After the dinner service my other half stated "I'm glad we had lunch today because if I'd saved myself for this I'd have been seriously disappointed".
Had a decent sleep and got back safe and sound so first world problems eh?
I flew IAD-LHR a few days ago, and had no complaints. Champagne upon boarding. Crew came through with menus and breakfast cards. A drink and nuts followed. Served the meal - I've had better, but I've had a lot worse, especially on UA - efficiently, dinner service was under 2 hours. Three wine top offs without asking for it. Prompt breakfast when I woke up after a nice nap.

I guess everything is relative.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That sounds like a normal flight halls 120.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
... if you are not on JFK, LAX, HKG, SIN etc they just think they are doing you all a favor by letting your travel in CW?
Agree that the JFK route tends to be very good, as are the MIA flights. I've had great flights to/from DOH (I did think for a moment I acted irrationally by booking on the BA-operated flights rather than QR, but with a good crew, BA competes well other than on hard product). HKG has never been impressive at all, and added to very poor ex-HKG catering, I just hate that route. Not sure if they make a good profit on it (the plane isn't always full, surprisingly)... CX isn't much better either.

As for the steak, perhaps I'm missing something, but why is there so much hype about it? I just think it would be quite irrational to expect "good" steak on a flight given the difficulty in getting exceptional steaks on the ground. They used to have braised beef cheeks, and those were good. Think it must have been somewhere on this forum where someone did discuss the different aspects of catering to consider, and I think the conclusion was that slow-cooked items, soups, etc. tend to hold up very well on flights?
Old May 24, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
. HKG has never been impressive at all, and added to very poor ex-HKG catering, I just hate that route. Not sure if they make a good profit on it (the plane isn't always full, surprisingly)... CX isn't much better either.
BA's catering out of Hong Kong changed a month ago, are you referring to the previous supply line?
Old May 24, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
My experiences in BA CW have varied from OK to very good. I regard any airline that can consistently deliver a profit as a real airline.
Andriyko and HIDDY like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rubecula
My experiences in BA CW have varied from OK to very good. I regard any airline that can consistently deliver a profit as a real airline.
Indeed....and they can't be all bad. Even those who dislike them so much are BAEC status holders.

Old May 24, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I can the best meals on BA are the indian veggie in and out of LHR to BOM
yes you can actually eat it
the breads always need work
Old May 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Long term, airlines only stay in business if passengers are willing to pay fares in excess of cost. If an airline is consistently losing money then, however good their rating, I would be wary of booking a ticket.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Unfortunately it was necessary to remove several off topic and disruptive posts. I regret that additional collateral deletions were captured in the thread clean up.

To recap, the OP expressed disappointment in the service received and asked if standard operational procedure fell short of expectations or if there were any service failings that contributed to the dissatisfaction. I'd be grateful if we focus on these points. First hand experience is always appreciated.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I had a pretty similar experience too. I’ve been Gold before, now Silver, used to do JFK once a month for a few years, but the last CW flight I did was just so appalling I’ll avoid at all costs now.

I flew BA40 (Durban to Heathrow) on Sunday 12 May 2019 in Club World. The load was full in business I believe. Whenever I read reviews of people complaining I usually role my eyes, but after this flight - I get it.

Firstly, I appreciate 11h30m is a hard flight to cater for when you depart at 07:35 in the morning.

Breakfast was served about 08:30. It took an age between starter and cooked breakfast arriving, but I was fine with this, and just put it down to mixed crew finding their feet.

However, from the time that the trays were collected (10:00), there was not a single interaction the crew made with me (or from what I could see any other guest) until 2h out of London (17:00). That’s over 7 hours in a business class DAY flight with nobody asking if you wanted water, a snack, more food, if everything was “ok”. Zero.

Absolutely no lunch service was offered. Not even some sandwiches or wraps or anything other than tiny bags of crisps, mini chocolate bars and some shortbread. And they ran very low of food. Also, I mean who has shortbread this side of 1970 (but that’s a another story). Every time I went to the club kitchen it was barely stocked.

By 17:00 I politely asked for just bread and water to help with the level of hunger, but was then told food was almost there. I’d not had a meal since they served breakfast.

Starter arrived at 17:15. The service was so slow. Only 1 crew on each aisle. One tray would come, and then would take 3-5 minutes for the next one. So me and my other half had starters separately. The soup was so salty I could not finish it. The steak then arrived at 17:45. It was eatable but everything else was not. I was out of drinks but I could see the service would not be able to cope with a refill.

They ran out of time so pudding was served quickly and no coffee as no time.

My advice to anyone doing this flight in CW, pack a lunchbox, get sandwiches at the airport, or a wrap etc. You may need something in order to cope with the 7-8 hours with nothing more than a 5cm crunchie bar, and a mini pack of pretzels with 6 of them in!

How CW is even classed as a business class product anymore is beyond me.

How long has MF been around for and how long does it take for them to "find their feet"? Or is there such a high turnover there's alway something new?

Re timings, I can understand your hunger. Cathay has 9am departure Hong Kong to Heathrow. Breakfast is served shortly after departure, but "lunch" is served 5 hours before landing. (about 4pm HK time and 10am UK time) This is on an around 12 to 13 hour flight, arriving at LHR between 2 and 3 pm. This was a smart move. More recently I did the standard overnight flight where we left at midnight and got into LGW at 5ish am. We got fed a "supper" shortly after departure - no different to dinner or lunch service. About 6 hours later people were going for the snacks or noodles so it was a natural "breakfast time for many (I'd connected from Australia, so my body clock was already pretty mixed up). Breakfast was served around 3 am UK time, so a couple of hours before landing. As an asides, despite traveling in Y and the crack of dawn arrival, because I had A350s all the way, I had very little jet lag which was great.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I had a disappointing CW flight LHR EZE in March. No drinks runs before dinner, I wasn’t sure of the procedure as I hadn’t flown in CW in a long while. Apparently there are supposed to be 2 drinks runs before dinner on that route!! Not quite sure how crew can get it sooooo wrong, even if they were some very inexperienced MF crew.

I am not slagging MF crew btw, I have had 2 very good MF working in F on my last 2 flights. Although I do have to say I have had some shocking flights in F with MF over the years. BA are to blame of course.

That said I had very lack lustre crew in CE LHR CFU recently...... generally couldn’t give a damn about the CW pax. No top up of drinks were offered throughout the 3 and half hour flight. I of course asked and was given top ups, but one of the crew kind of made me feel like she was doing me a huge favour. These were not MF crew btw.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Also there should be at least one, and often two, passes of the snack basket in the second half of the flight.
Consistency of service quality and delivery seems to be the main problem to me. The snack basket being passed round is hit and miss in CW. Same with chocolates in F. Reading FT has made me aware of what the standards should be. Perhaps BA could improve customer satisfaction considerably by investing more in staff training and supervision. On one CW flight this year I was offered a towel that was completely dry. Then a thimble of flat, warm champagne. Bizarre little inconsistencies crop up too often.
HMPS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.