Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-LAX in Y.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
AIUI, I think with the introduction of PE on the AA flights which IIRC is mainly 777-300's, that MCE is no longer there.

I've done a few trips to LAX in Y the last one at the end of February there and the A380 (BA 268) is a good choice but my preference is the first flight out (BA 283 on the 747) as I then have a whole day to enjoy Marina Del Ray where is a favourite place of mine.

I'm sure I read that LAX is being plied with an A380 and 2 x 747 rotations come winter time somewhere, possibly routesonline.com

Not that it applies to the OP who is flying in September.
MCE is definitely still available but it's limited to bulkhead and exit rows, but there's also AA's concept of "Preferred Seating" which is also chargeable but which would be free if the OP had the requisite status (or wished to pay). To be honest, however, AA does have some pretty competitive pricing when it comes to booking in Premium Economy so that may be an option if booking W with AA is only a little more expensive that Y with BA.

@PETER01 if you like Marina Del Ray then you should also try places such as Manhattan Beach which is a favourite of mine
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks Geordie405. I wasn't 100% sure but thanks for that info. Even for the CX FLounge at T3 I'd personally rather stay in T5 and fly BA than do the transfer over to T3.

MDR I have been to many, many times but a change next time may be good

Thing is, the Killer Shrimp restaurant and the Cheesecake Factory are right next to where I usually stay at the HGI there.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I agree about the transfer. It's probably the worst aspect of flying AA out of LHR if you're connecting to / from BA. In terms of Manhattan Beach you should definitely try Fishing With Dynamite (I am not a seafood fan and haven't been but know people who have and say it's excellent) or else M.B. Post which is pretty much right next door and is really amazing! Great food and wine
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Peadar
Thanks for all the brilliant information everyone. Shame about 789.... Qatar did the same out of Dublin and squeezed us all on a bit too tightly, so I went back to EK.

I do like the 388 so I'll take some advice and hop on that to LAX. The refurbished 744 is just fine too, it was the old 744 on the MIA route that really put me off the aircraft. It appears that the 388 is off the MIA route for the foreseeable future, so reluctantly I'll use VS....or perhaps AA? ...I did a few flights in the Caribbean with American Airlines recently and I have to say the customer service I received was sensational, (737 Max problems), comfortable flights too....and well behaved, quiet and polite other pax!! It really made a difference. I've not flown transatlantic with AA though, so I do wonder what the offering is like in Y?

Has anyone tried Norwegian in Y? I used them to LAS last year in W and it was good, I've never tried them in Y though and there's always that fear that they'll still be here....

Theres a thread in the Other European Airlines forum on the topic of Norwegian. Some people swear by them, others are worried about their financial security and won't.

Personally, I wouldn't as they are burning through cash at an alarming rate. Also, given the knowledge of their financial situation, you may find your travel insurance won't cover you.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BA gold
I flew BA Y last October to LAX on the A380 (one-way, last minute bargain basement ticket).

I thought it was quite ok, and it was over all too quick for me (I'm used to flying between UK and Oz). I did go quite hungry at the end of the flight, if I remember rightly, it was some pizza/calzone type offering which I managed a bite but couldn't stomach the rest of it.

As I selected the last row of an A380, immigration was a nightmare and it looked like we joined another plane load from Asia at the same time - it took me over two hours before I could go and collect my luggage.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Stez
I flew BA Y last October to LAX on the A380 (one-way, last minute bargain basement ticket).

I thought it was quite ok, and it was over all too quick for me (I'm used to flying between UK and Oz). I did go quite hungry at the end of the flight, if I remember rightly, it was some pizza/calzone type offering which I managed a bite but couldn't stomach the rest of it.

As I selected the last row of an A380, immigration was a nightmare and it looked like we joined another plane load from Asia at the same time - it took me over two hours before I could go and collect my luggage.
Theres a bunch of flights landing at roughly the same time as ba269. Anz1 for example.

Question; did you get a mid flight snack?
Old May 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by truncated
On LAX-LHR UA flies the 789 (9-across Y, and Economy Plus only gives you 3" more legroom but no more width) while NZ operates the 77W (10-across Y), so really the BA 380 followed by 744 are probably your best options here...
This is true, NZ's one advantage is seat pitch is 33" as standard, whereas it is 31" on all others. You can buy exit row on NZ if available at the front which is 2 seats and it's quiet and pleasant (first choice of meals and drinks, which with NZ wines are quite decent) and the toilets and galley for economy are to the rear. BA A380 is better width wise, but NZ wins on legroom (but the aisles are tight). NZ allows you to bid for upgrades to premium economy with money too.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Theres a bunch of flights landing at roughly the same time as ba269. Anz1 for example.

Question; did you get a mid flight snack?
I don't remember, it's quite possible that I was alseep if they did offer it.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hope someone can answer this one. I am booked on AA LHR-DFW in Y on a basic economy ticket but just need clarify one thing : As a BA Silver (OW Sapphire) can I select a main cabin extra seat for free ?
Old May 23, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Hope someone can answer this one. I am booked on AA LHR-DFW in Y on a basic economy ticket but just need clarify one thing : As a BA Silver (OW Sapphire) can I select a main cabin extra seat for free ?

According to the AA website it's free for OW Sapphire but there does seem to be an exclusion for basic economy tickets if I'm reading it right. I've had MCE a few times before however that was before basic economy tickets were for sale. If you've been unable to choose an MCE seat then I'd imagine it's because of having a basic economy ticket.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yeah I feared that - thanks for the info ! Might make a call anyway. Cheers
Old May 23, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Yeah I feared that - thanks for the info ! Might make a call anyway. Cheers
More info here which is confirmed over on the AA Board and lots of info. I can't imagine a call will make any difference as it's their policy.

Elite member access to Main Cabin Extra - Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old May 23, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA has no plans that I'm aware of to refurb the 747s. They only have arounf 4 - 5 years left in the fleet

As to flying in Y. TBH it's not going to be the most pleasurable of experiences whatever airline you fly though if I had to name a preference I'd go with VS

I'd base my decision on price and schedule rather than by airline.
The seats on the Virgin 787 are narrow! But for ~30 quid each way, you can get an upgrade to economy delight, which comes with very decent legroom. That's what I do!
Old May 23, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've done 7 hour flights on the A380 in Y and they are fine. I assume the A380 is still on the LAX route? I've been on the A380 to LAX a few times, granted in W and not Y but I'm sure you'll survive. I prefer the A380 to the 772 in Y, and never again on the 787... my shoulders.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Peadar
I have to go to LA in Y, come September. No W either. I don't mind this! I was recently upstairs in Y on a 388 from MIA and I slept the whole way However, on the way back I was on a 744... a more dreadful aircraft I have yet to experience, in y at least. The IFE was particularly poor. I decided not to use that aircraft again if I can help it.
So my questions are: What aircraft, come fall, do British Airways usually use on The LAX route? Does anybody know if British Airways intend to upgrade the 744 on the MIA route? and can anybody recommend an airline other than British Airways in y on these two routes?

Thanks!
Air New Zealand !! I took it recently and it was really good. Try it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.