Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dropping the last leg when different carriers are involved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Even as a lurker, I’ve done my bit of research and I’m fully aware that this is a sensitive topic which attracts a lot of different opinions.

I may need to drop the last leg of an ex-EU in a few months. It’s something I’ve done only once, years ago. Every other time I’ve done an ex-EU I’ve flown all segments.

In this specific instance, I will be flying on an AA ticket, with only AA flights except for the last leg, which is operated by Iberia. I will be crediting to BAEC.

My question is: if the segment you drop is operated by a different airline from the one that issued the ticket and from the one you’re crediting to, does it reduce or remove completely the risk of “being caught”?

In this specific example, would AA be able to know if I boarded an IB flight?

What if instead of AA/IB it was BA/EI or BA/LH?

I wasn’t sure if it was best to post here or on the AA forum, as in my specific case I’ll be crediting to BAEC.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:03 am

The only time I ever did this I got the TPs and Avios for the dropped flight It was some years ago though, and I was always prepared for them to be rolled back but it never happened.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Welcome - I don't think that you'd "be caught" but there is a risk that they will interline the luggage, unless there is a change in airport. Therefore I'd suggest an airport change and/or an overnight between the penultimate and last flight if possible.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
The only time I ever did this I got the TPs and Avios for the dropped flight It was some years ago though, and I was always prepared for them to be rolled back but it never happened.
That is just luck!

I don't know enough about how interconnected airlines' systems are, but I'd be curious to hear what more knowledgeable people think.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Depending on the ticketing carrier it may reduce the risk of them caring (technically you are always 'caught' as they know you didn't board the flight), but it doesn't overcome the practical considerations like baggage and invol rerouting
Old May 22, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Depending on the ticketing carrier it may reduce the risk of them caring (technically you are always 'caught' as they know you didn't board the flight), but it doesn't overcome the practical considerations like baggage and invol rerouting
Out of curiosity, what would allow them to know that you didn't board the flight?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
Out of curiosity, what would allow them to know that you didn't board the flight?
I'd imagine that the boarding pass not being scanned at the gate might give them an inkling...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I'd imagine that the boarding pass not being scanned at the gate might give them an inkling...
Yes, but my point is how would AA become aware that the op did not board a flight operated by IB?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That you didn't have your BP scanned at the gate.

OP if you have bags be prepared for (1) AA not to short check them and (2) a potentially long wait to have them pulled from the system at whatever airport it is you are switching from AA to IB.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Yes, but my point is how would AA become aware that the op did not board a flight operated by IB?
As it is an AA ticket the coupon wouldn't be pulled when the IB flight wasn't taken.

If the OP has booked directly with AA then I can't see the consequence of 'getting caught' (except through-checked luggage which has been raised elsewhere). If the OP has booked through an agent, they could be served an ADM - effectively a bill for what could be the higher cost of the journey they actually took - which the agent could in theory seek to recoup from the OP.

Personally, I'd have no concern about doing this if I was HBO or if the last leg involved a change of airport.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum gengiscan, it's good to see you here, and I hope you will find it more helpful participating rather than lurking.

This is really an AA question, since it will be their rules that will apply. And broadly speaking AA put a lot of energy into preventing what they would see as non compliant activities. However in this case there would almost certainly be looking at two GDS systems which don't reconcile fully, so I very much doubt there would be a problem. If there other specific factors involved (e.g. if the ticket was booked corporately, or you have a very high AA mileage balance) I may nuance my response somewhat. If it was BA you would be less likely to have issues, if booked directly via BA. One option to consider: moving the date of the last flight to a time when it may be useful to do so. Depending on the specifics it may, or may not, be cost effective to do this after the first flight.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you are crediting to BAEC, I don't see what AA can realistically do. Would they really take you to court and argue that you should pay 2x for flying 0.9x of your ticket? Perhaps they could ban you from flying AA ever again.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
When I have to drop a flight, I just have my TA cancel that coupon in the record.

Then nobody is waiting for me at the gate...the seat isnt held...the underlying ticket sits in limbo

Nobody EVER comes back and says "say we saw there was a canceled coupon that never got rebooked'

Finally, having plans change and needing to drop a flight is not the same as willfully booking hidden cities.
Wbeest likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
When I have to drop a flight, I just have my TA cancel that coupon in the record.

Then nobody is waiting for me at the gate...the seat isnt held...the underlying ticket sits in limbo

Nobody EVER comes back and says "say we saw there was a canceled coupon that never got rebooked'

Finally, having plans change and needing to drop a flight is not the same as willfully booking hidden cities.
...same...absolutely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.