Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked on AA but missing outward leg showing on BA

Old May 21, 19, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GOLD

Good Morning,
I have booked LHR-BOS-MIA-LHR on AA. All three flights show on the AA app however on the BA app the LHR-BOS outward segment is missing. In addition the record locator is different to that used on BA? Any ideas as to solution? Many thanks BM
Old May 21, 19, 11:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Solution to what are you seeking? BA and AA use different reservation system so the record locators would be different. How exactly are your flights booked? All under AA code or some under a BA code? As long as all flights are showing on aa.com (since you booked with AA), you are fine.
Old May 21, 19, 11:32 pm

This is completely normal.

As long as your main reservation (AA) is correct, there is nothing to worry about. There is some technical reason between the two systems AA and BA use, but I've never been that bother to understand why
Old May 21, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Perhaps you booked on AA but one leg was an AA ticketed code-share for a BA metal flight. If you provide AA flight numbers for your flights this should be easy to work out.
Old May 21, 19, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt replies
booked as
LHR-BOS BA215
BOS-MIA AA29
MIA-LHR AA6159
Old May 22, 19, 12:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bagman55 View Post
booked as
LHR-BOS BA215
BOS-MIA AA29
MIA-LHR AA6159

OK. Thanks for posting the flight details. You will have two BA record locators - one for BA215 and one for BA206 (booked as AA6159). This is perfectly normal. You have nothing to worry about. If you call AA they will give the record locator for BA215 (alternatively you can call BA and ask them to find you on that flight).
Old May 22, 19, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
OK. Thanks for posting the flight details. You will have two BA record locators - one for BA215 and one for BA206 (booked as AA6159). This is perfectly normal. You have nothing to worry about. If you call AA they will give the record locator for BA215 (alternatively you can call BA and ask them to find you on that flight).
This! I have a TP run on AA and BA metal later this year, all booked on AA with a 001 ticket. My BA record locator didn't show all the flights, called BA just in case (even though the AA app had everything) and BA were able to find a second record locator. I use them both to track my flights and book seats etc.
Old May 22, 19, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
booked as
LHR-BOS BA215
BOS-MIA AA29
MIA-LHR AA6159

There are actually two issues here. Firstly that the BA PNR you can find is incomplete and misses out the LHR-BOS flight. This is normal as noted above.

The AA master PNR needs to show everything, but as long as that is ok then it is fine. The BA PNR you have found is there only to cover the BA operated and AA marketed flight for MIA-LHR. As such only flights which connect to or from it are really relevant and therefore only the BOS-MIA is also shown.

So this is the other issue you have. You actually have two BA PNR, one which covers the BA operated & marketed LHR-BOS flight (you can't see that PNR yet) and another which covers the BA operated & AA marketed MIA-LHR flight which you can see. If you make a booking with AA and it contains AA operated & marketed, BA operated & AA marketed flights, and BA operated & marketed flights you should have:

- AA PNR issued on your ticket from AA - used to do seat selection for your AA operated & marketed flights
- BA PNR for seat selection on your BA operated & AA marketed flights (the one you can see)
- another BA PNR for seat selection on your BA operated & marketed flights (the one you haven't found yet

In terms of getting the hidden BA PNR you can either call as noted above by others, or use this method:

One way to get your BA PNR is
- go to the Qantas website and put your AA PNR in to MMB
- when in the booking go to the seat selection section and you should see "Seat selection is only available for flights operated by Qantas. To select seats and manage your booking, visit British Airways site with your booking reference #XXXXX" where XXXXX is your BA PNR
- go to BA.com and look at MMB for XXXXX, the frequent flyer number field will be blank but you can now add your BAEC number and also select seats for the BA operated flights.
stephenjc and dougzz like this.
Old May 22, 19, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Dont worry you will be fine.. its the same way every time I book tickets with AA/BA to BOM..
I make sure I have the email of the ticket purchase handy, because in BOM, you need to show the police at the airport your ticket info, before you enter the airport.
(love the fact that only passengers are admitted into the airport... maybe US airports should consider this too)
Old May 22, 19, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. All sorted after phoning BA although now on the BA app I have two different bookings but the BOS-MIA shows on both options???
Old May 22, 19, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... although now on the BA app I have two different bookings but the BOS-MIA shows on both options???
You really only have one booking, which is that which shows on the airline that you made it with, ie AA.

AA transmits information to BA that BA needs to know in order to carry you on the sectors which it is operating. BA creates an operating PNR to handle that information, which you can use to deal with BA as the operating airline. The operating PNR typically contains the operating airline's flight, one flight before and one flight after - this way the operating airline knows where you are coming from and where you are going to, in case it matters.

What's happened here is that BA has dealt with the information sent from AA by creating one operating PNR for your LHR-BOS BA215, and another operating PNR for your MIA-LHR BA206 (sold as AA6159). Each of these also contains the adjacent sector, as is typical.

BA can't see the real booking, because (as already explained) AA uses a different system which BA can't get direct access. So BA has to work with the information that AA sends.
stephenjc likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 1:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

There are actually two issues here. Firstly that the BA PNR you can find is incomplete and misses out the LHR-BOS flight. This is normal as noted above.

The AA master PNR needs to show everything, but as long as that is ok then it is fine. The BA PNR you have found is there only to cover the BA operated and AA marketed flight for MIA-LHR. As such only flights which connect to or from it are really relevant and therefore only the BOS-MIA is also shown.

So this is the other issue you have. You actually have two BA PNR, one which covers the BA operated & marketed LHR-BOS flight (you can't see that PNR yet) and another which covers the BA operated & AA marketed MIA-LHR flight which you can see. If you make a booking with AA and it contains AA operated & marketed, BA operated & AA marketed flights, and BA operated & marketed flights you should have:

- AA PNR issued on your ticket from AA - used to do seat selection for your AA operated & marketed flights
- BA PNR for seat selection on your BA operated & AA marketed flights (the one you can see)
- another BA PNR for seat selection on your BA operated & marketed flights (the one you haven't found yet

In terms of getting the hidden BA PNR you can either call as noted above by others, or use this method:
Hi,

I was in this situation, but the opposite happened, so basically booked on the AA website, with the first outbound flight operated and marketed as BA. After the booking, on the AA confirmation, the first leg of the trip was not there - never happened before in my life.

I called AA reservation and they too informed me that they do not see this first leg in the history or anywhere. I was first told to wait a couple of hours which I did, and it still did not appear when I checked the AA PNR. Therefore I called back again and AA still did not see it - what they advised me to do was to cancel the reservation (since it was not ticketed yet) which the agent did the cancellation for me.

I did the reservation again (same day) and this time the opposite happened, the booking went through and this time around, at the confirmation page, only the first leg (which was missing) was shown but all other segments was not shown (AA marketed flights) - although strangely in the baggage allowance info, I was shown correctly the whole trip. Going back to check on aa.com the 2nd booking, I was susprised that again the BA leg was not showing, but all my AA flights showed as cancelled.
I called BA to ask them to check if I was on the flight, and they did find my reservation via this method (they could not use the AA PNR) and was given a BA PNR.

In the BA PNR, the BA operated flight showed OK, but as expected all other flights were cancelled.

Basically, in the end after calling AA (and BA) - both at first bouncing me back and forth - finally after getting a helpful agent at the elite desk - I was told there was a double booking, etc (system did not sync fast enough) and to wait 48 hours before making the same booking.
However after 48 hours, when checking the BA PNR, I still see my flights on BA there - I was told that the reservation would auto cancel after 48 hours if not ticketed.

Can anyone help/explain to me here since now I am afraid to do anything - before calling AA again? [BA would just not help at all here]

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Old May 24, 20, 2:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
(since it was not ticketed yet)
And therein lies the problem.

The Sabre / Amadeus sync requires ticketing for the Amadeus temporary PNR to be OKC, and separately there are batch jobs which remove duplicate and unnecessary ghost bookings. Separately Sabre has a hold facility which converts bookings to OKC on ticketing and removes the hold data line. I think you may be a deadly embrace, and you're not the first to have been in this place. What the agent should have said is "wait 48 hours for ticketing and then let's have a look", but unfortunately few AA agents know how the interface with Amadeus works. The alternative was to check via a suitable airline frequent flyer forum first...

What you best do now is either cancel the current booking, leave it a week, rebook again. Or switch to another flight so that the batch delete works out you're doing something different. Or just live with it for about a week - so long as your e-ticket has the correct information and you bring it to the airport, then the agents can bodge it there.

It's entirely normal for Sabre / Amadeus tickets to go out of sync for short and long periods, particularly over a holiday weekend in Europe and the USA, so best not to be too hasty here.
nldogbert likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 5:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And therein lies the problem.

What you best do now is either cancel the current booking, leave it a week, rebook again. Or switch to another flight so that the batch delete works out you're doing something different. Or just live with it for about a week - so long as your e-ticket has the correct information and you bring it to the airport, then the agents can bodge it there.
So you mean even if now AA has requested for it to be cancelled (but still viewable on BA PNR, but NOT on AA PNR), I should still wait a week before rebooking? (e-tix has not been issued and will never be issued). - actually I don't even know if those BA segments now will cancel out since AA could not see it in their system, but BA is able to see it.
Furthermore, waiting for a week is not an option as this is the current sale fare with expiry end of May - this is why I'm in somewhat a lost mode now...

Cheers!

ps: on the hindsight, I should have waited, but since on the original AA booking, those segments were missing I was afraid if I brought it up later, it will be repriced/not acknowledged. Again after so many years of having these type of combined JV fares, I've never had such an issue..
Old May 24, 20, 5:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Furthermore, waiting for a week is not an option as this is the current sale fare with expiry end of May - this is why I'm in somewhat a lost mode now...
Are you holding a non cancelled eticket with the correct details in the eticket? If so, relax. If not, wait until that arrives, then alter if necessary. Amadeus must have a different PNR to Sabre, it uses a different key system.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: