Wiki Posts
Search

Small changes that could make a difference

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Small changes that could make a difference

Currently at 30,000ft on MAN-HEL with AY (in flight wi-fi on an A319, 0.68 Mb/s for €6.95) and reflecting on a couple of things that BA could copy off their competitors that would be fairly cheap to implement and could make a big difference passenger experience:
  1. My AY digital boarding pass tells me what lounge I am entitled to use at MAN and HEL and where it is located. What a good idea when you are flying from an outstation and are not familiar with the airport!
  2. A few days before an LHR-ZRH flight on LX earlier this month, I got an email to say that "Due to operational reasons we regret to inform you that your seat reservation has changed. We have done our utmost to assign an adequate seat. By clicking on Manage your booking you have the possibility to view your new assigned seat". Now seat changes happen but if there is an equipment change and you lose that exit row seat it is pretty annoying to find out a few hours before departure - but if you are proactively told in advance you have the possibility of doing something about it. Note I have no status in M&M.
  3. The AY boarding passes also seem to show the correct information with regards to Priority Security (ie MAN: none, HEL, ARN, BMA, TLL all yes). In my recent experience BA doesn't show it on DUS, LBA or AMS (available at all three) and has only just started showing it on my NCL BP.
Without wanting to start another thread about cleaning aircraft, gold member greetings or amuse-bouches, are there any other small things that BA could copy off other competitors that could make that bit more of a difference?

(As a OW emerald, I also got offered a complementary drink from the AY BoB menu - which was quite nice)
mec72, HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Free tea, coffee and water for all; free soft drink for Elites.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The lounge information and location is (normally) showing in the App via Manage My Booking / flight line/Lounges.

Seat changes on BA are generally notified now, though if done at the last moment or you haven't set your privacy settings, you may not get the email.

Proactive seat change notification!

Your seat has changed - a new feature from BA?

The priority security is fair comment, but there is Flyertalk!
Old May 21, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Baggage claim information via the app? IE “Bags arriving Carousel 5”.

Arrival / departure info showing you where plane is coming from would be nice.

A CR chat tool via the app?

View all BA mailings / correspondence via the app?

On board, reintroduction of “club europe customers will find a washroom at the front of the cabin, all other customers are invited to use the washroom at the rear”.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AY is a separate airline to BA offering different services to other airlines.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
AY is a separate airline to BA offering different services to other airlines.
Pretty sure the Op knows this as they list it as copy from the competition to improve BA.
nancypants, :D!, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:39 pm

Had my first Finnair in economy yesterday, I’m sure my hour of WiFi was €7.90 from Heathrow, (talk about a London premium), but because it worked perfectly I didn’t mind, as it made the flight productive from a work perspective.

Agreed that the tea/coffee/water/juice for all made it feel like a proper airline.

I wasn’t overly impressed by the app, not brilliantly laid out and we had a gate change for the connecting flight in HEL, which resulted in a jog from where I had positioned myself to the new gate, the BA app would have told me about with the now boarding push notification.

Old May 22, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Priority luggage tags honoured !

A recent trip saw me on EK, QF, VA, CI, BA.

On all but one, priority luggage was first on the carousel.

On one, my luggage was almost last (with QF First & OneWorld priority tag); no guesses for the carrier...

it irks me to be first off the aircraft but last out of the baggage hall.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Although it doesn't always work perfectly, I like that the American Airlines app will tell you which gate you're headed to and - very helpfully - where the inbound aircraft is coming from and whether it is on time. With BA, I have to check FlightRadar to get a sense of whether a departure is likely to be on time, especially at out-stations.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:55 am

I also mentioned this on another thread, and I accept it may be more complicated for BA especially in non-EEA short-haul locations (with different customs & duty rules)...but pre-departure drink on American in First is a really nice thing and a proper incentive to board early (and then relax...much more restful to sit through boarding with a decent G&T in hand...)
Old May 22, 2019, 4:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ratypus
I also mentioned this on another thread, and I accept it may be more complicated for BA especially in non-EEA short-haul locations (with different customs & duty rules)...but pre-departure drink on American in First is a really nice thing and a proper incentive to board early (and then relax...much more restful to sit through boarding with a decent G&T in hand...)
My Dear, I nearly burst out laughing. There are pages of PDBs not being done over at AA. I basically boils down to whether the Flight Attendants can be bothered. As often as not they are can't. You have the Lounges, they don't. I agree that it would be lovely to have glasses as people clomp past you with their bags and baggage particularly those unspeakable back packs designed to hit everyone in the face.

Improvement that I would make at little cost.

1) Throw those useless HighLife magazines at which no one who has graduated to solid food would even glance. Think of how much fuel is wasted dragging those around the skies.

2) Free soft drinks to all which was the downfall of BonB - people can manage without eating unless they are FTers where they appear to do little else - everyone wants something to drink. Actually with the ditching of the High Lifes you could probably bring back spirits again as well.

3) Tear out those interminable, unfunny, and to foreigners incomprehensible Luvvie parade of soi-disant National Treasures that calls itself the safety video.

4) Foreign Language speaking is a disgrace at BA and should be addressed as a matter of urgency

5) Sort out baggage handling in general and Premium Baggage handling in particular - last night at ALC it took at least 30 minutes last night, Iberia care less.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:04 am

I've almost always had PDB on AA - maybe I'm just lucky
rossmacd, T8191, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:06 am

I love AA's baggage tracing via the app. I had a pretty tight connection in the US and was impressed to see that my bag had made it before I boarded.
ratypus and T8191 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
1) Throw those useless HighLife magazines at which no one who has graduated to solid food would even glance. Think of how much fuel is wasted dragging those around the skies.
unles, of course, the advertising revenue offsets the fuel burn.

4) Foreign Language speaking is a disgrace at BA and should be addressed as a matter of urgency
I recall from the distant past CC wearing assorted National Flags on their uniforms [in some cases, several at once] to reveal a degree of ability in that language.

5) Sort out baggage handling in general and Premium Baggage handling in particular
And so say all of us, but I suspect that would require some complex ground-handling arrangements with associated handling agent costs.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Can we at least keep the BA system map? Seems to be the only portion I read.

My only addition is:
  1. Free soft-drinks for all
nancypants, Mordac and mikeyfly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.