Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inadequate F Catering Levels

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ginger50
It seems to me that this would explain why some pax bring their own meals into first!
Say what you like about McDonalds... you rarely hear about customers not getting their first choice!
T8191, truncated and Peter_S like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
And what happens when everyone in F starts ordering the 'F only' mains given they are more attractive/individually plated and have had a higher budget spent on them? You now have even less of these to go around! I love the idea that the problem here is BA are spending too much on F passenger meals and should offer cheaper meals from CW instead.
The F-only items are the less generally popular. But, the simple answer to your question is that if everyone chooses what generally does not happen, there won't be enough.

The only way to protect against that is to cater all items to capacity. There may be carriers which will do this because they have a different philosophy about F service and customers willing to pay that, but that is not BA and I suspect that the demand for seats at the fares the super-luxury brand would demand is not there.

The only way a BA F product survives at a time when many other carriers are dropping the F product is by selling upgrades, discounts and the like.

Last edited by Often1; May 22, 2019 at 11:46 am
Old May 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
What we need is slight higher percentages on full flights and 50% more on low to half full ones.
You are more qualified to know than most on here, so I reckon you're likely to be right. However, you can bet that wherever the line was drawn over loading percentages, there would be people who would complain that it wasn't high enough.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Of course the same happened on the return. LPGS ran out one hour into the flight as the crew on the outbound had 'used too much' and there wasn't enough catering once again!

The cabin crew logged this with Customer Relations on their iPad but I have been told by Customer Relations that food and drink isn't included in the price of the ticket, it's just a complimentary service that BA offers their passengers.

Seriously? To be fair to the agent, it feels like it was a statement rather than her actually believing that was the case.

Not sure on the legal position? Eventually a gesture of Avios was offered but what a fight!
Old May 28, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by tom139
Of course the same happened on the return. LPGS ran out one hour into the flight as the crew on the outbound had 'used too much' and there wasn't enough catering once again!

The cabin crew logged this with Customer Relations on their iPad but I have been told by Customer Relations that food and drink isn't included in the price of the ticket, it's just a complimentary service that BA offers their passengers.

Seriously? To be fair to the agent, it feels like it was a statement rather than her actually believing that was the case.

Not sure on the legal position? Eventually a gesture of Avios was offered but what a fight!
Food and drink is most certainly not a complimentary service. It is a very clearly marketed part of the service you buy when you book with a company and the class you travel in.
It may be considered as an included service for which there is no charge, unless in ET, but complimentary it is not.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

IIRC, this was the mantra used for pax who had booked ET (on the basis that f&b would be included, before the published introduction of BoB) ...... only to then discover that they were required to pay for it separately.

I can’t recall examples of the same line being trotted out to customers in First before ...... but I could well be wrong.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: GGL/CCR

It should be 6,500 avios or 10,000 if pushed onboard. More can be given by Customer Relations depending how hard you want to fight
Old May 28, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can give you an example in the other direction from just yesterday. On my KIX-LHR, a long day time flight where the Club Kitchen normally comes under stress, the Kitchen supplies were so generous they couldn't put all the items out, and the crew were left making walk-throughs down the aisles every 30 minutes with the basket, trying to offload all the sandwiches, biscuits and noodles. After a while this was upped to every 20 minutes, pour encourager les autres. Most of the travellers in CW were Japanese and I suspect not regular BA passengers, and were left somewhat baffled by the huge quantity of food being rained down on them.
JAL and ANA both have very good long haul menus in J which are tasty and of ample supply. I never had one time in the last 10 years not getting my first choice. Snack choices were updated each season if not every month.
Surely many Japanese travellers are familiar with these two airlines.
It’s a general BA specific problem. Just admit and see how OP could get it compensated.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Agreed. There has to be a happy medium however where the catering doesn't feel inadequate OR overly wasteful. Other airlines manage this. What BA currently do doesn't resemble this - it's just (another) a cost cutting measure that chisels away at the overall experience.
Why not simply take a more proactive approach in getting people’s choices before catering is loaded? This could be by giving the options offered at check-in, bag drop off at the airport, entry to lounge or app notification? With a cut-off time of x mins before the flight to give sufficient time to load. Whilst flight logistics might need a bit of an adjustment, I think this is a win-win all round. Reduced waste for the airline and greater choice of the pax, allowing them to choose on the day according to how they feel.
jp-mco likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by gliderpilot

Why not simply take a more proactive approach in getting people’s choices before catering is loaded? This could be by giving the options offered at check-in, bag drop off at the airport, entry to lounge or app notification? With a cut-off time of x mins before the flight to give sufficient time to load. Whilst flight logistics might need a bit of an adjustment, I think this is a win-win all round. Reduced waste for the airline and greater choice of the pax, allowing them to choose on the day according to how they feel.
There's nothing there I disagree with. I won't hold my breath though.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Why not simply take a more proactive approach in getting people’s choices before catering is loaded?
BA's stone age IT can't cope with this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
P
Originally Posted by Often1

The only way a BA F product survives at a time when many other carriers are dropping the F product is by selling upgrades, discounts and the like.
Agree- way off the competition. It’s become,as you describe. I would only ever do a revenue BA booking in CW now for a flat bed to sleep , upgrade me to F sure for the space, never pay for it though.

also and I don’t really subscribe to the BA WW//MF debate here. Gotta say I’ve had good and bad from both in all cabins which adds / subtracts from the premium experience.

I e just done this month (yes I do travel BA) 2x returns to Mid East on BA . MF on 3/4 flights have been poor, self entertaining and upgrading mates, Food cold/ badly presented, unanswered calls for service, unobtainable manager and when said manager became “free” uninterested. (Yes upon the last leg I formally complained - first time ever!)
On my WW crew flight DXB -LHR had amazing interaction, food presented/served well, good understated interaction, and a rested arrival into LHR
Seems to me ( imho) based on my recent and long experience (cica colin marshall era and beyond) BA now has systemic food/service continuity issues

Last edited by Telecasterman; May 29, 2019 at 12:25 am
Old May 28, 2019, 1:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I don't disagree with this at all. As a rare traveller in F I would happily pre-order (and do ex LON) . If I was a regular I might expect that as an F pax I could order off the menu and get what I asked for without having to take time out of my day to pre-order or stop me from changing my mind as to what I fancied when it came down to ordering. Other airlines seem to manage this (yes I know at a premium price). I have rarely been denied my choice of chicken or beef in Y. My impression is that most F pax don't read FT so would be pretty disappointed with BAs F offering on the catering front, sending the product on an ever downward spiral.
I'm sure Yoda would agree. Do F or don't do F, there is no try.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Say what you like about McDonalds... you rarely hear about customers not getting their first choice!
KFC on the other hand only had one essential ingredient and ran out of it!
jp-mco likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.