Inadequate F Catering Levels

Old May 21, 2019, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Inadequate F Catering Levels

Recently flew ex-LHR on a 789 where 5/8 seats were occupied in First. All passengers had luckily pre ordered main courses. However, there was a completely illogical loading of starters and desserts. The crew proactively apologised and said 4 of one type had been loaded and one of each for the others. Ditto with dessert and not enough cheese for all passengers. Again, the same scenario with breakfast.

Is this normal? I thought everything would have had at least two of every choice? It was a bit embarrassing bartering around the cabin who could have what! Everybody found it quite light hearted but seriously what a joke in F!

There wasnt any shortage in booze, however! It made me think does the drink level get adjusted with flight load too or is it standard?
Old May 21, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
In my experience yes

My experience of the smaller F cabin is yes there is less choice. On a recent return to London where you cant pre-order I was last to be asked my my choice. It was presented as all I have left is.... hardly a first class experience. No apologies. No status recognition.
nancypants and wandering.wan like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by tom139
Recently flew ex-LHR on a 789 where 5/8 seats were occupied in First. All passengers had luckily pre ordered main courses. However, there was a completely illogical loading of starters and desserts. The crew proactively apologised and said 4 of one type had been loaded and one of each for the others. Ditto with dessert and not enough cheese for all passengers. Again, the same scenario with breakfast.

Is this normal? I thought everything would have had at least two of every choice? It was a bit embarrassing bartering around the cabin who could have what! Everybody found it quite light hearted but seriously what a joke in F!

There wasnt any shortage in booze, however! It made me think does the drink level get adjusted with flight load too or is it standard?
Both should be standard as booze is round tripped. Usually 7/8 bottles of LPGS
Old May 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by leftorupstairs
My experience of the smaller F cabin is yes there is less choice. On a recent return to London where you cant pre-order I was last to be asked my my choice. It was presented as all I have left is.... hardly a first class experience. No apologies. No status recognition.
I thought food orders were (discretely) prioritized for GGL PAX?
Old May 21, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,,
I have seen a few posts here ( not sure if on a 789 or not) that on one leg the cabin ran out of LGPS ( only 1 or 2 bottles) -not sure if it was a catering snafu or the outbound pax drank most of it.

Regards

TBS
Old May 21, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Curious that these catering "snafus" always seem to go in BA's favor. I wonder if there are examples of it going the other direction, say, 14/16 bottles of LPGS loaded instead of the usual 7/8? Somehow I doubt it...
Old May 21, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Will probably require CIHY's knowledge - but I doubt very much there's 7/8 bottles of LPGS on the 789 smaller 8 cabin.. I'd say 4 tops return loaded from regular flights
george77300 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Will probably require CIHY's knowledge - but I doubt very much there's 7/8 bottles of LPGS on the 789 smaller 8 cabin.. I'd say 4 tops return loaded from regular flights
There is at least 7. Always. Unless catering don't load it correctly.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
(Deleted - Teledude beat me to it!)
Old May 21, 2019, 7:25 am

I do wonder what happens when catering is short.

Do BA get a refund?

Its strange that such regular poor service is ok.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teledude
There is at least 7. Always. Unless catering don't load it correctly.
Inc 789 F and with the additional English fizz ? I am sure it's lower
Old May 21, 2019, 7:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Curious that these catering "snafus" always seem to go in BA's favor. I wonder if there are examples of it going the other direction, say, 14/16 bottles of LPGS loaded instead of the usual 7/8? Somehow I doubt it...
I can give you an example in the other direction from just yesterday. On my KIX-LHR, a long day time flight where the Club Kitchen normally comes under stress, the Kitchen supplies were so generous they couldn't put all the items out, and the crew were left making walk-throughs down the aisles every 30 minutes with the basket, trying to offload all the sandwiches, biscuits and noodles. After a while this was upped to every 20 minutes, pour encourager les autres. Most of the travellers in CW were Japanese and I suspect not regular BA passengers, and were left somewhat baffled by the huge quantity of food being rained down on them.
Markie, Jimmie76, shefgab and 3 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Is it not just First but Club too? I was recently in CE with 5 passengers and the loading was 4, 1 and 1.

I was in row 2 and Gold and had no choice, First World problems I know and I asked the CSM just to capture my feedback and she said I’d prefer if you asked on boarding what was being served and ask for one to be saved. I would feel very uncomfortable doing that because when boarding crews are busy and there could be other Golds or GGL on board. Appreciate you can’t have waste. I did say to the CSM it’s a First World Problem and that in row 8 of 8 going to GIB I got my first choice and she said with larger cabins more variety is loaded hence my question is on lightly loaded First cabins will Choice be restricted?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:07 am

To the OP, make sure you send in a complaint, whilst there's certainly no guarantee that BA will change their ways, it's very unlikely that they will if people don't complain about it. You might also earn yourself some avios in the process.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Dambus
I thought food orders were (discretely) prioritized for GGL PAX?
My understanding from cabin crew posts over the years is that the service standard is supposed to be, to take all orders from the F and J cabin. If there is then a shortfall in choice(s) when all orders are collated from the respective cabins, they are prioritised by status with the lowest ranking passenger in that cabin getting the "sorry, but we've run out of x, would you like y or z?". I have received suitable avios twice for that approach not being followed in F and prioritisation instead being done by seat row.
Dambus likes this.

Last edited by rjn21; May 21, 2019 at 8:31 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.