Lounge access with family

Old May 21, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Lounge access with family

Am guessing that as a Gold, travelling with my wife (soft landing all the way from Gold to Blue these days), 2 1/2 year old toddler and a newborn, that 'technically' I shouldn't be able to get us all in, but that a few nice words at the entrance has a reasonable chance of success....

Sound about right?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Am guessing that as a Gold, travelling with my wife (soft landing all the way from Gold to Blue these days), 2 1/2 year old toddler and a newborn, that 'technically' I shouldn't be able to get us all in, but that a few nice words at the entrance has a reasonable chance of success....

Sound about right?
Not really. Nothing technical about it; 2+ counts as a guest. Sorry to sound harsh, but if everyone tried this on the lounge would be even more crowded than it already is.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not really. Nothing technical about it; 2+ counts as a guest. Sorry to sound harsh, but if everyone tried this on the lounge would be even more crowded than it already is.
Doesn't sound harsh (I am WAY too thick skinned for all that) - I know what the rule is. I was merely asking how strictly it's applied where the "+1" is barely over the age where he needs his own seat...
Old May 21, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
It doesn't really matter what people on here say though does it, you are clearly going to ask at the lounge anyway, and everything depends on the person on the desk on the day. They either will, or will not, let you in. Hopefully the latter.
MSPeconomist and Pascoe like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:17 am

Doesn't sound harsh (I am WAY too thick skinned for all that) - I know what the rule is. I was merely asking how strictly it's applied where the "+1" is barely over the age where he needs his own seat...
Based on personal experience, I think you'll have more luck at T5 B lounge which is typically less busy. Be prepared for rejection though.

If flying through T3, go to Qantas lounge - they'll let you all in, according to their policy. Also better lounge than GC or GF IMO.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I doubt you would get through the First Wing into GF at Terminal 5. You would probably have more luck at Gatwick. In Terminal 3, the Qantas lounge sounds like the place to go - both because you would actually fall within the policy (they don't seem to count kids at all), and because it's probably the better suited lounge for small children anyway.

At out-stations - who knows; depends what mood the lounge agent is in, and how busy the lounge is.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Sound about right?
If you present two bp:s and then tell them you have children under two if asked you will probably be alright.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If you present two bp:s and then tell them you have children under two if asked you will probably be alright.
But they only have one infant under two - as would be apparent from the BPs.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Almost certainly you'll be waved through at the gold wing. You probably wouldn't get through with a 15 year old, but a 2 year old isn't exactly going to empty the champagne bar so they will tend to show discretion. Always did for me when I just had the one guest allowed.

Obviously should discretion not be shown, be nice about it.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Im not Gold. Ive turned up with too many kids, asked nicely, and been turned away. Once I got lucky and the whole family got in. Try your luck as long as your not going to be too embarrassed or offended when they say no.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi ,
OP, Which airport are we talking about please? LHR, LGW or other ? as i do not think it was mentioned,

Regards

TBS
Old May 21, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Almost certainly you'll be waved through at the gold wing. You probably wouldn't get through with a 15 year old, but a 2 year old isn't exactly going to empty the champagne bar so they will tend to show discretion. Always did for me when I just had the one guest allowed.

Obviously should discretion not be shown, be nice about it.
Agree with this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd say that BA lounge reps strictly apply it the vast majority of times, but there are times when a lounge rep may be more willing to let it go by than at other times. I've been at the lounges enough to see people try to come in with an additional young child as a guest (above the normal allowance) that I do at times offer to use my additional guest allowance to assist. The BA first lounges seem to be marginally more willing to let things slide than other BA lounges at LHR.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
As a data point the TXL lounge is friendly in regards to this. Outstations are usually more accommodating with family in terms of lounge access
Old May 22, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratypus
I doubt you would get through the First Wing into GF at Terminal 5. You would probably have more luck at Gatwick. In Terminal 3, the Qantas lounge sounds like the place to go - both because you would actually fall within the policy (they don't seem to count kids at all), and because it's probably the better suited lounge for small children anyway.

At out-stations - who knows; depends what mood the lounge agent is in, and how busy the lounge is.
It is, in fact, an ex LGW flight. I'll try my luck ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.