Wiki Posts
Search

Group Boarding and Guests

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Group Boarding and Guests

QQ - my partner and I normally travel on the same booking but for an upcoming trip we have separate bookings due to the fact I’m travelling for work - will he will be able to join me in Group 1 (his BP will be Group 2) ? I’m unsure on the guesting rules since group boarding was introduced.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
One guest should be no problem in my experience.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One guest is certainly OK, more information and examples are in the main thread.

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences
Old May 21, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Also my own experience is that if you join the bookings via TCP then your partner may well inherit Group 1 directly and it will appear on his BP.

(See post 774 onwards in the thread helpfully referenced by corporate-wage-slave)
Old May 21, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Chris9642 : depending on the route and the mood of the staff involved, your respective “Groups” may very well have no relevance, either to BA or yourselves ; as per my own flight last night, a return from CTA.

I arrived at the gate a minute or so after boarding had commenced, and as I approached the gate check agent, there was a clearly audible PA (from another staffer) saying “ ..... and we now invite any passengers in Group 2 only to board the aircraft”. Immediately in front of me was a (seemingly pleasant enough) couple who presented BP’s both showing Group 4. The agent smiled, said thank you, and wished the couple both a pleasant flight.

Though introduced with something of a fanfare, it’s been apparent for some time that BA staffers / contracted support have little motivation in making the ‘new system’ work - or certainly not with anything resembling consistency.

As an aside, CC on board were notably more efficient than ground staff.

Old May 21, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't think you'll have any real problem with this if it's just one guest and you're just polite about it (and be prepared to concede gracefully and without being a DYKWIA in the unlikely event the gate agent says anything...which they almost certainly won't)

I've done this many times with 1 or 2 guests
Old May 21, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have done this at least 50 times and I just say politely that 'the lady is travelling with me' and it was never a problem.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:03 am

I have always presented both BP's together and never had a problem
Old May 21, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given that in my experience they board 1-3 together it won't be a problem

(notice how no one wants to hang around even a couple of minutes (if that) to board in a lower group ...)
Old May 21, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
my wife before she was OW Emerald.. would always board with me in group 1.
I would just let the agent know that we are traveling together... never a problem
( you are assuming you can get past all the other passengers crowding the gate area)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.