Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 e-gates now open: Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ, Singapore, S Korea & USA citizens

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
According to the current EU rules, the UK may refuse EU citizens entry if they pose a threat to security.
Having met cws a few times I am reasonably confident he doesn't appear to pose a threat to national security
PAL62V, T8191 and nick.t.davies like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Some people's British passports only work intermittently in the gates. I wonder what would happen if the British passport didn't work and instead of SEEKing ASSISTANCE like it tells you to, you just try again with an NZ passport?

Until I recently renewed my Australian passport, I had this problem in Australia because my photo is 10 years old and about 5 years ago it stopped working in the Australian smartgates, unfortunately my British passport with a newer photo would not have worked in the gates because you need an e-visa, which you are not supposed to get as an Australian citizen although I know it has been done by some people.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by :D!
Some people's British passports only work intermittently in the gates. I wonder what would happen if the British passport didn't work and instead of SEEKing ASSISTANCE like it tells you to, you just try again with an NZ passport?

Until I recently renewed my Australian passport, I had this problem in Australia because my photo is 10 years old and about 5 years ago it stopped working in the Australian smartgates, unfortunately my British passport with a newer photo would not have worked in the gates because you need an e-visa, which you are not supposed to get as an Australian citizen although I know it has been done by some people.
My UK passport has just been rejected at two different e gates!! Worked last year at an e gate when I came back from LAX. Passport also worked at the self check in kiosk at T5 departures last week when I started my trip. I am glad you mentioned that some people's UK passports are intermittently accepted at the e gates. Was trying to figure out if I had damaged my passport during my week away.

Bri
Old May 23, 2019, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hanmer
My UK passport has just been rejected at two different e gates!! Worked last year at an e gate when I came back from LAX. Passport also worked at the self check in kiosk at T5 departures last week when I started my trip. I am glad you mentioned that some people's UK passports are intermittently accepted at the e gates. Was trying to figure out if I had damaged my passport during my week away
Border Force officers are supposed to inform UK passengers if their biometrics are damaged. But by all means ask them to check it next time.
hanmer likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by :D!

OT, but my British passport has failed to be read by e gate, an officer’s reader and sometimes at the Japanese border. I imagined this would be a faulty chip and called hmpo who wanted me to prove it. I did nothing. Then it starts to be recognised again.

Last edited by SKRan; May 23, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: New name
Old May 23, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I will get my new Aussie passport next week and will be on BA006 to LHR in July, so excited to know this! Just a small question, how long does it take normally to clear immigration and customs in LHR? Thanks in advance!
Old May 23, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by calv1225
I will get my new Aussie passport next week and will be on BA006 to LHR in July, so excited to know this! Just a small question, how long does it take normally to clear immigration and customs in LHR? Thanks in advance!
Without e-gates and without any access to the priority lane, non-UK,EU or EEA, around 30 mins in T5.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by calv1225
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Without e-gates and without any access to the priority lane, non-UK,EU or EEA, around 30 mins in T5.
And with e-gates, usually under a minute, often a low number of seconds. In the case of Australians arriving into T5 I'm particularly pleased this is happening, since at the time of arrival of the BA service into Sydney, and assuming one is off the aircraft quickly, usually I can get through the Australian e-gates immediately, so it's great to see it reciprocated at the UK end.

Just remember to place the photo page fully and firmly on the small glass screen with a little bit of pressure, and stare into the light box, ideally with a similar expression to the passport. At T5 you may need to chose an e-gate with someone in front of you, so just follow someone who looks competent, e.g. as they approach the e-gate they manipulate their fingers on their passports to get it ready for positioning, or who make opportunistic glances to e-gates up and down the rank.

For customs, unlike Australia, it's largely intelligence led so unless there is an unusual random check, you probably won't even notice it.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hanmer

My UK passport has just been rejected at two different e gates!! Worked last year at an e gate when I came back from LAX. Passport also worked at the self check in kiosk at T5 departures last week when I started my trip. I am glad you mentioned that some people's UK passports are intermittently accepted at the e gates. Was trying to figure out if I had damaged my passport during my week away.

Bri
My UK passport never works at the Heathrow gates yet works every time at Helsinki, so the biometrics still work, just not in the country of issue
Old May 24, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can try to alter the angle of your face slightly. I have this problem quite often because I have glasses on in my passport photo (not a UK passport) and some e-gates (Stansted are particularly bad) have bright lights that can make faces look different or, in my case, causes strong reflections on my glasses.

The trick is to move your face in a slight nutation - imagine facing forward and trying to move the point of your nose in a small circle without moving your shoulders, slowly (30-60 seconds for a full rotation). This can often give the camera a view with a lighting angle that makes you look the same as the biometrics and you're in.

(Nutation examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=nuta...&bih=892&dpr=2 )
Old May 24, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Phrantic
Went through it this morning on a Canadian passport. It went flawlessly and was through in 20 seconds. Well done.
So a lot faster than your return to Toronto and our idiotic 4 step process to get landside then
Phrantic likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:04 am

Is there a dedicated e-gate for pax in Club & First at the new T5 immigration e-gates?
Old May 25, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by roho
Is there a dedicated e-gate for pax in Club & First at the new T5 immigration e-gates?
The e-gates are not new, and there never have been dedicated e-gates for any category of passenger.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The e-gates are not new, and there never have been dedicated e-gates for any category of passenger.
And in the case of T5 it isn't necessary, there are enough gates for everyone to be through in seconds or a low number of minutes. T3 and LCY can get a bit more jammy, but there isn't a lot of space, and a 10 minute wait would be most unusual. LGW gets summer peak build ups, mostly it's fine but you can sometimes be queuing for 10 minutes or so.

[Strictly speaking there are dedicated e-gates for staff, assistance passengers and Concorde Team guests on the left in T5, not that they make any difference to the speed of immigration].
Old May 25, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Border Force officers are supposed to inform UK passengers if their biometrics are damaged. But by all means ask them to check it next time.
part of the problem is the flimsy nature of the picture page in the current U.K. passport which means it creases easily when being inserted into an e-gate reader, leading to a failure of the machine to read the details for consistency check against the chip data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.