Wiki Posts
Search

Pleasant surprise at LGW lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Pleasant surprise at LGW lounge

This was a welcome surprise at LGW last week. Travelling in Y with my wife, daughter and son in law and perfectly behaved 18 month grand daughter. One Gold, one Silver and two rising Blues. Just happy to share the business lounge with them when discreetly told we could all go into the FLounge. Didnt ask but what a nice touch. BA burgers all round!
Old May 20, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The Gatwick GF and GC lounges are fab and generally GF feels a lot less busy than it's LHR cousin. The staff all seem very nice too.
volar, mikeyfly, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
​​​​My surprise today was a bit different. I was flying from LGW with a friend and got to use the First Lounge for the first time as a recent Gold. My friend asked what the other lounge was like and how it differed so I offered to show him and we wandered around the Business lounge. with a glass of champagne each.

Halfway round our perambulation we were stopped by an attendant and asked if we could drink - or leave - our champagne back in the First Lounge as otherwise “people will see and ask for one”.

Duly chastened, we returned to the First Lounge...
David_Doyle and nancypants like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
But isn’t champers available available in the club lounge on an on request basis anyway?
Old May 20, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CoweyB
​​​​My surprise today was a bit different. I was flying from LGW with a friend and got to use the First Lounge for the first time as a recent Gold. My friend asked what the other lounge was like and how it differed so I offered to show him and we wandered around the Business lounge. with a glass of champagne each.

Halfway round our perambulation we were stopped by an attendant and asked if we could drink - or leave - our champagne back in the First Lounge as otherwise “people will see and ask for one”.

Strange when you can get champers in LGW Galleries too.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Champagne is available in LGW GC, but when I was in there last weekend it was Castelnau. GF offers two - Jeepers Rose and a better champagne (although I always steer towards the Jeepers).
Old May 20, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Strange when you can get champers in LGW Galleries too.
Well I thought that was the situation as well. I didn’t see if the self-pour bottles were there or not.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Well I thought that was the situation as well. I didn’t see if the self-pour bottles were there or not.
That's because it's on request. Unlike the F lounge where it is self pour.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Generally LGW leaves out the champagne bottles in GC from around lunchtime. There are different brands and different glasses, however I think the real reason is that the staff don't like people wandering between lounges picking and mixing, as it were. Or this incident was a tad early on in the day.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GGL

Most strange, as despite the ungodly hour there were people drinking champagne in the Club lounge this morning at 6 am... and it was being freely served as far as I could see. I always use the club lounge at LGW when I just want a coffee and toast; the toast is always hotter
Old May 20, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
The Gatwick GF and GC lounges are fab and generally GF feels a lot less busy than it's LHR cousin. The staff all seem very nice too.
Couldn't agree more. I've found myself switching my flights from LHR to LGW more and more because the atmosphere in GF is usually much more chill to work or have a few glasses of bubbles
Very friendly staff too usually.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business

Whilst the bubbles may be( see also: most definitely is) of a higher calibre in the FLounge I'm somewhat confused as to why staff in GC would do this as not only are bubbles available in the lounge, unlike at LHR people are treated like adults and can pour it themselves( not as civilised of course but my preference to waiting around and/ or being scowled at for having the audacity to ask). There is no reason for pax in GC to ask for one ergo no need for staff to worry about customers asking them for a glass.

The only time I have needed to ask about champagne in GC LGW was when the place has been particularly busy and current supply had been depleted to which I was asked where I was sat and was delivered an entire chilled bottle along with two flutes for myself and Mrs Clam.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's most certainly not at LGW and more the joy for it. Since the refurb it's always been left out for self pour with, from observation, constant stock levels aimed at 4-6 bottles at any given time.

@cws i'd scream blue bloody murder if they only started putting it out that late It's there from opening for free pouring. Of course i'm sure there have been occasions when the staff have been a bit slack on restocking or there's been an overall stock issue meaning it's kept hidden / on requests but i'm honestly yet to have to ask for it glass by glass although I have had to ask for it to be restocked once.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Oh I forgot to add. My18 month grand daughter was eating some of the pesto noodles. A member of staff said 'I've got one that age, would you like some in a pot to take on the plane or the chef can make some plain noodles?'. Now that is service to be commended. Shame the Golden ticket thing couldn't have been deployed!
stephenjc likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

Not sure about a golden ticket but you could send a `well done' comment via the website

Regards

Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.