Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CW bed linen wrapped in plastic - why?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As a generalisation, is this right? I thought that the number of supermarket plastic bags being used had decreased by something in the order of 90% since the introduction of the compulsory charge?
Yes the total number of bags has decreased, but as bags for life use something like 2-4x as much plastic as single use bags and large numbers are still used just once and then binned, the actual decrease in plastic used is much less than the 90% probably being claimed by whoever came up with the idea of banning single use bags.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:21 am

As I understand it, a major driver of the "war on plastic" is the amount that ends up in the sea, whether by direct dumping, dumping in watercourses such as rivers, or by erosion of coastal landfill sites. Disposition of plastics material by incineration releases carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds into the atmosphere, so from that perspective disposal in landfill is more environmental friendly than incineration.

The long term solution to environmental degradation is not the production of fewer plastic products, but the production of fewer people.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bisonrav
OK, well I don't have my face and mouth in close contact with the "seat used by others", so I'm not sure how that's relevant.
The pillow doesn't come sealed in plastic.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by mario
The pillow doesn't come sealed in plastic.
The pillow is disposable.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
The pillow is disposable.
Have you flown CW? I just came off a flight. It's definitely not not disposable, it has the BA logo embroidered in it.

There are no disposable pillows in CW.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No more disposable than the blankets, the pillows do come onboard wrapped.
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No more disposable than the blankets, the pillows do come onboard wrapped.
At least on my last four flights the pillow was placed on the seat unwrapped.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:07 pm

I love it how everyone is so caught up with the plastic vs. no plastic discussion and has failed to notice that each The White Company bedding package comes with a little plastic tamper proof tag attached to the zipper, if my memory serves me correctly. The same kind that is used to also secure the amenity kit zipper (which doesn't come wrapped in plastic). So theoretically there would be no need to wrap everything in plastic and we would still be able to sleep soundly on our non-direct-aisle-access-flat-bed-with-insufficient-storage-space-and-flimsy-footstool-and-tray-table-with-non-HD-TV-screen-that-non-elites-have-to-pay-for-to-pre-assign (any more complaints people?) knowing that no other soul has touched the bedding since the last laundry cycle. Now, for those who still object (that would include me) because the inner lining of that bedding package might be dirty, BA could always wrap the 3 items in paper (the kind used in luxury stores to fill shopping bags and recycled, of course) to provide just that extra layer of separation.

If you want a discussion on hygiene, I actually think the headphone situation on BA needs a review...there is no disposable earpiece cover in the amenity kit that many airlines (like AF, LH) provide. Does BA clean the headphones after each flight? I was told that they work with a charity and have handicapped people clean the headphones, although I find that a little hard to believe. Any more info would be appreciated.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario
At least on my last four flights the pillow was placed on the seat unwrapped.
The First ones the crew unwrap, the CW the cleaners.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
I love it how everyone is so caught up with the plastic vs. no plastic discussion and has failed to notice that each The White Company bedding package comes with a little plastic tamper proof tag attached to the zipper, if my memory serves me correctly. The same kind that is used to also secure the amenity kit zipper (which doesn't come wrapped in plastic). So theoretically there would be no need to wrap everything in plastic and we would still be able to sleep soundly on our non-direct-aisle-access-flat-bed-with-insufficient-storage-space-and-flimsy-footstool-and-tray-table-with-non-HD-TV-screen-that-non-elites-have-to-pay-for-to-pre-assign (any more complaints people?) knowing that no other soul has touched the bedding since the last laundry cycle. Now, for those who still object (that would include me) because the inner lining of that bedding package might be dirty, BA could always wrap the 3 items in paper (the kind used in luxury stores to fill shopping bags and recycled, of course) to provide just that extra layer of separation.

If you want a discussion on hygiene, I actually think the headphone situation on BA needs a review...there is no disposable earpiece cover in the amenity kit that many airlines (like AF, LH) provide. Does BA clean the headphones after each flight? I was told that they work with a charity and have handicapped people clean the headphones, although I find that a little hard to believe. Any more info would be appreciated.
Other than the earbuds in WT all the headsets are cleaned after every flight.
We are looking at other ways of wrapping them other than in plastic.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I don't think I've ever had a plastic wrapped pillow in BA CW. And pretty sure they are non-disposable. The new CW pillows are pretty nice - that would be an enormous waste to throw them away.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Other than the earbuds in WT all the headsets are cleaned after every flight.
We are looking at other ways of wrapping them other than in plastic.
thanks for the reassurance. What is the cleaning process?
1) for the headband (alcohol to disinfect? and what about the grease from people's scalps?)
2) the part that goes over the ears (disinfection/degreasing of the padded outer ring? and what about the inner part where the audio comes out of? that is the perfect place for dead skin/wax to get trapped and accumulate, as the material lining is very porous)
Old May 20, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I haven't flown club world for over a year, and not I think with the new service at all, I've either flown W or F or with different airlines. My probably faulty recollection of BA CW bedding the times I've used it was that there wasn't much - a blanket and a small disposal pillow. But as mentioned, pillows will still come onto the plane in plastic packaging. You just don't see them being unwrapped.

But this is still a non-issue. Plastic is an efficient, cheap and lightweight hygienic barrier. I'm sure BA are looking at different forms of packaging, as most corporations are, on balance there is nothing wrong with plastic as a material, it has pros and cons like most things. The amenity bags are full of plastic. The aircraft themselves are substantially composed of plastic or composites these days. And they burn thousands of gallons of fossil fuel. So if you worry about a single use plastic bag, what you are doing in an aeroplane in the first place is anyone's guess.

The original premise of the thread is "oh wow, a plastic bag, isn't that terrible for the planet, BA should ban it". And that's a total non-sequitur. Most materials have environmental downsides to some degree, that doesn't mean we have to put any of them beyond the pale.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea sorry but I’m sure they are hygienically cleaned, I think that the ear pads are new for each customer.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pillows are not normally new but are replaced at regular intervals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.