Newly earned companion voucher

Old May 19, 19, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Newly earned companion voucher

Hi ive just earned this years companion voucher.
can anyone advise where i should try use it to get best value from it.
this years ive used to fly glasgow to st lucia premium economy that includes lounge access both ways with buisness class flights internally to london return. These flights cost about £1000 i. Guessing they would have been double that booking normally. Any advice greatly appreciated
Old May 19, 19, 11:52 am

You need to be more specific as to likes and dislikes.

Otherwise, the best value is to go somewhere you want to visit - that also has availability on the days you want to fly - and assuming you have enough miles.
Old May 19, 19, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 View Post

Otherwise, the best value is to go somewhere you want to visit - that also has availability on the days you want to fly - and assuming you have enough miles.
i will have enough avios for another premium economy flight. my question was just to see if certain areas of the world get better flight deals using companion voucher. We are open to flying anywhere to be honest but i would like to do vietnam from north to south
Old May 19, 19, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 View Post

im just hoping someone can share their experiences of what they paid to certain destinations using one
Old May 19, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Garyrobertson View Post
im just hoping someone can share their experiences of what they paid to certain destinations using one
there’s not much experience to it really. You pay the amount of Avios needed + the (very high) cattier surchage and various taxes. Each route costs the same in surcharge and tax no matter when you fly, but the Avios required will differ depending on whether you travel within the peak period or not.

Generally, the voucher has the highest value when you redeem it for business or first class. When redeeming for premium economy you can often buy the tickets for roughly the same cash price if you include the value of your Avios.
Old May 19, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
In my opinion, the best use of a 2-4-1 voucher is First Class on a flight lasting 10+ hours. For me, that is getting the value for the voucher, Avios and cash charges paid.

I used my last 2-4-1 voucher to/from Tokyo in First and for the pair of us, it cost approx. 204k Avios & £1,100 in cash charges.
JamieG likes this.
Old May 19, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
In my opinion, the best use of a 2-4-1 voucher is First Class on a flight lasting 10+ hours. For me, that is getting the value for the voucher, Avios and cash charges paid.

I used my last 2-4-1 voucher to/from Tokyo in First and for the pair of us, it cost approx. 204k Avios & £1,100 in cash charges.
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler View Post

there’s not much experience to it really. You pay the amount of Avios needed + the (very high) cattier surchage and various taxes. Each route costs the same in surcharge and tax no matter when you fly, but the Avios required will differ depending on whether you travel within the peak period or not.

Generally, the voucher has the highest value when you redeem it for business or first class. When redeeming for premium economy you can often buy the tickets for roughly the same cash price if you include the value of your Avios.
maybe i need to miss a year out then to get enough avios as i will only have about 80k. How can you accumulate over 200k avios that is scary
Old May 19, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think it comes down to the fact that the more you do with it, the more 'value' it has - especially if it's something you wouldn't otherwise afford. For me, that meant First to New York and Club to Tokyo for a week's skiing - both of which would have been prohibitive for two of us otherwise in either Avios or cash.

If all you're doing is saving a relatively minor amount in cash for something you could afford anyway (and perhaps not actually really saving anything at all - see @Scandinavian Traveller's comment about premium economy), then you're probably wasting its potential and should save points and voucher until you can do more (bearing in mind it does expire, though).

It also comes down to what you're used to. Many here would say First is a waste for a short flight like LHR-JFK, but the relatively short distance also meant it was affordable for me in Avios terms and was a first (so to speak) for us, so it was worth it and a lot of fun. Someone else who (say) does that trip several times a year in First for work would say it's a waste of a voucher just to do it again with a partner for 6 hours. So it's all relative.
Old May 19, 19, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
How can you accumulate over 200k avios that is scary
If you're a higher-tier member because you do quite a bit of flying, Avios are quite easy to accumulate.

For example, a routine trip for me is AMS-LON-HKG round-trip in Club. As a Gold, the short-hauls earn 1,750 Avios and the long-hauls earn 14,948 Avios. So the trip total is 33,396 Avios. I'd need to do five of these each year to renew Gold, so if I just scrape renewal on that basis that would be 166,980 Avios from these trips each year. From the point of view of using a companion voucher, if my companion were to fly exactly the same amount, then between us we'd earn 333,960 Avios every year from these trips that we could use towards 2--4-1 trips.

Of course, I'm only doing leisure flying. The real frequent flyers here, most of whom are doing it for work, do vastly more than that much flying every year.
Old May 20, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
How can you accumulate over 200k avios that is scary
Mainly from flying but also:
- BA Premium Amex credit card
- Tesco
- BA shopping portal https://www.shopping.ba.com/

Lots of other ways too: https://www.headforpoints.com/the-be...-avios-points/
T8191 likes this.
Old May 20, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
this years ive used to fly glasgow to st lucia premium economy that includes lounge access both ways with buisness class flights internally to london return.
Unfortunately, Premium Economy flights no longer include a business class domestic leg. I think this changed with the introduction of Club Europe a few years ago, so you'd not get lounge access.

All the more reason to save up for an outright business class ticket I suppose!
Old May 20, 19, 12:19 am
Suspended

I only once used voucher for club Europe...why because I don't see to see it when is very hard to get 2 first class seats and I cannot plan 6m+....
Old May 20, 19, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
i will have enough avios for another premium economy flight. my question was just to see if certain areas of the world get better flight deals using companion voucher. We are open to flying anywhere to be honest but i would like to do vietnam from north to south
The companion voucher is only valid on direct BA flights, and as BA don't fly directly to Vietnam this wouldn't be possible. You could use the voucher to fly elsewhere (BKK, HKG, SIN, KUL) and get separate flights to Vietnam from there, but beware that they would not be on the same booking so connections would not be protected. We used our first voucher to fly First to KUL, and then booked separately to Borneo/Perhentians, allowing a night in KUL each way in case of IRROPS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: