Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Lounge Access

I know the 'rules' of lounge access (probably not as well as most of the folk on here), but this is more trying to get a feel for what people do in reality, rather than a discussion about the specifics of the terms and conditions of lounge access.

I'm BA Gold, but not GGL. Most of the time I travel on my own, or with my wife, so lounge access questions are never an issue.

In July this year we will include my daughter on a trip with us (She's 19) and so the three of us won't all be able to get access at the same time. (This is flying from Gatwick) (Most of the time we've done family trips we've flown with the likes of TUI, so it's not something that has arisen before.

I was thinking about taking her into the first lounge, just so she could say she's been in it, but was then thinking might as well use one of the 'pay per visit' lounges so we could all be together, I don't want to leave someone outside or play 'swaps'.

As mentioned, just trying to see what other folk travelling in similar circumstances do, not trying to 'buck the system'
Old May 19, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by stuvoi
In July this year we will include my daughter on a trip with us (She's 19) and so the three of us won't all be able to get access at the same time.
In recent years rules have been relaxed durring School Holidays to allow additional guests into the Business lounge at LGW. If your going to be there in the second half of July you could be ok.
stuvoi likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There is some flexibility but I wouldn't count on it. But at LGW, without free access, I'd simply go to the Grain Store which is very pleasant, good value, and I think available on Premier Pass (for a specific spend). The pay lounges are bucket and spade central, and not good value in my limited experience.
stuvoi likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
In recent years rules have been relaxed durring School Holidays to allow additional guests into the Business lounge at LGW. If your going to be there in the second half of July you could be ok.
It's the end of July, yes. I can always ask, and if no joy, can try one of the others...
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
If you're flying short-haul, you could look at upgrading either the wife or daughter to Club Europe, so that they get lounge access in their own right and you can guest the other one in to the J lounge. Depending on where you're going, the cost might be comparable to paying for 3 of you to enter one of the pay lounges (and you'll probably have a much better experience in the BA lounge, plus one of them gets a treat on the plane).

Edit: you could of course do this on long-haul too, but the upgrade cost would probably be prohibitive!
Old May 19, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I travel as a ba silver with wife and 17yo stepson in tow. We just rotate based on time of day. My wife is petite and doesn't eat much, my stepson can eat a cow. So when it is morning I take him in to use the buffet while my wife reads a book and drinks a coffee. When it's evening she joins me for a couple of wines and he happily sits at a burger bar and watches videos on YouTube.
Mirp and InsomniaBA like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
LGW is my home airport. They don't make a habit of it but from personal experience/ witnessing/ they are more flexible / amenable at LGW than LHR. I was graciously allowed in the F lounge simply to get some photos and footage ( in and out within 5 mins then was found back in club and invited to just go back and make use of the F lounge fully) If it's SH ( although im struggling to think of SH F from LGW tbh) then a cheeky avios upgrade or even a cash one for the daughter might be the way to go just so you know

Clubrooms ( which are pretty new and sort of the paid for version of a 1st lounge, ie you get bubbles) retail at Ł38.00 in advance / Ł50.00 on the day so times three might be a factor against upgrade costs. There are of course cheaper lounges available.

Whilst trying to remain within site rules regarding such things and totally unrelated to anything above I have several flights out of there in July and would be happy to make the acquaintance of yourself, good lady and daughter. I have Silver status and who knows what could happen if you were to PM your travel date ( i'm afraid it would mean slumming it in club however many ppl honestly tend to prefer the Club to F lounge at LGW).

All ideas and feedback aside if over your guesting quote it's in the hands of the gods as we all know the actual rules as you said yourself
Old May 20, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
IIRC BA sent personal emails to Golds on certain flights allowing them extra guests it wasn’t a general offer as it depended on the time of day of the flight and how many people they already expected in the lounge. so busy morning then no extra guest invite but quieter afternoon period it was offered.

BTW people reported on here that some pax got tha invite but others on the same flight didn’t.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
can't somebody guest in either your wife or daughter?
Old May 20, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
That reminds me when I was at school asking someone to sign me in as a guest at the local Students Union

I guess that could be an option, I did have someone on here say they could do it, date and time depending, I don't really want to be asking people in the queue, even though some would probably be fine with it

For reference, I am flying long-haul westbound, so the option to upgrade to Business someone else mentioned is unlikely, if I do upgrade, it will be inbound for the bed on the way back.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by stuvoi
That reminds me when I was at school asking someone to sign me in as a guest at the local Students Union

I guess that could be an option, I did have someone on here say they could do it, date and time depending, I don't really want to be asking people in the queue, even though some would probably be fine with it

For reference, I am flying long-haul westbound, so the option to upgrade to Business someone else mentioned is unlikely, if I do upgrade, it will be inbound for the bed on the way back.
I totally understand. On the CX forum there is a lounge meet up thread, where people can request to be guested or offer to guest.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA
No harm in asking the person at the desk, especially if it's looking quiet. I have known extra people to be allowed in on slow periods. As suggested perhaps asking a single passenger as they walk-in. I often guest in a traveller when i am flying solo as i have had it done for me in the past and I appreciate it greatly so it's only good karma to return the favour when i am in the fortunate position to be flying first or business.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I totally understand. On the CX forum there is a lounge meet up thread, where people can request to be guested or offer to guest.
There is a meet up thread on this board as well. But it is not for asking other people to guest people in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.