Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In First - Meal given to another passenger

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would certainly put in a written complaint and ask for more compensation - I got 10,000 avios for complaining about the poor quality of the catering on an F flight from CPT - but at least I got some food, so you should certainly be expecting more than that, especially given your lack of lounge provision in the US.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I am still chuckling at the thought of passenger 3K sat there half way through a film or something and crew arrives with tablecloth “I’m here to set your table Mr 2K.” “Umm...ok”!
Wonder what the film was?

“Yes, I *am* Mr Tripplehorn”

IAMORGAN and wrp96 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by danielonn
Ask for another flight in F and for reimbursement of the flight as you did not get the meal which is a big part of the flight...
Does the business you work for give compensation for twice the value of the service paid, plus allow the the customer to keep the service if 5-15% of the service was faulty but the remainder (and majority) was functional/useful?

Compensation is due, of course. But 2.85 pieces of cake for the price of none? No.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The mistake was a relatively minor one, albeit one that had an impact on the OP's enjoyment of the flight. At the point the mistake is discovered it seems to me that the situation should be relatively easy to salvage, but it does not sound to me as though the crew handled the next bit very well. It's not clear what alternatives were offered, although clearly they did make some effort to accommodate the OP, but due to allergy the alternative was not feasible. The OP might need to expand on that in more detail. I would have have expected them to make every effort to cobble together something, including looking at CW meals etc., offering dessert, cheese etc. To be fair, most BA crews I've come across seem pretty good at such improvisation.

What's definitely not good is telling the other passenger. Very poor and unprofessional.

And of course the state of the cabin adds to the poor impression.

It just seems to me that this could have been de-escalated to the point of very much being a non-story, but instead the OP is left feeling very disappointed, which is a shame. Complaints about BA F are quite frequent. I think the main problem is not that is is a terrible product, but simply that too often the expectations are greater than what BA seemingly is able to or willing to deliver.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does anything here have to do with some older disgruntled lady? Are you suggesting that a young man would be happy to have his specially ordered meal given to another passenger?
I was quoting or at least supposed to be quoting a comment by Hiddy.

The older lady comment, is in reference to the first flights which was full of older wealthy people without credit cards. So no doubt without the stress of Lloyds bank but with lots of money in their accounts.

I wasnt around when the first flights were in action, from the pics I have seen its mostly older people. I suspect not just the cost, but the lack of credit. Again Lloyds bank..

I believe, I have only just come on and read the last few comment. I recall the comment was about people causing a fuss I felt that ladies who lunch certainly make sure, through comments, that they arent happy.

I know all too well, the price all too well of flying the privilege of BA first to the East coast of the US, well my bank does.

I wasnt saying that anyone shoudnt be disgruntled, even further by air plane food. As much as its easy to do so. That wasnt, the aim of the comment. In some ways the thread was a past event which no one will ever change the events that unfolded.

I do tend just to go for the cheese and biscuits. But each to their own, on a flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by London21
Doesn’t surprise me.

Generally the ability of BA crew is terrible. Mix the usually laziness they display with lack of ability and this is what you get.

in this case it’s a issue of laziness not to check the order and then the lack of IQ to fix it
That's generalising across a vast number of people and very unfair as a result. I've had excellent crew in F through to Y and the odd less than stellar flight.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by HMPS
OP, I always have a special AVML meal. I have been a "victim" of such a mistake once. Crew was inconvenienced when I requested them to put together something with cheese , fruits , nuts....
Ever since then as we all settle down I get hold of the CCmember serving "my side" and remind her/him of my AVML. Has worked every time since then. Most travels in J, occasional F.
I order a VLML and there's only been once when it wasn't loaded. Crew found something from another cabin and I didn't go hungry. If the OP had booked a VLML then it might have helped solve the problem. The main course in F for a VLML always was the same as you get in CW
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
The older you get the more you grow to realise that you have never seen it all and new surprises happen every day. I wonder what the passenger in 3K who presumably hadn’t asked for any food thought when presented with the OP’s food mid-Atlantic! I can see how some people would just go with it rather than make a fuss but it does seem strange.

OP - will you write in? This is one of those situations where, once the meal has been eaten, if there isn’t a spare, it is very difficult to fix. You also mention seat power issues and seat issues.

I think you need to decide whether you want to pursue it further (and if you do, what you would like to achieve). 6,500 Avios for no main meal in international first class (and the service cock up that led to it - yes mistakes happen but it should be put right) feels low to me, so I’d be tempted to write a concise letter to BA and see what they say. I suspect they will politely tell you they’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive your first choice of meal and they understand how disappointing this must have been but having reviewed the case thoroughly they are unable to offer you anything more, but if you don’t ask you don’t get*.

*except in the case of Mr/s 3K who didn’t ask for pork 6 hours into the flight but got it anyway.
it is more concerning that that. The OP was allergic to all the other choices, so he had no meal regardless of choice left.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Was 3Ks table set when the pork was presented? It would have been a red flag if not?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
The mistake was a relatively minor one, albeit one that had an impact on the OP's enjoyment of the flight. At the point the mistake is discovered it seems to me that the situation should be relatively easy to salvage, but it does not sound to me as though the crew handled the next bit very well. It's not clear what alternatives were offered, although clearly they did make some effort to accommodate the OP, but due to allergy the alternative was not feasible. The OP might need to expand on that in more detail. I would have have expected them to make every effort to cobble together something, including looking at CW meals etc., offering dessert, cheese etc. To be fair, most BA crews I've come across seem pretty good at such improvisation.

What's definitely not good is telling the other passenger. Very poor and unprofessional.

And of course the state of the cabin adds to the poor impression.

It just seems to me that this could have been de-escalated to the point of very much being a non-story, but instead the OP is left feeling very disappointed, which is a shame. Complaints about BA F are quite frequent. I think the main problem is not that is is a terrible product, but simply that too often the expectations are greater than what BA seemingly is able to or willing to deliver.
Why cross examine OP on his allergy problems ? If there are so many excuses of "may, should, mistake " etc can be advanced in defense of the CC why not take OP's word at face value ?
Old May 20, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

the staff member disciplined for not doing their job properly
This immediately evoked a mental image of Bart Simpson in a BA uniform writing the number 3 over and over on a blackboard. Or was it the number 2, I can't remember, sorry I'm not IQ-ing very well this morning.
nancypants and gazzer666 like this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; May 20, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old May 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Doesn’t surprise me.

Generally the ability of BA crew is terrible. Mix the usually laziness they display with lack of ability and this is what you get.

in this case it’s a issue of laziness not to check the order and then the lack of IQ to fix it
BA should go back to the old days of not letting crew anywhere near F until they’ve flown for a few years and proven themselves capable of being let loose on premium cabins.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
BA should go back to the old days of not letting crew anywhere near F until they’ve flown for a few years and proven themselves capable of being let loose on premium cabins.
There is a problem with this if your staffing model assumes that they won't be on board after a few years
IAMORGAN, RJD1983, MarkLHR and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Now mistakes can and do happen. BA has some very inexperienced crew, even in F on that route, which means they must expect the incidence of mistakes to be higher and plan for it. I always say that it’s not the mistakes which count but the way in which they are handled and it does seem that the CSM didn’t handle this too well. I find this a bigger failing than the crew member that made the mistake with the meal in the first place. BA must also answer for the failing as an organisation because I also suspect that a lack of catering loaded has probably limited the CSM’s ability to offer the OP alternative meals. Surely something could be found on board even if it meant raiding CW and PE catering and the club kitchen.

Can I help you and nancypants like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Why cross examine OP on his allergy problems ? If there are so many excuses of "may, should, mistake " etc can be advanced in defense of the CC why not take OP's word at face value ?
I am taking the OP at face value. The point I am making is that whilst it is clear that the CC did something to find alternatives, it is not clear exactly what lengths they went to. It may have been significant lengths, or it may have been not no significant lengths. If their response was perfunctory, then it reflects even more poorly on the CC. There was no cross examination, either on allergy problems or at all.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.