FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   In First - Meal given to another passenger (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1970371-first-meal-given-another-passenger.html)

MSPeconomist May 19, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by origin (Post 31117031)
Yes but I have spent enough time loitering around west london to know that an older disgruntled lady is never satisfied and would have caused much more fuss.

What does anything here have to do with some older disgruntled lady? Are you suggesting that a young man would be happy to have his specially ordered meal given to another passenger?

joejet May 19, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by London21 (Post 31117026)

the staff member disciplined for not doing their job properly

NO thats not required, she was embarrised and upset by her mistake, I dont even think it was her who told the 3K customer. Anyway I might write in just to put it on record, the food was a mistake it could of been handled diffrently, the seat falling apart and power not working are not acceptable on a full F paid ticket. (well not aceptabble on a redemption either).

The worse thing was from MIA we were conecting to GCM and LHR had rung ahead to the AA Lounge to confirm entry off a F arrival as we were supposed to be connecting AA but this was changed to Cayman Airways, then that was delayed and put in terminal J. The oneworld lounge their would not let us in, I gave up and had a McDonalds, it was very tasty as I was so hungry. The GCM flight was delayed and did not arrive till gone midnight 24 hours after leaving the UK hotel.

Not the best end to the trip.

On a side note my wife who ate a lot earlier said the pork was great a lot better than the beef on some of the other legs, not sure if she was just rubbing it in though :)
JJ

BarneyMcGrew May 19, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by joejet (Post 31117084)
I gave up and had a McDonalds, it was very tasty as I was so hungry.

JJ

For heavens sake, don’t take one of those into First class! You will have a sneaky picture taken of the offending bag and a multi-page thread will start on FT!

So, can I take it you have a better chance of two dinners in 3K, rather than no dinner in 2K (as I frantically remove myself from 2K and into to 3K for my flights in July)?

I recently had the pork when I flew First to Chicago and to be honest the meal was pretty small in size. I am not really surprised Mr/Mrs 3K accepted second helpings!

Did he/she have your starter & pudding as well?

HFHFFlyer May 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Slightly off topic but my experiences in F with BA out of MIA are consistently dire. I’m not sure what it is. It may simply be a MF destination that attracts lots of young and inexperienced crew who are hungover to hell by the time they start work on the inbound. I’ve had no offer of a boarding drink, amenity kit or PJs on one flight, to being asked what was wrong with the white wine when I asked to change to red for my beef, to being told it’s pudding or cheese but not both, to just surly and disinterested teenagers doing the bare minimum. I now actively avoid using the route with BA.

SQTraveller May 19, 2019 6:55 pm

I don't understand what was to gain from the crew telling the other passenger that they had your meal.

corporate-wage-slave May 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 31116763)
I'm not saying it's the crew's fault, I can make mistakes too, I just feel they should have some system or plan or something.

There is actually a piece of paperwork that crew work to, with a grid on it, passenger names and meal / drink choices, which is kept in the galley. Now either the meal was written down for the wrong seat, or the person misread the handwritten information, or just miscounted the number of seats as they walked down the aisle. Now those of us who have never, ever sat in the wrong seat by mistake, no matter how briefly, are fully entitled to cast the first stone.

Having said that, one of the arts of good service is rapid recovery from mistakes. The OP had some dietary constraints which inhibited this somewhat, but in the ideal world there would have been a Plan B Meal and copious champagne which would smooth over any ruffled feathers, and before long the OP would have been saluting their good fortune to miss out on the pork. Unfortunately that also didn't happen here.

TTmex May 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31116869)
I hate to hear about these service failures, they do not make good reading and of course they should never happen but I have noticed that one of posters appear out of nowhere on these threads to have a pop at BA, they then disappear back into their holes.
Oh well that the joy on the internet, I guess it makes them happy!

I've flown many BA legs now. Always loved the service. Keep up the good work. Many of us appreciate what you do.

​​​​

danielonn May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by joejet (Post 31116684)
So I was flying LHR to MIA in F yesterday and I had preordered the pork. I asked for the food later in the flight as I had eaten Lunch at LHR. Anyway about 6 hours into the flight I asked for my meal to be made and then the crew delivered it to 3K instead of 2K. the passenger did not say anything and ate my dinner, I did not see they had served it to him either.

When I went back to the galley about 40 mins after asking they said oh have you not already eaten....... NO
The crew member in question was quite upset The other crew members offer to see if they had something else left.... well there was but I was allergic to some of the ingredients. this is why I went through the trouble of calling you First to get the Menus and chef notes on ingredients, below I.flew, and yes my meal I had preordered.

Anyway I asked for the CSM, he was busy and we had not seem him at all the entire flight, so I went to find him in club. he gave me 6500 avis and said I should write in as that’s all he could do, my seat was falling apart and the power sockets worked about 20% of the time. BA First needs to go, it’s hardly a step up from business and with filthy cabins and the new improvements to CW when it rolls out I can’t see a future. This was the last of 4 legs in First then the 2x 747’s were filthy and very tired.

One final thing the crew told the passenger behind he had my meal, it was his first time in First but embarrassing for him and me.

That is my rant over

JJ

Ask for another flight in F and for reimbursement of the flight as you did not get the meal which is a big part of the flight let alone your pre ordered meal was given to someone else. One would reasonably thing that the Pre Ordered meal can be had at anytime during the flight and it was well within your right to wait for the meal. Did you tell the flight attendant that you wanted to wait for the meal? Your name was on the meal so rightfully so you assumed you could have it at any time. You have a valid reason for pre ordering the meal due to food allergies. A $100 is not enough you could tell the airline you preordered the meal due to food allergies. A good airline would give you good compensation.

danielonn May 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by joejet (Post 31117084)
NO thats not required, she was embarrised and upset by her mistake, I dont even think it was her who told the 3K customer. Anyway I might write in just to put it on record, the food was a mistake it could of been handled diffrently, the seat falling apart and power not working are not acceptable on a full F paid ticket. (well not aceptabble on a redemption either).

The worse thing was from MIA we were conecting to GCM and LHR had rung ahead to the AA Lounge to confirm entry off a F arrival as we were supposed to be connecting AA but this was changed to Cayman Airways, then that was delayed and put in terminal J. The oneworld lounge their would not let us in, I gave up and had a McDonalds, it was very tasty as I was so hungry. The GCM flight was delayed and did not arrive till gone midnight 24 hours after leaving the UK hotel.

Not the best end to the trip.

On a side note my wife who ate a lot earlier said the pork was great a lot better than the beef on some of the other legs, not sure if she was just rubbing it in though :)
JJ

If it were me I would go right to the OW Lounge and tell them I have NOT eaten because BA served my meal to someone else.. I would have asked the CSM to inform the Gate Supervisor meeting your flight to override AA's policy and grant you access at the very least along with a voucher to eat a good meal or ask that BA overnnight you in MIA and pay your hotel, food and other expenses for your inconvenience. I would have not left MIA without a good meal and no not at Mc Donalds. BA should have dealt with the Lounge Supervisor and Ground Services Manager at MIA and even offer you Golden Key service for what took place. In fact I would have asked for a BA VIP Services agent to get me through Customs and Passport Control directly to the lounge and pay for whatever the cost would be for a Day Pass on BA"s dime or via a Voucher.

I would have even told the AA Lounge Agent that I need to eat due to a medical condition and not on my dime and not at a Fast Food restaurant. If they refused me access I would have said take it up with BA remember I am your customer and I am hangry ! No this is not entitlement I paid good money on a BA Flight for FC service and the least that I could get is a shower and food Where is the Service Recovery! If I were BA I would have allowed you access to the OW Lounge as a start then offer you other compensation later. It would cost less to allow you to access the OW Lounge than paying for a restaurant voucher.

Yes a mistake happened but there are consequences. First take care of the passenger then take care of reprimanding the crew.

danielonn May 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 31117058)

I reckon about half of the crew I fly with on MF have at least an undergrad degree or are studying for one. They’re more than capable of doing their jobs and they definitely don’t lack the IQ or the ability to do so. Let’s not make sweeping, insulting generalisations about people you don’t know.
The crewmember clearly made a genuine mistake that shouldn’t have happened. I’m damn sure they won’t make it again.

Even a first grader could read a name and know its not for anyone else like an invitation to a party! If I got Suzy's invitation I would not open it and give it to Suzy even if I was not invited to the part.y. Your name is clearly posted on the front of the Meal with your Seat # and PNR#. The Manifest would show your pre-ordered meal so this is a second confirmation. Hence this is the reason that you must order your meal no later than 24 hours or so before your flight. Gee whiz I would make for a better Flight Attendant or Cabin Service Manager as I would greet everyone in the cabin with the Meal Order manifest and ensure that everyone got their Special Meal or Pre Ordered meal. I think this job should be left up to the Cabin Service Manager and not just some random flight attendant who can't decipher 2K from 3K. I know even the best people make mistakes but this one was so avoidable.

All the Flight attendant had to say is this Mr Jenkins and did you pre-order the meal? If he said no then they would move on and give it to the right person.

Normally when you board (I have pre ordered a Meal) I was greeted by my name and the Pursuer said"I see that you have pre-ordered a meal would you like to be served now or later"? I asked for it in an hour and it was ready on the nose!

HMPS May 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by London21 (Post 31116907)

noting the wrong seat number down proves my point I think. Not rocket science.

OP, I always have a special AVML meal. I have been a "victim" of such a mistake once. Crew was inconvenienced when I requested them to put together something with cheese , fruits , nuts....
Ever since then as we all settle down I get hold of the CCmember serving "my side" and remind her/him of my AVML. Has worked every time since then. Most travels in J, occasional F.

Bullswood May 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 31118248)
Ask for another flight in F and for reimbursement of the flight as you did not get the meal which is a big part of the flight let alone your pre ordered meal was given to someone else.

With suggestions like that it's no wonder customer relations departments become hard-nosed. A human made a mistake, as we all do (except perhaps for this poster: "Gee whiz I would make for a better Flight Attendant or Cabin Service Manager "), and I think the OP's account & follow up comments have been very reasonable in the circumstances.

BarneyMcGrew May 20, 2019 12:02 am

I was expecting some wag to post that they recently had a most enjoyable flight from LHR to Miami in First Class, with a fantastic crew.

The flight was only marginally spoilt by another First-Class passenger moaning about his seat not working correctly and complaining about food.

The new First-Class catering offer is much improved. In particular, instead of the small second meal of a couple of finger sandwiches and two micro scones, they now serve a second full meal at around the six-hour point.

You don’t even have to pre-order this, it just appears. The pork was delicious.

The complainer was last seen making a dash for MacDonald’s! I simply cannot understand how anyone can prefer Maccy D’s fare to the delicious meals served on board.

Yours etc

IAMORGAN May 20, 2019 12:55 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 31118308)
Even a first grader could read a name and know its not for anyone else like an invitation to a party! If I got Suzy's invitation I would not open it and give it to Suzy even if I was not invited to the part.y. Your name is clearly posted on the front of the Meal with your Seat # and PNR#. The Manifest would show your pre-ordered meal so this is a second confirmation. Hence this is the reason that you must order your meal no later than 24 hours or so before your flight. Gee whiz I would make for a better Flight Attendant or Cabin Service Manager as I would greet everyone in the cabin with the Meal Order manifest and ensure that everyone got their Special Meal or Pre Ordered meal. I think this job should be left up to the Cabin Service Manager and not just some random flight attendant who can't decipher 2K from 3K. I know even the best people make mistakes but this one was so avoidable.

All the Flight attendant had to say is this Mr Jenkins and did you pre-order the meal? If he said no then they would move on and give it to the right person.

Normally when you board (I have pre ordered a Meal) I was greeted by my name and the Pursuer said"I see that you have pre-ordered a meal would you like to be served now or later"? I asked for it in an hour and it was ready on the nose!

The crew did know 2K had ordered the pork, the point is that the customer asked to defer that meal to a later point in the flight. So verifying the meals as you would have done (and the crew on the day no doubt did) at the start of the flight wouldn’t have achieved anything. Also keep in mind one or more of the F cabin crew may well have been on a rest period at the 6 hour point so it may have been left to a CC member who didn’t serve the customer originally to prepare / serve the meal. In terms of morale, how would you as, say, a World Class grade MF crew member or a CSL feel if the CSM or CSD said “I got this leave it to me”? Sounds like a micro management approach where a manager has the initial conversation with customer, promises x/y/z and leaves it to team to deliver, which can cause its own issues. The CSM/D can’t individually check & serve all of the special meals on an A380!

I am still chuckling at the thought of passenger 3K sat there half way through a film or something and crew arrives with tablecloth “I’m here to set your table Mr 2K.” “Umm...ok”!

MFCC May 20, 2019 2:02 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 31118308)

I guess I’ll see you on your new entrant course in a couple of months then.