Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a cello on BA sounds like a nightmare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with a cello on BA sounds like a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:12 am

I'm surprised he had such difficulty. You'd imagine he's a man who knows how to pull a few strings.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by mastutio
I'm surprised he had such difficulty. You'd imagine he's a man who knows how to pull a few strings.
I though the strings were just excited, not pulled.
nilsfr69 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Pickles
One can only guess, indeed. In the Afternoon Tea without tea discussion, we're all guessing as to whether BA meant to (a) deceive the traveling public with their villainous treachery, (b) can't write clear copy to save its own life and hence incompetent, or (c) meant exactly what it said, and it's crystal clear that said Afternoon Tea comes without tea. You've taken a strong view that (c) is correct, which may be. But this involves a superb ability to both correctly parse the unclear written word and the mind-reading skills to conclude that BA has written lucid competent copy and not a villain out to get an additional 2 and a half quid for the tea. Given the multi-page debate on the Afternoon Tea without tea incident, this position is not credible to many (perhaps most) of the posters there.

The text was unclear for you or the others, but it was not unclear to me. I did not require mind-reading skills to read the menu. BA will always be a villain here for some people, so it is no wonder that some of its decisions and actions will be interpreted as such.

... before reaching a conclusion that since you don't know what he's saying, he's automatically a shrill diva and his complaint is not valid.

I am sorry but what? I never said that he was a diva, nor did I say that his complaint was not valid. There was no complaint to speak of because no one knows what the issue was. I said that his rants did not make sense, and I could not understand what the post was trying to achieve or say.

This is in contradiction to your previous strands of logic in the tea thread, where you were able to interpret some pretty unclear text, infer BA's intent, and reach a conclusion on said intent.

There is no contradiction. Comparing the two threads is very far-fetched.

In the case of the errant cellist, your inability to parse equally unclear text leads you throw your arms up in despair and conclude that this world-class cellist is just a world-class DYKWIA.

Again - what? I never said that he was a DYKWIA. Please stop ascribing words to me that I never said. You must be confusing me with someone else.

At the very least, you ought to be consistent, and either admit that it's unclear what BA is saying about the tea, or assert in your own lucid and expressive way what it is the cellist is saying and then conclude he's a DYKWIA.
Why would I 'admit' that it is unclear what BA is saying if I don't think so and if the menu could not have been more clear to me? To please other people? I would be lying. I admitted that if people have not read the menu but had their attention grabbed by the 'afternoon tea' headline they may have been confused that the menu is actually three individual items. Reading the menu would actually help. And how can I deduct what this guy's issue was at check-in if it could have been a myriad of issues? Here, no matter how carefully one reads his tweets all one would get is that there was some issue but no specifics.

Again, I have no problem with the guy. I simply asked what this thread was doing here because it was not saying anything specific, nor was it seeking to resolve anything. It'd have been a different story of course if the original post were not a re-post of the tweets but if the guy actually posted himself. At least, we could have asked him to clarify what the issue was.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Browsing through Mr. Isserlis' Twitter feed, he seems to have problems with BA check-in almost every time he flies with them (5 Dec, 12 Feb, 19 Apr...). On 7 Feb he posts about "coping with the inevitable and interminable problem checking in the cello with BA". On 10 January he even thanked BA for not holding him up at check-in.

So, clearly, there is some kind of recurring, possibly systemic, issue with travelling with a cello on BA but, frustratingly, he never explains what the actual issue is.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Misco60
Browsing through Mr. Isserlis' Twitter feed, he seems to have problems with BA check-in almost every time he flies with them (5 Dec, 12 Feb, 19 Apr...). On 7 Feb he posts about "coping with the inevitable and interminable problem checking in the cello with BA". On 10 January he even thanked BA for not holding him up at check-in.

So, clearly, there is some kind of recurring, possibly systemic, issue with travelling with a cello on BA but, frustratingly, he never explains what the actual issue is.
Do you think he maybe orchestrates the situation? (taxi - I'll get my coat)
Old May 20, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Do you think he maybe orchestrates the situation? (taxi - I'll get my coat)
Apparently his claims are bassless.

I'll share that taxi
Old May 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Don't mean to sound like an f-hole but this talented artist really needs to pluck up courage when travelling with the cello on BA.

Uber?
Old May 20, 2019, 4:32 pm

Location: Relocated to YYJ in 2017, got bored and moved to YVR
Programs: AC - Elite 50K, BA - down to Bronze, SQ - down to Silver, IHG - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond
At least he wasn’t trying to travel with a viola. They really get a bad deal. Just Google viola jokes🤪
Old May 20, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MNMAA
Don't mean to sound like an f-hole but this talented artist really needs to pluck up courage when travelling with the cello on BA.

Uber?
Uber Pool?

Although at this rate, you might all be better off pre-booking a minibus.
Brighterside likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Apparently his claims are bassless.

I'll share that taxi
Surely a musician of his calibre is capable of conducting himself better, despite being strung along by BA and HAL

TTmex likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I wish I took a photo but yesterday I got off a plane with a cello strapped to a flat CW seat right next to me. I thought it was blocked and TS was doing its thing, only to get on the plane to see it just chilling horizontally all the way from pushback to the gate!!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Foofighter69
I wish I took a photo but yesterday I got off a plane with a cello strapped to a flat CW seat right next to me. I thought it was blocked and TS was doing its thing, only to get on the plane to see it just chilling horizontally all the way from pushback to the gate!!
did it get its first choice of main course?
TTmex likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If I were the BA Manager on duty to go and deal with this issue I'd be tempted to burst into the famous song by Lionel Ritchie by singing

Cello...………..

It is me yoooor looking for...…..

Taxi for PETER01 please
wrp96 and TTmex like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

did it get its first choice of main course?
.The pork, about 6 hours into the flight.
Dambus, wrp96, Deltus and 1 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubh
.The pork, about 6 hours into the flight.
OK, you win.
Brilliant
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.