Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HEL and DME/SVO - doable as a 241 open jaw?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HEL and DME/SVO - doable as a 241 open jaw?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Not BA related (apart from the route suspension) but last trip I used the 3 day visa free rule to go to StP by ferry from HEL.
https://stpeterline.com/visa-free-rule
The 3 day visa is obviously great for short trips, but we were wanting to spend the best part of a week in StP and then moving on to Moscow for 4 or 5 nights.

Last edited by bakera; May 27, 2019 at 3:38 am Reason: corrected typo
Old May 20, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
1. Both DME and SVO lounges are quite mediocre though I personally prefer one at DME.
SVO is a bit more accessible from Central Moscow. DME could be a better choice if you are staying in the southern parts of the city.
2. Consider taking a sleeper train to Moscow vs Sapsan. Latter is just another high speed service; very sterile with no character. First class on the classic "Red Arrow" is excellent - you won't regret it.
3. Unlike St. Pete, Moscow is huge and not very walkable. I recommend getting around by metro: it is fast, reliable, and cheap. Get Yandex Metro app - it is super useful to navigate the city.
4. When in Moscow check out Zaryadie Park next to the Red Square and Kolomenskoye and Tzaritsino Parks (southern suburbs of Moscow) those are quite impressive. Peterhoff is a must see when in St.Pete.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by luitje
2. Consider taking a sleeper train to Moscow vs Sapsan. Latter is just another high speed service; very sterile with no character. First class on the classic "Red Arrow" is excellent - you won't regret it.
I thought about doing this last trip but I couldn't justify the cost of two cabins versus two seats. I love trains and have travelled from Stoke to Beijing by train. In case there's anyone who isn't aware of it, seat61 is a pretty good place to start your research on train journeys.
https://www.seat61.com/Russia-trains...g%20by%20train

There's a lot more good stuff to do in and around Moscow than there is by St Petersburg IMO (of course you could spend any amount of time in either).
So I would be tempted to spend longer in Moscow.
We did some Golden Ring places last time which was a nice counterbalance to the brutalism of central Moscow and the Neo-classical of St P.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

I thought about doing this last trip but I couldn't justify the cost of two cabins versus two seats.
Why would you want 2 cabins? First class suites in Red Arrow accommodate 2 people, so with 2 First Class seats you and your OH will have a cabin to yourself.
I have just checked and 1st class seat on Red Arrow is priced at RUR 6,207 (GBP 76) vs. cheapest Sapsan seat going at RUR 3,400 (GBP 42). Factor in that you are saving on one nigh at the hotel (and they could be pricey in Moscow) and price of a free dinner and breakfast you get in First Class and spending GBP150 starts making much more sense economically then spending 80 quid for a train ticket and then at least another hundred on the hotel room. Also book directly with Russian Railways; travel agents charge an insane commission. I like their app - lookup RZD on App Store; they have an English version and it is very easy to use.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
You won't need the app for RZD. Bookings can be done on the web as well.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:23 pm

Why would you want 2 cabins? First class suites in Red Arrow accommodate 2 people, so with 2 First Class seats you and your OH will have a cabin to yourself.
I wasn't travelling with OH. Happy to sit next to friend on day ride, not happy to sleep with them
bakera likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:25 pm

recommend getting around by metro: it is fast, reliable, and cheap.
I think this is Troika (three horses) in Moscow and Podorozhnik (ladybird) in St Petersburg. Much easier than buying tickets for each trip even if you end up leaving credit on the cards after you need them.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:54 am

I think this is Troika (three horses) in Moscow .
Probably just me but name troika makes me cringe as NKVD Troika pops up in my mind immediately (guess I overdid my Russian studies in college). I normally use my Visa with a pay pass - normally accepted at turnstiles closest to the station attendants - it is probably a tad more expensive than using troika, but I don't mind paying premium to avoid queues to buy it.
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by luitje; May 27, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old May 27, 2019, 4:15 am

I think this is Troika (three horses) in Moscow and Podorozhnik (ladybird) in St Petersburg. Much easier than buying tickets for each trip even if you end up leaving credit on the cards after you need them.
I asked the hotel front counter staff to write down the instructions for buying these cards. They were happy to do it and it made buying them *a lot* easier than when I tried to do it using my abysmal Russian.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:06 am

SVO Main lounge area yesterday, out of shot is the food counter and a manned bar. The food consisted of 3 hot choices, one of which was chicken liver noodles, the second was chicken drumsticks and the third was vegetarian. All in all a fairly un remarkable lounge. Wine vending machine was novel though.

Work pods

Certainly recommend the Ritz Rooftop for a beer and view of Kremlin/re square.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Certainly recommend the Ritz Rooftop for a beer and view of Kremlin/re square.
That's a pretty good view. I usually end up at the roof terrace of the Ararat Park Hyatt near the theatre, but I might well go for the Ritz next time. I can recommend Hotel National next to the Ritz (the rooms are a lot cheaper even if the bar isn't) and the Dr Zhivago cafe (not part of the hotel but inside it).
Is there a rooftop option at the four seasons? That should be even better.
Never used the lounge at any Russian airport despite having access, not really sure why, probably just time as I tend not to be hanging around there long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.